Facebook & Twitter cause long delays

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited November 2015

I am in a situation where Facebook, Twitter and the like are blocked and there is nothing I can do to change that.  It's not a problem for me because I don't use those sites anyway.  My problem happens when I open a page on another website and they have links to Facebook and Twitter and try to load stuff from those sites while it is loading.  The page is probably trying to load a graphic and/or ad but my browser tries to connect to those sites and eventually times out but I can wait up to 1 ½ minutes before my browser gives up and finishes loading the other portion of the web page.

Is there any way to block a web page from trying to link to information on Facebook or Twitter?  I use Firefox for my normal browser but this extended wait happens in Safari, Chrome and Opera too.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Either something like ghostery or trackmenot. Ghostery may cause a few problems with amazon if you're using it on firefox. I haven't tried that combination in a while and just enabling the right things should fix that anyway. Neither one is perfect. I don't know about trackmenot, but ghostery should be available for safari. I don't know about opera. Do you have to test things across a number of different browsers?

• Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Either something like ghostery or trackmenot. Ghostery may cause a few problems with amazon if you're using it on firefox. I haven't tried that combination in a while and just enabling the right things should fix that anyway. Neither one is perfect. I don't know about trackmenot, but ghostery should be available for safari. I don't know about opera. Do you have to test things across a number of different browsers?

I just installed ghostery in Firefox and found many of the websites I use frequently load incredibly faster.  Thanks for the heads up.

• Reply 3 of 3
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JimInSD View Post

I just installed ghostery in Firefox and found many of the websites I use frequently load incredibly faster.  Thanks for the heads up.

No problem. If it causes something to stop working, just click the ghostery tab and enable the appropriate trackers.