Apple introduces 'Categories' section to tvOS App Store

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited November 2015
Continuing the build out of its all new tvOS App Store, Apple on Wednesday added a "Categories" section to the online marketplace's top navigation bar for a more streamlined app browsing experience.

As with the tvOS Top Charts section added on Monday, the new Categories section presents a more efficient browsing method than sifting through Apple's selection of Featured apps or using the cumbersome search tool.

Like the iOS App Store, Categories on tvOS lets viewers browse available apps by genre, though current offerings are limited to Games and Entertainment. The two categories are dominating the tvOS charts and are arguably of most interest to users.

As developers submit more apps Apple is expected to populate Categories with additional genre selections similar to those offered on the iOS and Mac App Stores.

Fourth-generation Apple TV owners can find the Categories section in the App Store's top navigation bar. If the browsing option is not present, force quit App Store in the tvOS app switcher and reopen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member

I think games will need to have a bit more granularity.

I'm curious if Apple will open up screensavers. Yes, the new ones are pretty, but it'd be nice to customize them to display useful information, like a clock or weather. 

I also wonder if Siri on my watch could be expanded to put information up on a screen saver if I ask her to. "Hey Siri. Put a traffic map on <my apple tv name>"

Lots of potential.

• Reply 2 of 30
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Looks like we should be seeing fairly regular improvements.

I am liking things pretty much so far.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    The new Apple TV is becoming more awesome all the time. I love my ATV4, purchased on Launch Day!
  • Reply 4 of 30

A way to enter text via and updated Remote App or Bluetooth Keyboard is needed.  Let's hope one or both of these arrive soon!

• Reply 5 of 30
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

The new Apple TV is becoming more awesome all the time. I love my ATV4, purchased on Launch Day!

Be careful what you say in here. The malcontent/naysayer army will target you as an Apple shill. We can’t have people running around saying they like Apple products and services.

• Reply 6 of 30
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    No remote app or BT KB is an atrocity.

Really my only gripe.
  • Reply 7 of 30

Thank You for the advice.  I am not an Apple Shill, but I do appreciate your suggestion.

Thanks,

Alan

• Reply 8 of 30
    msantti wrote: »
    No remote app or BT KB is an atrocity.

Really my only gripe.

Not sure what a BT KB is but I installed a Logitech harmony elite at the same time as my ATV4 and Rarely use the apple remote itself.

The harmony on screen is impressive on my iPad Air.

Both the Apple tv's remote and the harmony app work at the same time through our airport router. Blue tooth works outside well on both controllers
  • Reply 9 of 30
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    Love this device even more then its predecessor. Can't wait for Nintendo to join the mix and add classic games like Super Mario and MarioKart.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    How do you force quit the App Store?
  • Reply 11 of 30

All we have in Canada is Featured, Purchased and Search. (My software is up to date)

Will be glad to see Top Charts and Categories arrive.

Now, if Netflix will add the ability to jump to category and show results in a grid and not just a row I'll be happy. While Siri helps finding stuff, the app needs some improvement.

• Reply 12 of 30
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post

All we have in Canada is Featured, Purchased and Search. (My software is up to date)

Will be glad to see Top Charts and Categories arrive.

Now, if Netflix will add the ability to jump to category and show results in a grid and not just a row I'll be happy. While Siri helps finding stuff, the app needs some improvement.

Yeah, the Netflix app is pretty sparse, no way to sort in any meaningful way. Why can't we organize movies by category or release date? Hopefully gets an update soon. 

I'm also in Canada, and only get those 2 options. I'm confident we'll get them soon though. 

• Reply 13 of 30
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member

I keep learning new things it can do. I just found how to replace three different remote controls with just the Apple TV remote. It now controls the TV, the Sound Bar and the Apple TV itself. Amazing!
  • Reply 14 of 30
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Yeah, the Netflix app is pretty sparse, no way to sort in any meaningful way. Why can't we organize movies by category or release date? Hopefully gets an update soon. 

I'm also in Canada, and only get those 2 options. I'm confident we'll get them soon though. 

Hi there Slurpy!

Is the Canadian version of Netflix different from the USA one?

BTW I just discovered Dr. Who season 8 is on Netflix so I am a very happy big kid :)
  • Reply 15 of 30
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

A way to enter text via and updated Remote App or Bluetooth Keyboard is needed.  Let's hope one or both of these arrive soon!

Honestly I'd prefer they get dictation integrated so that you can voice search/input most of the UI, instead of the incredibly dumbed down level that Siri achieves on it right now.

Bluetooth keyboards are unnecessary. The Remote App needs to work obviously, but I'd rather NOT have to reach for it as the primary method of text input. The need need need to get dictation working. I know that traditionally voice entry for passwords is not acceptable, but maybe Apple could innovate here.

• Reply 16 of 30

I like the idea of dictation search with SIRI.

Or, perhaps "show me all casual games"... "those by 'company name' "

Many interesting possibilities here.

• Reply 17 of 30

Wow!  How did you program the Apple TV SIRI Remote to change the channel on your TV?

I bet is has something to do with Learning the remote commands.

Could be we "almost" have the equivalent of a Harmony Remote in our hands, and we don't know it.

Many possibilities ahead for the ATV4 and beyond.

• Reply 18 of 30
    slurpy wrote: »

Yeah, here in Australia we only have those options. I agree that it shouldn't be too long before we see it updated.

I really like the new look of the Netflix app but as you've said there is room for a few additional features.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    Common Apple, update the remote app already. The remote app is very useful, specially when imputing passwords.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by idrey View Post

Common Apple, update the remote app already. The remote app is very useful, specially when imputing passwords.

I'm surprised no one has asked this but: We need iCloud Keychain and/or 1Password. For all intents and purposes, a tvOS device is the same as an iOS device and shares these needs.

Would be great to pull up the 1Password extension every time you need to input a login.