rezwitsrezwits Posts: 896member

True:)

Just trying to make sense of 10 USB :P

• Reply 42 of 65
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    rezwits wrote: »

If they are USB-C there is nothing to make sense of. 10 ports is really nothing these days.
  • Reply 43 of 65
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 896member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rezwits View Post

what if they were 10 usb-c, and that was all? and on HDMI, or no HDMI, no Thunderbolt, no Power. 3 Video and 1 Power would be 4? That leaves 6 ports, just a thought...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bkkcanuck View Post

Just an insane thought.....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

If they are USB-C there is nothing to make sense of. 10 ports is really nothing these days.

?One guy says it was an insane thought, the other says it make perfects sense.  I'm confused :D

Insane as in good?  That's all I can make of it...

• Reply 44 of 65
    Quote:

?One guy says it was an insane thought, the other says it make perfects sense.  I'm confused :D

Insane as in the english language "insane" (not sane; not of sound mind; mentally deranged; etc.).  

10 USB ports - no thunderbolt wound be insane..... 

I could see them doing 6 USB-C/Thunderbolt connectors and 4 USB only connectors....  (which would mirror the existing Thunderbolt/USB makeup of the current model).  

• Reply 45 of 65
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

There's not much to figure out. There are 10 TB and USB ports on the Mac Pro right now.

Putting less ports on the new machine would have introduced a port shortage problem needlessly.

• Reply 46 of 65

Apple internal security must be insane. Maybe not US intel service level, but I bet the employees feel that way. What an adorable way for this to leak.

• Reply 47 of 65
    Originally Posted by g4cube View Post

Additional 4 USB 3.0 ports...

Something tells me that if they do 6 Thunderbolt 3+USB C combos that those will be the only ports other than an HDMI and two 3.5mm. It’s an opportunity to sell up to six dongles, after all. Ah, they kept the dual Ethernet on the first cylinder, didn’t they? Okay, 2 gigabit Ethernet, too.

Originally Posted by bkkcanuck View Post

Insane as in the english language "insane" (not sane; not of sound mind; mentally deranged; etc.).  

It’d only be insane in the ‘superlative description’ way, though. And only because the ports couldn’t be driven by the number of controllers (right?).

• Reply 48 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Something tells me that if they do 6 Thunderbolt 3+USB C combos that those will be the only ports other than an HDMI and two 3.5mm. It’s an opportunity to sell up to six dongles, after all. Ah, they kept the dual Ethernet on the first cylinder, didn’t they? Okay, 2 gigabit Ethernet, too.

1Gbe is so last century..... at least give us an 10Gbe....

• Reply 49 of 65

This is pretty simple really 10 USB ports is nothing these days.
  • Reply 50 of 65

That's what I am saying. I would just make a universal board of all usb-c, done.  Adapter away...

• Reply 51 of 65
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

10 USB ports is nothing these days.

This is APPLE we’re talking about. Four ports on the iMac and FIVE on the Mac Mini. Two on the MacBook Pro (count the Thunderbolt via adapters and it’s 4). They’ve always been port stingy.

• Reply 52 of 65
    Quote:

That's what I am saying. I would just make a universal board of all usb-c, done.  Adapter away...

There is a limited number of PCIe lanes on the processor and the chip sets.  There are a few "cheap" devices that don't need anything but USB, and adding thunderbolt chipsets for all 10 ports would make no sense (keyboard, mouse, average webcam, etc.).  There are things that you really want to reserve for higher priced/low latency devices (DAS, High Speed networking/Fibre-channel/Infiniband, DAS Expansion, PCIe Expansion, Video).  Adding extra ports will not necessarily add more net bandwidth.  Adding more Thunderbolt PCIe lanes when the device is just USB.... is a waste.....   In addition Thunderbolt is not the same as USB - since if you have more devices it is likely to be more organized if you daisy chain them (and balance them).    You already need to reserve a certain amount of PCIe lanes for things like two graphics cards, 4 lanes for each M.2 SSD connector etc.

It would be nice if they had options for 2 processors or even 4 processors..... (though I am not sure Darwin can really put 80+ cores / 160+ threads to full advantage).

• Reply 53 of 65

All I want is Dual Processor, so whatever ports they decide on is cool with me, that's always been Apple choice so...  I just hope I can always get a MacBook Pro with at least 2 USB ports.

• Reply 54 of 65
    All I want is Dual Processor, so whatever ports they decide on is cool with me, that's always been Apple choice so...  I just hope I can always get a MacBook Pro with at least 2 USB ports.

I really doubt that we will see dual chip machines anymore. With the coming process shrink we should see much higher performance out of the XEONs used in these machines. It is all about building hardware for the core market that Mac Pro sells into. In this case dual GPU's mean far more to most people.

By the way I completely understand that there is a niche out there that can and does leverage all the cores available to them. The problem is they represent a niche within the niche that is the Mac Pros market.
  • Reply 55 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bkkcanuck View Post

they don't have the pci-e bandwith for that.

• Reply 56 of 65
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I really doubt that we will see dual chip machines anymore. With the coming process shrink we should see much higher performance out of the XEONs used in these machines. It is all about building hardware for the core market that Mac Pro sells into. In this case dual GPU's mean far more to most people.

I dunno; I’d still like to see the option of either dual CPUs and a GPU or dual GPUs and a CPU.

• Reply 57 of 65
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,443moderator
    joe blasi wrote: »
    bkkcanuck wrote: »

they don't have the pci-e bandwith for that.

There will be new chipsets:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/100-series-chipset-datasheet-vol-1.html

That mentions flexible IO so that ports can be reconfigured for 10Gbps ethernet, USB 3, Thunderbolt etc. Managing to fit 6x TB 3 ports on would be a challenge in itself with 40Gbps each but not all ports have to be full speed all the time.
    I’d still like to see the option of either dual CPUs and a GPU

It might be possible to have another CPU board with memory sticks on it but the core count wouldn't exceed the single CPU option significantly and it means Apple has to design a whole new set of boards for a small portion of the sales. Broadwell goes up to 22-cores in a single chip. Apple might not use the top model but dual-chips aren't going to go much higher. The highest-end chips are expensive:

http://ark.intel.com/products/family/78583/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-v3-Family#@All

The highest GPUs are $1000, two top-end CPUs that Apple would use would be $4000-6000. I know someone always says they would pay for this option but there's not enough people who are willing to pay for it in order for Apple to offer it. The same goes for 128GB+ RAM, Apple doesn't offer it because not enough people are willing to buy it.

I expect single CPU up to 18-core, DDR4 RAM support up to 512GB but Apple offering 64GB
    Dual AMD R9 Fury up to 12-16GB, they could offer a dual NVidia of some sort but dual Tesla/Quadro would be crazy prices. Maybe have one of each? They're committed to OpenCL and I think they like to help AMD stay afloat. They could do a dual-Nvidia option above $1000.
    Up to 1.5-2TB SSD, 2-3GBps
    6xTB3 + 4x USB3. They can have a number of configurations of ports when they don't have to all run at full speed all the time.

They have to be coming out with an external 5K Thunderbolt display. The entry 5K 27" iMac is $1800 so take out the computer parts and they should be able to hit $999.
  • Reply 58 of 65
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bkkcanuck View Post

Until you have cost effective chips to provide that, it won't happen. In fact I doubt Apple would implement it at all.

• Reply 59 of 65

they need more pci-e lanes to bad they can't tap the QPI  bus to add more pci-e lanes. Like how some boards did with AMD's HTX bus.

• Reply 60 of 65
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member

Hopefully, this week will see that iPad thingy debut quickly and then get out of the news cycle.

So we can move on to the real Pro machine debuts: The all-new Mac Pro and MacBook Pro.