Apple opens Vietnamese subsidiary, enabling direct local sales for first time

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2015
Apple has quietly opened up its first subsidiary in Vietnam, a move which should allow direct sales to a burgeoning market, a report said on Thursday.

Apple Vietnam Limited Liability was established in Ho Chi Minh City on Oct. 28, according to an announcement seen by Reuters on the country's business registry website. The firm began with capital of 15 billion dong, or about $672,194.

In addition to selling electronics such as the iPhone, the company will be providing information technology, maintenance, and advising services.

Even though Apple has focused much of its recent attention on China, which saw revenues jump 99 percent year-over-year in the last quarter, Reuters noted that Vietnam has actually been one of the company's strongest performers relative to its size. Sales tripled there in the first half of 2014.

The country's cellphone market has meanwhile grown rapidly in recent years, jumping 26 percent between 2009 and 2013 to 124 million subscribers. By 2013, the number of Internet users had also topped a third of the country's population.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Thanks for the facts and figures to give this story perspective. I didn't know Vietnam was a growth market for Apple!
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Their currency must make for some awkward conversations...
  • Reply 3 of 21

Apple should have came to Thailand years ago! Why aren't they here yet? I think our market one of biggest in SE Asia. 

• Reply 4 of 21
    psitthipo wrote: »
    Apple should have came to Thailand years ago! Why aren't they here yet? I think our market one of biggest in SE Asia. 

Clearly they enter new markets after studying that market and determining viability.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Is android here?
  • Reply 6 of 21
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    cali wrote: »
    Is android here?
    Yes.

Here's an older article discussing the Vietnamese mobile market.
    http://blog.codengo.com/2013/09/business-localization-distribution-three-things-to-consider-when-going-mobile-in-vietnam/
  • Reply 7 of 21
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    "The country's cellphone market has meanwhile grown rapidly in recent years, jumping 26 percent between 2009 and 2013 to 124 million subscribers. "

How? Population is less than 90M.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    cali wrote: »
    Is android here?
    yes, but Android is just for the poor or step stone for iPhone until users can afford one. Talking about the country where 60% of population is under 30 and just like China, people are willing to spend 6-mo salary for an iPhone and always want the latest even though their primary usages are : Talk, Text and Social Networking...well Facebook primarily.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

"The country's cellphone market has meanwhile grown rapidly in recent years, jumping 26 percent between 2009 and 2013 to 124 million subscribers. "

How? Population is less than 90M.

Some people have more than 1 subscription.  It is actually quite common:

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/IT.CEL.SETS.P2?order=wbapi_data_value_2014+wbapi_data_value+wbapi_data_value-last&sort=desc

Some regions (Hong Kong, Macao, Kuwait, Gabon) have more than two subscriptions per person.

I'm guessing a lot of it comes from people having different phones for work and personal use. The numbers also include prepaid accounts that have been used in the last three months.

• Reply 10 of 21
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    How long to an Apple Store in Havana I wonder!
  • Reply 11 of 21

Shop doors go 'ding dong' when you walk in no doubt. ;)
  • Reply 12 of 21
    So sad that so many lives were lost in a meaningless and futile war. It is good to see people can move on and join together to enjoy great products.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    So sad that so many lives were lost in a meaningless and futile war. It is good to see people can move on and join together to enjoy great products.

Second that. Meaningless, futile and immoral. Worse, the lesson wasn't learned.

Amazing that the Vietnamese are open to anything at all from the US.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Donkey Kong expresses frustration at the Vietnamese government’s decrees regarding the economy.png

• Reply 15 of 21
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    flaneur wrote: »
    Second that. Meaningless, futile and immoral. Worse, the lesson wasn't learned.

Amazing that the Vietnamese are open to anything at all from the US.
    Yup, things have come a long ways. The ties are actually close now.

http://thediplomat.com/2015/07/the-dramatic-transformation-in-us-vietnam-relations/
  • Reply 16 of 21
    How long to an Apple Store in Havana I wonder!

"Havana Apple Store!"
    "Sorry, you can't have one!" ;)
  • Reply 17 of 21
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,286member
    The Vietnamese are iPhone crazy. This is good news.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    "Havana Apple Store!"
    "Sorry, you can't have one!" ;)

I give three years tops. :

I can't wait to visit personally speaking, Havana that is not its Apple Store:) I wonder if Jinx still swims there?
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by afrodri View Post

Some people have more than 1 subscription.  It is actually quite common:

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/IT.CEL.SETS.P2?order=wbapi_data_value_2014+wbapi_data_value+wbapi_data_value-last&sort=desc

Some regions (Hong Kong, Macao, Kuwait, Gabon) have more than two subscriptions per person.

I'm guessing a lot of it comes from people having different phones for work and personal use. The numbers also include prepaid accounts that have been used in the last three months.

8 out of 10 people there don't use subscription but prepaid SIM which in turn get dumped after a few months to the point that they ran out of numbers, so they had to add 3-digit prefix to isolate cellular phones from home phone.

• Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BadMonk View Post

The Vietnamese are iPhone crazy. This is good news.

They're iPhone crazy since 2007. I had my iPhone 5 when I was there in Jan 2013 and get what, people offered me $1200 for the 16GB version. Feel it?