Siri on Apple TV will be restricted to just 8 of 80 launch countries, apps limited to 200MB

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Since Siri was such a major part of the keynote introduction of the new ATV this is disappointing to hear. But then I'm not a big fan of Siri anyway. Becsuse so far, Google Now has worked better for me.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    Well I read somewhere that the TV doesn't ship with the remote. Can anyone confirm that?
  • Reply 23 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lymf View Post

Well I read somewhere that the TV doesn't ship with the remote. Can anyone confirm that?

Yes, it ships with a remote: http://www.apple.com/tv/compare/

The article here is merely warning that the remote won't have the Siri button outside of the 8 countries where Siri is supported.  In any case, it'll come with a remote.

• Reply 24 of 30
    Quote: Developer Documentation

Resource Limitations

There is no persistent local storage for apps on Apple TV. This means that every app developed for the new Apple TV must be able to store data in iCloud and retrieve it in a way that provides a great customer experience.

I would interpret this as meaning that game state information can not be stored locally.  

For example, score, levels completed, assets collected, player name, character customizations, etc.

Game data has to be stored in iCloud and not in "the cloud".

Apple is selling 32GB and 64GB versions of the AppleTV so there must be a point to buying more local storage.

• Reply 25 of 30
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    I would interpret this as meaning that game state information can not be stored locally.  
    For example, score, levels completed, assets collected, player name, character customizations, etc.
    Game data has to be stored in iCloud and not in "the cloud".

Apple is selling 32GB and 64GB versions of the AppleTV so there must be a point to buying more local storage.

No. It's about quick downloads. iOS 9 brought in this idea that you downloaded resources when needed not in the original download.

Edit. No that was resource on demand. That's there too. What you say is correct.

I don't think this is about saving space but state across games on all devices.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

No. It's about quick downloads. iOS 9 brought in this idea that you downloaded resources when needed not in the original download.

Edit. No that was resource on demand. That's there too. What you say is correct.

Yes.  You will be able to start a game on the AppleTV and continue it on iPhone or iPad, and vice versa.

This is part of the great customer experience Apple is shooting for.

• Reply 27 of 30
    asdasd wrote: »

Yes.  You will be able to start a game on the AppleTV and continue it on iPhone or iPad, and vice versa.
    This is part of the great customer experience Apple is shooting for.

Many games have this feature built-in, and it is cross platform.
  • Reply 28 of 30

Is it true that an AppleTV 4 bought in Australia (including the Siri remote) would work fine in New Zealand except for some little problems with accents?

• Reply 29 of 30
    Nope, think you want to verify a story before coming out with that. No upgrade to remote required, no difference in hardware except they named it different so people didnt jump up and down that it was called "Siri remote". I have Atv bought and paid in Ireland, yip Siri not there out the box, for giggles changed to my UK (Scottish expat) itunes account and bingo Siri is happy as a pig in the proverbial. Talking into remote no probs*, shes not too hot on the Scottish accent tho.......
  • Reply 30 of 30
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Nope, think you want to verify a story before coming out with that. No upgrade to remote required, no difference in hardware except they named it different so people didnt jump up and down that it was called "Siri remote". I have Atv bought and paid in Ireland, yip Siri not there out the box, for giggles changed to my UK (Scottish expat) itunes account and bingo Siri is happy as a pig in the proverbial. Talking into remote no probs*, shes not too hot on the Scottish accent tho.......

Really? I thought it was a different remote. Did you buy it through some British based online store (Amazon uk?).