Advice: Powerbook G4 as a workstation?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Here is the situation -- I've got a first rev G4 tower as my workstation at the moment, and its starting to creak under the strain! My boss has agreed that I can have a new machine, but he wants to get me a new G4 tower and I want a Powerbook G4. He doesn't think the laptop will be up to running all day everyday as a workstation. I don't know?

[Background: my work is mainly web stuff and print design. I don't use any 3D or video apps, and while I do use photoshop its never on mad HUGE images. I want a laptop so I can take work home without staying in the studio until silly hoursin the morning]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    fobiefobie Posts: 216member
    [quote]Originally posted by othello:

<strong>Here is the situation -- I've got a first rev G4 tower as my workstation at the moment, and its starting to creak under the strain! My boss has agreed that I can have a new machine, but he wants to get me a new G4 tower and I want a Powerbook G4. He doesn't think the laptop will be up to running all day everyday as a workstation. I don't know?

[Background: my work is mainly web stuff and print design. I don't use any 3D or video apps, and while I do use photoshop its never on mad HUGE images. I want a laptop so I can take work home without staying in the studio until silly hoursin the morning]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, the PowerBook is fast enough for you needs, and if your boss thinks that it will 'break' by running all day long he is way off track.

I never turn my iBook off, damnit! Even my PowerBook 180 is still running day in, day out.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    laptops suck - even apples.

get a big fat sexy dual gig.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    fobiefobie Posts: 216member
    [quote]Originally posted by bryan fury:

<strong>laptops suck - even apples.

get a big fat sexy dual gig.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why do laptops suck? At least give a couple of good reasons.

And Othello won't go and buy a PowerMac over a PowerBook just because you say that laptops suck.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by bryan fury:

<strong>laptops suck - even apples.

get a big fat sexy dual gig.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I disagree. Apple's laptops are probably the best out there. The powerbook should be more than enough for you. My powerbook is the only computer I have and I can't remember the last time I turned it off.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    boemaneboemane Posts: 311member
    I have a PowerBook G4/667 rev B. I use my computer for Web development and programming for the most part. My machine is very stable (can only remember having one serious crash that led to a restart of the machine - and thats since february).

The applications I use is BBEdit, Project Builder, Interface Builder, Photoshop 6 though Classic mode (have you seen the prized for PH 7 ?) and GoLive for some of the non-dynamic web content.

Other than that I constantly run iTunes in the "background" playing music. And the speed is very good.

The only thing I wish was better with this machine is the videocard, and that was fixed in rev c of the PowerBook.

I used to own a PowerMac G4/400, and this machine is faster than my tower was for all tasks. I'd go for an 800 MHz PBG4 if I were you. But ill buy another monitor if your sitting in front of your machine all day. Dont get me wrong the 15.2 widescreen is great, but for some tasks, i wish I could have at least a 17 inch widescreen to attach to the PB. The only problem beein shedding ut 1000 dollars for the LCD.

BoeManE
  • Reply 6 of 12
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    Bigger, Better, More
  • Reply 7 of 12
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    thanks everyone.

i'm lucky to have a 22inch monitor here (CRT i'm afraid), which i can hook up to the powerbook to use for day to day stuff.

i think i'll try and go for the laptop!
  • Reply 8 of 12
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    A powerbook sitting on a desk turned on all day will get HOT.

If it's going to be on a desk for 9 hours a day turned on you'll need to find a way to keep it cool.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    This may be to late, but Yes go for the laptop.

I too am a graphic designer. I was using a PowerBook G3/333 for the past 3 years. I have recently moved up to a PowerBook G4/667. I have had them both hooked up to a Lacie 19" monitor. It is great having 2 monitors. Especially if you do anything in Flash. Move the timeline to the laptop monitor and you have a full screen again for working on. Be warned that once you get used to 2 monitors, going back to just the laptop's monitor is kind of constraining. But it is not so bad with the 15.2 " screen on the new PowerBooks.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Groverat said:

A powerbook sitting on a desk turned on all day will get HOT.

If it's going to be on a desk for 9 hours a day turned on you'll need to find a way to keep it cool.

Mine is fine. I have it on for at least 10 to 12 hours a day. I use a plastic "in" basket turned upside down underneath it as a stand. It raises it up 3" (more in line with my second monitor, plus it increases the airflow underneath. The fan hardly comes on. Plus with it being raise, if you spill your coffee, your safe.

One thing you will need is an extra keyboard.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>A powerbook sitting on a desk turned on all day will get HOT.

If it's going to be on a desk for 9 hours a day turned on you'll need to find a way to keep it cool.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I leave my TiBook 800 on 24/7 and haven't had any problems with heat. I even leave the cover closed most of the time (which isn't, apparently, a good idea with some earlier TiBook models that don't have this models elaborate heat piping), and only open it when I hear the fan starting to work hard to cool the system down.

Now. when I say I leave the TiBook on 24/7, I still let it sleep most of the time when it's not being used. If you don't let your computer sleep, YMMV.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Going by what you say your use will be - I would also vote for the PowerBook.

If you can manage a setup at work that includes an external keyboard and mouse, and hook it to a large external display, you'll be very happy with it. The new PowerBooks are faster than many PowerMacs from just a short time ago. You can have a nice dual display setup at work, and in a matter of seconds unhook your peripherals, slip the PB into a case and take it home to keep working.

I wonder if your boss might be thinking long term with wanting to go to a PowerMac. You know, adding extra hard drives down the road, having the ability to double the RAM in the future (1GB in the PB, 2GB in the new PowerMacs)...

Just let him know that being able to take the PB home would make you much more productive and less prone to burnout. Happy employees are productive employees.

Also, this is purchasing advice, so it belongs in General Discussion. Moving there now...