Apple Watch launches in India with 40 available configurations, Hermes edition left out

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited November 2015
Apple Watch hit store shelves in India on Friday with 40 different size, model and strap combinations available to consumers starting at 30,900 rupees (about $470), a huge premium over identical versions sold elsewhere.

As noted by The Times of India, authorized resellers are kicking off Apple Watch sales seven months after the device debuted in nine launch countries including the U.S., China and the UK. Apple's plans for India were revealed in late October, though exact Watch configurations and pricing were unknown at the time.

At launch, customers in the region will be able to purchase aluminum Apple Watch Sport, stainless steel Apple Watch and solid gold Apple Watch Edition models in both 38mm and 42mm sizes. The usual accoutrements of accessories are available, again commanding some of the highest relative prices in the world.

The cheapest Apple Watch configuration, the 38mm Apple Watch Sport with Sport Band, comes in at Rs 30,900, while a 48mm aluminum version can be had for Rs 34,900. Stainless steel Apple Watch models cost Rs 48,900 and Rs 52,900 for 38mm and 42mm case sizes, respectively, while the cheapest Apple Watch Edition runs Rs 8.2 lakh. Topping out the range is a 42mm Apple Watch Edition model coming in at Rs 14.2 lakh, which converts to just under $21,600.

India will not get access to Herm?s edition models, which launched in select Apple Stores and Herm?s boutiques last month. Each package in the special collection features a leather strap produced by Herm?s attached to a stainless steel Apple Watch loaded with bespoke watch faces.

Compared to iPhone, iPad and other products, Apple has been slow to roll out Apple Watch internationally. The burgeoning Indian market will be an interesting proving ground for Apple's first wearable, especially given Apple's lack of brick-and-mortar retail operations in the country. The company currently relies on a network of authorized resellers to move product, though recent rumors claim a partnership with Tata-owned electronics retailer Croma could result in store-within-a-store locations that resemble something of an official retail presence.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    "India will not get access to [B]Herm&egraves[/B] edition models, which launched in select Apple Stores and [B]Herm&egraves[/B] boutiques last month."

Who?
  • Reply 2 of 40
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    Why is the base sport model so much more expensive?
  • Reply 3 of 40
    Curious why there might be a lack of apple retail presence in India.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

I'd factor in an import duty of 33%, so that adds close to $115 to the base model, which works out to about $470.

I'm hoping to get the black stainless steel one for my wife today...

• Reply 5 of 40

Just got word that the Black Stainless Steel w/ Link Bracelet 42mm is approx. $1500!! That is the price of the iPhone 6S Plus 128GB!!

• Reply 6 of 40

A very wise timing move by Apple. Diwali is just around the corner. Diwali is just like Christmas there. I am surprised about why Hermes edition is not there, because you will find loads of buyer for it.

• Reply 7 of 40
    How come India gets a 48mm version and the rest of the world makes do with 38mm & 42mm ??
  • Reply 8 of 40
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

I'd factor in an import duty of 33%, so that adds close to $115 to the base model, which works out to about $470.

I'm hoping to get the black stainless steel one for my wife today...

That's interesting. My Indian friends are always moaning about the price of Apple products in their home country and I never knew why they were so high. Thanks for the information.

I guess Apple will have to open a factory in India if it wants to be competitive there.

• Reply 9 of 40
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member

To open a company branded store (for most product categories) some 30% of the products offered must be produced in India. Only a few international brands, like Lacoste, Burberry and Samsonite do have an "own" presence for that reason. Since Apple does not produce anything in India, they have to go through retailers, telcos etc.

There are some decent resellers here in Mumbai, but e.g. access to BTO options is very limited and can result in horrendous wait times. We bought a dozen 5k iMacs with SSD and RAM upgrades for one of our offices there and delivery took almost three months. You can get most stock configurations easily though, and at least for computers and tablets the prices are about the same as in most of Europe (only slightly worse since the Rupee lost quite some value).

I hope that Apple will make some effort to train these Croma guys properly. I have one of those in walking distance, and only go there If I am in need of punishment.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

To open a company branded store (for most product categories) some 30% of the products offered must be produced in India.

Interesting, thanks for explaining.

• Reply 11 of 40
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    600 million in india don't have adequate sanitation (just under half of the population) no wonder the import tax is so high, there is a lot of loos to buy.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    With such prices (thanks to import duties), I am guessing most who want it will have their friends or family buy one for them in the US.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    irnchriz wrote: »
    600 million in india don't have adequate sanitation (just under half of the population) no wonder the import tax is so high, there is a lot of loos to buy.

What an offensive, ludicrous, pointless comment, intended as nothing more than a snide insult. It would be like, if someone said, "more than half the Bonnie Scots have bad teeth, that's why the VAT there is so high, that's a lot of dentistry to buy."

See how that goes?
  • Reply 14 of 40
    Huge premium is such a relative concept.
    You are welcome to buy it here in Brazil, where the Sport version starts at 759 US dollars!
    That's 410 bucks of markup.

Brazilians can only dream about the "huge premium" practiced in India...
  • Reply 15 of 40
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    What an offensive, ludicrous, pointless comment, intended as nothing more than a snide insult. It would be like, if someone said, "more than half the Bonnie Scots have bad teeth, that's why the VAT there is so high, that's a lot of dentistry to buy."

See how that goes?

I agree but be prepared for a Scottish attack ;)
  • Reply 16 of 40
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    jakeb wrote: »

India's import duties are crippling. The government has, for a very long time, discouraged imports in order to foster development of its own manufacturing industry. It hasn't worked out as well as they wanted, but they keep doing it. Apple is even having trouble convincing the government that they should be allowed to own, and run their own stores. India makes that almost impossible as well.

This has held development back.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

It isn't legal for a foreign business to own and run its own stores. They must partner with a local Indian company, who then controls the hiring, layout, and experience. Apple has their products in a fair number of Indian establishments. Otherwise, they need to produce a large percentage of their goods there. But the poor infrastructure, government interference and other difficulties make it difficult for sophisticated manufacturing to be carried out by a foreign company.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    melgross wrote: »

It isn't legal for a foreign business to own and run its own stores. They must partner with a local Indian company, who then controls the hiring, layout, and experience. Apple has their products in a fair number of Indian establishments. Otherwise, they need to produce a large percentage of their goods there. But the poor infrastructure, government interference and other difficulties make it difficult for sophisticated manufacturing to be carried out by a foreign company.

That is incorrect. Single-brand retailers have been allowed for a while now, and can own their stores up to 100% if they wish. There is no local manufacturing requirement if the foreign brand wants to have 51% ownership or less. Apple can set up Apple Stores there if it wants to. Whether it does with just 51% ownership is another matter.

See: http://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=6654961d-a7e3-4cb8-839f-670bb32382fd
  • Reply 19 of 40
    I agree but be prepared for a Scottish attack ;)

Why? All I said was, "...if someone said..." :D
  • Reply 20 of 40

In the extreme political environment there currently, I'd not commit millions or billions of dollars to a country that may suddenly confiscate your property in the name of "the people" or the state.