Three new malware strains infect 20k apps, impossible to wipe, only affect Android

Comments

• Reply 81 of 166
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

stop confusing your personal anecdotal experience with the "billion" devices using some form of Android. Because the discussion here is Android as a whole, not your personal experience on a small island with lots of money. 

The one confusing here is you with your wrong facts. 

• Reply 82 of 166

So, according to Gatorguy, Gwydion and a lot of others, articles such as this one are fake:

https://www.androidpit.com/best-google-play-store-alternative-app-stores

Google's "protection" against side-loading is comparable to tobacco/cigarette packaging warnings. Never really worked at a significant scale.

I bet that when some day Google uses the Play Store to enforce Windows 10-like anti-privacy policies*, the usual suspects will be very fast to note that hey, there are so many other stores! And every Android user is just a checkbox-and-a-confirmation-tap away from using any store they want.

So, there's that. In Android realm nobody is ever responsible for anything bad. There is always another option. Especially if you don't care to evaluate its viability and deflect any attempts of others to do so.

* Actually, Google already did take a huge step in that direction a year ago with updates to their privacy policies.

• Reply 83 of 166
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Can you show just one smartphone with Play Store with that flag disabled?

That's the point: most Android devices do not ship with Google Play. 

Obviously your phone did. But again, not going to keep repeating myself: your personal experiences are not the experiences of the average Android user. 

• Reply 84 of 166
    Quote:

That's the point: most Android devices do not ship with Google Play. 

Obviously your phone did. But again, not going to keep repeating myself: your personal experiences are not the experiences of the average Android user. 

The average Android user uses an Android phone with Play Store.The 1 billion you like to talk are smartphones with Play Store

Funny how you talk about other user's experience when you don't have any experience with Android apart of the hate you write in every article.

• Reply 85 of 166
    pookpook Posts: 1member
    So devices without gapps or any Google services at all are infected with malware. How is this Googles fault again? If it weren't for Googles relaxed restrictions, those devices wouldn't even exist in the first place.

Gator is right, this is more of a China problem than a Google problem.
  • Reply 86 of 166
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

I happen to know you are really good at googling stuff on your own. 

Translation: I have no sources to back up my assertion.

• Reply 87 of 166
    Quote:

Originally Posted by capasicum View Post

So, according to Gatorguy, Gwydion and a lot of others, articles such as this one are fake:

Your link has nothing to do with anything I have said on this thread.. Can you explain why I should say that your article is fake?

• Reply 88 of 166

Security experts predict that in the future malicious adware will become even smaller and more inconspicuous :(

• Reply 89 of 166
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member

stop confusing your personal anecdotal experience with the "billion" devices using some form of Android. Because the discussion here is Android as a whole, not your personal experience on a small island with lots of money. 

I'm not confused Daniel, I know the difference between devices that support Google Play, and those that don't. I also know that there is a difference between devices that support Google Play, but don't have a local version of it available in their local country.

And what are you talking about a small island with lots of money, are you confusing me with someone else, after all it is you that is living in large country with tonnes of money, and cheap devices
  • Reply 90 of 166
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    capasicum wrote: »
    So, according to Gatorguy, <a href="/u/49281/gwydion" id="user_poster_2802309" style="vertical-align:middle;" name="user_poster_2802309">Gwydion</a>
     and a lot of others, articles such as this one are fake:

No one are saying they are fake, they are saying Daniel is posting false information regarding the purchase state of an Android device.
  • Reply 91 of 166
    Quote:

Your link has nothing to do with anything I have said on this thread.. Can you explain why I should say that your article is fake?

Well, of course, you try to constrain the discussion so much that it loses any meaning. "There is a checkbox, so we (Android users) are all safe."

I won't go discuss the validity of the 1 billion Play Store devices statement. I call this number bullshit as Google were caught being unnecessarily creative when counting new Play Store activations a few years back. But for the sake of this argument I will assume those numbers are correct.

Let's go even further and assume that every phone using Android or any other fork does come with Play Store and the protection option on.

The fact is that there are quite a few thriving alternative stores. They have users, quite a few at that. Where do those users come from?

A steering question: What if you want out of Google's "privacy" policies? What choice do you have? No Google services; use alternative app stores. Which brings us back to this article.

Obvious conclusion: Google's "protection" is no better than the "smoking kills" label on a cigarette pack. It only transfers responsibility to the end user, but solves no real problem since that option is the gate out of Google's privacy tyranny.

Second obvious conclusion: Nobody in the Android ecosystem is ever responsible for anything. It is always the responsibility of the user. Google will protect you if you agree to be their bitch. Otherwise, deal with the wolves.

Also, there are enough exploits for Android for malware writers to be able to directly attack Android Play Store-only devices. But that takes more effort and expertise.

This article only points to the fact that distributing Android malware is currently trivial and pretty much every idiot can do it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

No one are saying they are fake, they are saying Daniel is posting false information regarding the purchase state of an Android device.

Well, Google gets quite creative when reporting numbers, as I already mentioned. So, unless any of them (Gatorguy/Gwydion/other) works at Google and is an executive who has exact numbers, they cannot prove Daniel wrong.

• Reply 92 of 166
    Everybody said the walled garden was nuts... Now that zombies are running free in the streets... Not so much now
  • Reply 93 of 166

Quote:

Originally Posted by capasicum View Post

Well, of course, you try to constrain the discussion so much that it loses any meaning. "There is a checkbox, so we (Android users) are all safe."

Oh, no, I constrain the discussion to what I have said. I have said that it is not true that there are localized Play Stores And I have that is not true that any device with Play store have the allow third party app installation enabled.

Do you have anything to say about it?

Quote:

I won't go discuss the validity of the 1 billion Play Store devices statement. I call this number bullshit as Google were caught being unnecessarily creative when counting new Play Store activations a few years back. But for the sake of this argument I will assume those numbers are correct.

I suppose that you won't give us any source to your claim about google being creative, isn't?

Quote:

The fact is that there are quite a few thriving alternative stores. They have users, quite a few at that. Where do those users come from?

A steering question: What if you want out of Google's "privacy" policies? What choice do you have? No Google services; use alternative app stores. Which brings us back to this article.

Obvious conclusion: Google's "protection" is no better than the "smoking kills" label on a cigarette pack. It only transfers responsibility to the end user, but solves no real problem since that option is the gate out of Google's privacy tyranny.

The fact is that of you don't want Google services you can still use an store like Amazon Store.

Quote:

Second obvious conclusion: Nobody in the Android ecosystem is ever responsible for anything. It is always the responsibility of the user. Google will protect you if you agree to be their bitch. Otherwise, deal with the wolves.

Obvious to you, because you have your wrong conclusion and try to look or proof of it.

Quote:

Well, Google gets quite creative when reporting numbers, as I already mentioned. So, unless any of them (Gatorguy/Gwydion/other) works at Google and is an executive who has exact numbers, they cannot prove Daniel wrong.

And still waiting some proof of that Google being creative. 

• Reply 94 of 166
    rp2011 wrote: »
    I try not to go overboard with these type of claims but my girlfriend loves her Note 5 but now I am planning on accidentally breaking it and replacing it with an iPhone 6 to make amends. Not because I'm paranoid or anything...

OK, don't go overboard. This new malware method is targeting phones that have been rooted or have the potential to be rooted. Note 5 owners aren't affected to the same degree. Also, if your girlfriend gets her apps from the Google Play store, then her device isn't even at risk.
    If you want her to come to iOS, get her hooked on iMessage and that way it will be "her choice " ;)
  • Reply 95 of 166
    Quote:

Oh, no, I constrain the discussion to what I have said. I have said that it is not true that there are localized Play Stores And I have that is not true that any device with Play store have the allow third party app installation enabled.

"Localized" is not the right term, but I don't see it in the article; only in the comments section.

Also, nobody ever said all Android devices have that option enabled. Daniel was talking about all Android devices that Google counts towards devices sold. Those include devices sold in China.

And since you want examples, here are a few:

Xiaomi and Huawai devices ship without Play Store in China. All those use alternative stores, don't they? Care to check China sales rankings? Oh, you don't count those towards Android? But Google does. That is creative accounting.

On the Amazon Store - how do you add it without disabling the above-mentioned protection? Rhetorical question, don't bother answering.

So, what stops an user who went through the process of adding Amazon to add another store? If they want an app that is free somewhere else, or are sent a link? But that is on their account, right? Google did warn them, right?

So, both of my conclusions are spot on.

You are obviously delusional trying to put a divide between the different problems, picking the right statistic you like. Because you can provide an answer to each one separately as Google does; but never to all of the problems put together.

• Reply 96 of 166
    Quote:

"Localized" is not the right term, but I don't see it in the article; only in the comments section.

Also, nobody ever said all Android devices have that option enabled. Daniel was talking about all Android devices that Google counts towards devices sold. Those include devices sold in China.

Xiaomi and Huawai devices ship without Play Store in China. All those use alternative stores, don't they? Care to check China sales rankings? Oh, you don't count those towards Android? But Google does. That is creative accounting.

On the Amazon Store - how do you add it without disabling the above-mentioned protection? Rhetorical question, don't bother answering.

So, what stops an user who went through the process of adding Amazon to add another store? If they want an app that is free somewhere else, or are sent a link? But that is on their account, right? Google did warn them, right?

You are obviously delusional trying to put a divide between the different problems, picking the right statistic you like. Because you can provide an answer to each one separately as Google does; but never to all of the problems put together.

I thought Google had turned to only counting those devices that checked into Google Play as activated devices. Thus those in China cant be counted unless Google play is accessible to them.

• Reply 97 of 166

[SIZE=16px]Xiaomi[/SIZE][SIZE=16px] and Huawai[/SIZE] [SIZE=16px]devices ship[/SIZE] [SIZE=16px]without[/SIZE][SIZE=16px] Play Store in China[/SIZE][SIZE=16px]. All those use alternative stores, don't they? Care to check China sales rankings? Oh, you don't count those towards Android? But Google does. That is creative accounting.[/SIZE]

Google does not count devices sold without Play Store.

I suppose that it will be a waste of time asking for any source about your claims.

Delusional? No, the delusionals here are the ones like you making wring claims without a single source

And no, both of your conclusions are wrong
  • Reply 98 of 166
    I thought Google had turned to only counting those devices that checked into Google Play as activated devices. Thus those in China cant be counted unless Google play is accessible to them.

Google had always counted devices shipped with Play Store
  • Reply 99 of 166

Quote:
    Originally Posted by singularity View Post

Your thought are based on what statement by which Google/Alphabet/Android executive?

Quote:

Google had always counted devices shipped with Play Store

No, they don't. And you don't have any proof against.

• Reply 100 of 166

No, they don't. And you don't have any proof.

Still waiting any proof of your claim.

UT i suppose that it is just an invention and you're just making things up.