Apple hire suggests work on advanced EV software, 'digital license plate'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2015
Adding fuel to the Apple Car rumor bonfire, Apple this summer hired an automotive engineer with vast experience in the electric vehicle industry, and who most recently worked at a company called Reviver, self-proclaimed creators of the world's first "digital license plate."

According to his LinkedIn profile, spotted by Elektrek, R?n?n ? Braon?in has extensive knowledge of electric vehicle integrations having spent considerable time at BMW as a software engineer. He was CTO at EV fleet solutions firm Vision Fleet before joining Reviver as director of engineering. Braon?in has held the position of "Secret Agent" at "Apple Special Projects" for four months.

At BMW, Braon?in had a hand in connected app development, and from 2012 to 2014 built out the Munich-based carmaker's portfolio of sustainable mobility and electric vehicle software. He also organized BMW's first hackathon, dubbed the "Sustainability Hackathon," as part of the company's i-series roadshow.

As director of engineering at Reviver, Braon?in helped realize Slate, an Internet-connected digital license plate platform designed for fleet deployments. The system is capable of registering and monitoring multiple vehicles from a central Web-based hub. Administrators can track vehicle location, keep track of maintenance records and send out messages in real time. It is unclear how digital license plate technology might translate to a consumer product.

Considering his comparatively brief stint at Reviver, however, it seems more likely that Braon?in is applying his expertise in vehicle software systems and integration to work on Apple's rumored car project.

Apple has made a number of high-level hires from the automotive industry for what is widely thought to be an electric vehicle. Referred to internally as "Project Titan," Apple's secret initiative is well underway at facilities in Sunnyvale, Calif., and beyond.

Aside from an electric propulsion system, Apple is said to be developing autonomous capabilities for its supposed car. Seemingly corroborating such rumors is Apple's recent hire of Jonathan Cohen, former director of Nvidia's autonomous vehicle program. The company also snapped up artificial intelligence firm Perceptio this summer, suggesting research into advanced computer vision technology, a necessity for safe self-driving vehicle systems.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Well we all know how much Steve loved license plates.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Well we all know how much Steve loved license plates.

Love license plates? In a book I read the authorized biography of Steve Jobs, he never had license plate. He usually trade car every 6 months, I think to avoid to put it on his precious brand new car. He kept on said why need license plate for?? Lol... He always park on handicap only parking and he think the handicap sign look like CEO chair instead of wheelchair...
  • Reply 3 of 10
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    I am not sure that it can be said we don't have any ideas how this might work. My BMW monitors the condition of the car and if something is wrong mechanically notifies my appointed dealer who will then arrange to book in the car for a service or repair. It also has a built in SIM that not only sends data from the car but also gives direct contact between the driver and BMW. This is something that might be used if the car was involved in an accident. BMW would try to contact the driver if the system reported an accident, and if no reply organise emergency services giving the location. Hopefully l will never need to use this service so l can't say if it works in practice but it is reassuring to have it. I believe all new cars in Europe will have to have a built in SIM within 5 years.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    texdeafy wrote: »
    Love license plates? In a book I read the authorized biography of Steve Jobs, he never had license plate. He usually trade car every 6 months, I think to avoid to put it on his precious brand new car. He kept on said why need license plate for?? Lol... He always park on handicap only parking and he think the handicap sign look like CEO chair instead of wheelchair...

He was being sarcastic. He knew Steve detested them. But Steve has passed and this hire has no connection to Steve. And yes, Steve could be a total jerk sometimes.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    latifbplatifbp Posts: 544member
    texdeafy wrote: »
    He was being facetious.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by latifbp View Post

He was being facetious.

He was being facetious?

• Reply 8 of 10
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    ireland wrote: »
    He was being facetious?

So Ireland, nevermind these distractions, can you tell us how Rónán's names are pronounced? Serious question. A simple respelling into English would do, thanks in advance.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

So Ireland, nevermind these distractions, can you tell us how Rónán's names are pronounced? Serious question. A simple respelling into English would do, thanks in advance.

I think it's Ronan O'Brennan.

• Reply 10 of 10
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Well, Áine is “on-yah”, so it might be... Row-naan O’Brown-aan? Depends on the accent, I guess.