Apple retains US smartphone lead as LG reports surprising positive growth, study says

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

I am happy LG is going up. More choice is never a bad thing... I do wonder where is huawei on this from other reports the chinise manufacturer is number one in the world.

Huawei may have difficulty getting approval from US regulators to sell in US.  One thing most people don't know is device manufacturers can put a code in the device to communicate back with the manufacturer.  This is a capability built in by both iOS and Android OS.  

• Reply 22 of 35
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    tzeshan wrote: »

Huawei may have difficulty getting approval from US regulators to sell in US.  
    There's no problem as far as I can see.
    http://www.androidcentral.com/us-bound-huawei-p8-variant-receives-approval-fcc
    http://www.gethuawei.com/nexus6p

EDIT: Not commonly known and never mentioned here AFAIK is that they also design and produce their own processors, and have for a few years now, rather than using off-the-shelf CPU's from companies like Qualcomm or Samsung. That certainly gives them an advantage compared to some other OEM's. While still lagging in efficiency compared to some other available chipsets the Kirin processors have been steadily improving and are expected to soon challenge those other big chip producers according to industry articles.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

There's no problem as far as I can see.

http://www.androidcentral.com/us-bound-huawei-p8-variant-receives-approval-fcc

http://www.gethuawei.com/nexus6p

EDIT: Not commonly known and unmentioned here AFAIK is that they also design and produce their own processors, and have for a few years now, rather than using off-the-shelf CPU's from companies like Qualcomm or Samsung. That certainly gives them an advantage compared to some other OEM's.

Nexus 6P is marketed as a Google phone.  Google is talking to it instead of Huawei.  Besides US regulator Huawei also needs US carriers approval.  May be the carriers know more about this OS feature than US regulators.  For one thing, US carriers also add a feature to lock a phone.  Google sells Nexus phones at full price I think.

Besides Qualcomm and Samsung, Mediatek also design and produce smartphone CPUs.  

• Reply 24 of 35
     Besides US regulator Huawei also needs US carriers approval.  
    Carriers have approved and are selling Huawei phones in the US now. Just search for them at ATT for example.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    Quote:

Carriers have approved and are selling Huawei phones in the US now. Just search for them at ATT for example.

P8 needs a variant to not talking back to Huawei.  

• Reply 26 of 35

P8 needs a variant to not talking back to Huawei.  
    :???: "Talking back" to them about what?
  • Reply 27 of 35
    Quote:

image "Talking back" to them about what?

Many things are possible. 

• Reply 28 of 35
    Many things are possible. 
    Sounds very FUD-ish, particularly since you seem to have no knowledge of them "reporting back" to Huawei in the first place, much less what it is they're supposedly reporting. Yet you imply there's something devious going on?
  • Reply 29 of 35
    Quote:

Sounds very FUD-ish, particularly since you seem to have no knowledge of them "reporting back" to Huawei in the first place, much less what it is they're supposedly reporting. Yet you infer there's something devious going on?

In iPhone settings there is a selection whether you allow the phone sending things back to Apple.  Do you approve or not?

• Reply 30 of 35
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

In iPhone settings there is a selection whether you allow the phone sending things back to Apple.  Do you approve or not?

What has to do what an iOS device does with your claim about Huawei smartphones sending data back to the company?

• Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

What has to do what an iOS device does with your claim about Huawei smartphones sending data back to the company?

I use iPhone as an example because you may be using an iPhone.  Android OS should do the same.  

• Reply 32 of 35

I've no problem at all with your iPhone sending diagnostic data/user statistics, anonymized of course, back to Apple. So yes I would approve of it myself. How better to monitor for hardware issues and/or overall device performance in the field?

Now how about details concerning the data collecting stuff you say Huawei is doing on smartphones. Are they doing something they should not be? Any evidence of it that you can share? If not your posts mentioning it do seem to qualify as FUD, something meant to sow Fear, Uncertainty and Distrust of their phones.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slprescott View Post

I think the most interesting pattern in these two tables is comparing Samsung and LG:

During a period where Samsung was feverishly trying to regain traction, consumers went in the other direction. When customers were looking for an Android-based alternative to iPhone, they chose LG, not Samsung.

Yes, I noticed that too.

I would expect it to be simply that LG was a lower price than Samsung.   It's a big 10+% sales increase for LG.

Here in CDA Samsung very recently dropped their prices on their top phone model,

which was the same high price as Apple's iPhone6. With the 30% US exchange rate Apple's base iPhone6 is C$900.

• Reply 34 of 35
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

I am happy LG is going up. More choice is never a bad thing... I do wonder where is huawei on this from other reports the chinise manufacturer is number one in the world.

This is just the US. They probably don't have much of a presence in the US.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

The weird thing is; I wouldn't know an LG smartphone if it hit me in the nose.

I guess (going by the article) I must have seen one before. But I would never had known it.

Quite a few Android phones are LG. I can't really tell unless I see something that specifically says "LG", but that's basically the case for all Android phones.

• Reply 35 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

Android is not a smartphone manufacturer, surely the list should say 'All Android smartphones',

Did you miss the chart where it shows Android vs iOS and then the separate chart where it shows manufacturers separately?