Apple's iPad Pro available to order Wednesday, delivers later this week

Comments

• Reply 41 of 82
    On sale Wednesday, delivery by Friday, doomed by next Monday.

"Just a very very big iPod touch" this time ;)
  • Reply 42 of 82
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Ok to all that, but when can I go test one at my local Apple store?
  • Reply 43 of 82
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Let's take bets on the first "gate" scandal to hit the new iPad Pro and how petty and stupid that complaint will be on a scale of 1 to ridiculous.

• Reply 44 of 82
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    I hope Apple decides to offer financial terms as they did for the IPhone 6s. That alone will drive the market for the iPad Pro sky high.
  • Reply 45 of 82
    evilution wrote: »
    Let's take bets on the first "gate" scandal to hit the new iPad Pro and how petty and stupid that complaint will be on a scale of 1 to ridiculous.

Yeah. Let's see bendgate, blendgate and all the other usual suspects accompany break-pencil-while-charging-through-clumsiness-gate.
  • Reply 46 of 82
    tgr1tgr1 Posts: 33member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sagan_student View Post

See my above post. Expect the 128 GB wifi model to be around 1249 Canadian.

Agreed. No way anywhere near parity, not with the $Cdn running 30% lower than the $US.

• Reply 47 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I hope iPad Pro is rock solid out of the gate. 

What worries you?:rolleyes: 

• Reply 48 of 82
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 321member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tmay View Post

I don't think that Apple has a history of grossly overstating performance with the A Series; the A9X likely does exceed the performance of "80% of the notebooks sold on the market".

As an ARM processor, it will likely maintain its status as best in class for tablets. How close will it come to the Surface x86 models?

Edit.

I'm hoping that they are in stock at the local Apple store Friday; I will be a buyer if so.

I think it will likely exceed the performance of the Surfacex86's (even the i7 model) for two reasons. Though I haven't had a hands on yet I have seen (and talked to people who have) the performance (of paint/sketching apps) is better than any surface. Second keep in mind the the i7 in the surface is the lightweight lo power 2 core version it (the i7 surface) is literally  half the speed of the 13" i7 MBP (which is also about the same weight, a tiny bit larger, and LESS money)

To be clear I don't think the iPadPro can best a full i7 laptop (like the macbook pro) but I do think it will be close (or possibly better) to the low power (2 core) i7's used in the surface pro.

• Reply 49 of 82
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    What worries you?:rolleyes:  
    Apple Watch?
  • Reply 50 of 82
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryJW View Post

I hope Apple decides to offer financial terms as they did for the IPhone 6s. That alone will drive the market for the iPad Pro sky high.

This would be nice to see extended to Macs as well, but I'm sure Apple likes its' sales to be one shot deals most of the time. It could drive upgrade cycles down too though and allow for more units to be moved. Not sure of all the logistics on it. I'll leave that up to Tim. That's what he's good at.

• Reply 51 of 82
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyFX View Post

I think it will likely exceed the performance of the Surfacex86's (even the i7 model) for two reasons. Though I haven't had a hands on yet I have seen (and talked to people who have) the performance (of paint/sketching apps) is better than any surface. Second keep in mind the the i7 in the surface is the lightweight lo power 2 core version it (the i7 surface) is literally  half the speed of the 13" i7 MBP (which is also about the same weight, a tiny bit larger, and LESS money)

To be clear I don't think the iPadPro can best a full i7 laptop (like the macbook pro) but I do think it will be close (or possibly better) to the low power (2 core) i7's used in the surface pro.

I agree with you, and while benchmarks might indicate otherwise, iPad Pro will benefit from a leaner OS, and purpose built apps. The low latency pen tracking is going to the selling point of the iPad Pro anyway.

• Reply 52 of 82
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sagan_student View Post

See my above post. Expect the 128 GB wifi model to be around 1249 Canadian.

you're right

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/ipad/ipad-pro-launch-nov-11/

• Reply 53 of 82
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    indyfx wrote: »

I'm not that optimistic. The bottom Surface Pro3 uses a low power i3. The Surface Pro 4 bottom model uses an M3. They cost $799 without the keyboard, but with the stylus. I have no doubt the iPad Pro will exceed those.

As for the $999 i5 model, it will be a harder question to answer. A lot will depend upon the speed of the NAND system Apple is using. They've got a system that is much faster than anyone else for the phone, and so the question is how they will implement that here. Since that strongly affects the startup times, the opening and closing of apps, the opening and closing of files, etc., it will make a big difference.

As for the i7 version, I don't think the pro will exceed that. It might come close in some areas, but the i7 model has the option of a discrete Nvidia graphics card, and there's no way the A9x can equal that.
  • Reply 54 of 82
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 321member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I'm not that optimistic. The bottom Surface Pro3 uses a low power i3. The Surface Pro 4 bottom model uses an M3. They cost $799 without the keyboard, but with the stylus. I have no doubt the iPad Pro will exceed those.

As for the $999 i5 model, it will be a harder question to answer. A lot will depend upon the speed of the NAND system Apple is using. They've got a system that is much faster than anyone else for the phone, and so the question is how they will implement that here. Since that strongly affects the startup times, the opening and closing of apps, the opening and closing of files, etc., it will make a big difference.

As for the i7 version, I don't think the pro will exceed that. It might come close in some areas, but the i7 model has the option of a discrete Nvidia graphics card, and there's no way the A9x can equal that.

Perhaps you will be correct, however the performance from the hands on demos videos and the couple people I have talked to (that have had a chance hands on) are encouraging. Perhaps it won't "benchmark" as well but (because of tight HW/SW coupling?) it appears that the graphics performance demonstrated (pro graphics/drawing apps (and even AutoCAD))  in the iPadPro's demoed are a match for the lightweight i7's (running windows)

Time will tell, not long to wait now...

• Reply 55 of 82
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What worries you?image  

Apple Watch?

What was wrong with the AppleWatch?

I must have completely missed it.

• Reply 56 of 82
    fh-ace wrote: »
    When I read "doomed" I just assumed as in Apple is always "doomed". Lol

Soon graduating to "Beleaguered."
  • Reply 57 of 82
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Where did you get your prices from? The Microsoft Store lists the base Surface Pro 4 at $899, not $799. So the iPad Pro is priced the same as the Surface Pro 4 when you also buy the Apple Pencil (stylus).

In raw benchmarks I'm certain the iPad Pro will easily outperform the Core M Surface Pro 4 and will probably be comparable to the i5 version. It's a stretch to think it will match the i7 version. However, in usability and responsiveness I can see the iPad Pro matching the top Surface Pro 4. Even using my iPad Air 2 for general tasks is faster than my laptop and pretty close to my desktop. There's something to be said for a highly optimized and lean OS that's tightly integrated with your processor.

• Reply 58 of 82
    amoradala wrote: »
    Just change the dollar sign to a pound sign. That's usually how it seem to work.
    679 for 32gb 799 for 128gb and 899 for the cellur, keyboard 129.99 and pencil 79 pound
  • Reply 59 of 82
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member

"iPad Pro enables new forms of mobile creativity that will help transform how creatives work," said Scott Belsky, vice president of Products at Adobe. "With the larger iPad Pro screen and lightning-fast performance, creatives will be able to take full advantage of Adobe's family of Creative Cloud mobile apps. For example, the ability to manipulate a 50-megapixel image right on iPad Pro in Photoshop Fix and then send that image to Photoshop CC on a desktop, for further refinement, is the kind of industry-advancing collaboration that millions of Adobe and Apple customers will benefit from.".

This doesn't instil much confidence in me. It seems Adobe's plan with respect to the iPad Pro is the status quo. I was really hoping to hear them say they were working on bringing a full version of Photoshop to the iPad Pro. I sure hope Smith Micro is working on Manga Studio for iPad Pro. If not... yikes.
  • Reply 60 of 82
    melgross wrote: »

None of the surface pro 4s have a discrete graphics card. The M3/i5 have the Intel HD graphics card and the i7 models have Intel Iris graphics card.

The Surface Book is the one with the option for a discrete Nvidia graphics card and that is much more expensive.