TAG Heuer unveils $1,500 'Connected' smartwatch running Android Wear

Comments

• Reply 21 of 115

Eww....look at the pixels here:

• Reply 22 of 115
    TAG Heuer is clearly being damaged and losing business to the new high end watches with notifications.
  • Reply 23 of 115
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    john12345 wrote: »

You're kidding yourself if you think they're going to sell a regular Carrera + the smartwatch for $3000.   The mechanical watch is obviously going to be some cheaper version.   Maybe something like $2000 watch.
    The AI author neglected to say this watch will be upgradable for the foreseeable future.
    For that $1500 you can either upgrade your smartwatch hardware to a more advanced version in two years or swap to a mechanical one if a Carrera smartwatch just isn't for you. . That's really not a bad offer for those with plenty of disposable cash laying around and liking the look of Tag. It certainly reduces the financial risk of buying one.
  • Reply 24 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Nope!

$1500 for the watch, $1500 for the swap. So $1500 to have a smartwatch for now, and when you're done with having a smartwatch you can trade it in, and throw out another $1500, and they'll hand you an exclusively designed Carrera that typically costs $5000 or more. This way your watch doesn't just become obsolete and sit in a drawer, it becomes timeless?.

Well, the devil's in the details, sounds to me like 'an exclusively designed Carrera' could be anything, most likely a cheaper, lesser (surprise -$1,500) version. But hey, it's exclusive!  

The whole offer is nothing if not strange. What they are saying is 'go ahead, try a silly new, stripped-down connected watch and then after two years when it's obsolete or whatever, we'd be glad to sell you a cheap(er) version of our 'real' mechanical watch, after you've spent two years in the wilderness ...'

• Reply 25 of 115
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    The TAG is DOA.
  • Reply 26 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

"All day" image

the assumption is 25 hours of so with the 410mAh battery. Who knows until a few people buy one and report, which may take awhile. I think there's only 1000 being made available for sale here in the US.

Okay. Given the 42mm Apple Watch has a 250mAh battery (http://www.onefruit.co/blog/2015/6/29/how-big-is-the-42mm-apple-watch-battery), I could see it possibly getting a 'day' of use (12 hours?)...

• Reply 27 of 115
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john12345 View Post

Eww....look at the pixels here:

That doesn't really show much because the entire shot is out of focus. That's what happens when you try to take a close-up with smartphone.

• Reply 28 of 115
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    Nope!
    $1500 for the watch, $1500 for the swap. So $1500 to have a smartwatch for now, and when you're done with having a smartwatch you can trade it in,
    Close but as they have explained it your watch's internal electronics can be upgraded (for $1500?). I don't think I read it wrong but perhaps.
  • Reply 29 of 115
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyberzombie View Post

Did they say how long a charge lasts? Gotta think inclusion of GPS is gonna suck...

Supposedly 40 hours. The CPU runs at 500MHz most of the time, and the battery is twice the size of the battery in the 38mm Apple Watch (410mAh).

• Reply 30 of 115
    Quote:

Okay. Given the 42mm Apple Watch has a 250mAh battery (http://www.onefruit.co/blog/2015/6/29/how-big-is-the-42mm-apple-watch-battery), I could see it possibly getting a 'day' of use (12 hours?)...

From the other article that I linked to, it says 30-hours.

• Reply 31 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

From the other article that I linked to, it says 30-hours.

Then the GPS functionality is limited and/or infrequent. Full-on GPS sucks your device's will to live...

Edited: Re-read the article - no GPS involved...

• Reply 32 of 115
    Quote:

Then the GPS functionality is limited and/or infrequent. Full-on GPS sucks your device's will to live...

Has no GPS

• Reply 33 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Has no GPS

D'Oh! Shows what speed-reading over 'gyroscope' tied with weekend work on a GPS-related Swift app will do... Sorry!

• Reply 34 of 115
    Does it have GPS? Here's their website where you can read about the watch.
    http://www.tagheuerconnected.com/product

EDIT: Pip'd by MStone

EDIT2; In any event Tag obviously doesn't intend to sell a whole lotta these. They are positioning it as "exclusive". Good idea, as that way they may not be disappointed.
  • Reply 35 of 115
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 752member

So it's Android Wear in a Tag case for $1500?  Wonder if Apple executives have stopped laughing yet.

• Reply 36 of 115
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Yep, I have yet to see an Android Wear watch that looks as good in real life as it does in computer renders.
  • Reply 37 of 115
    Did they say how long a charge lasts? Gotta think inclusion of GPS is gonna suck...

I think the Verge said its "all day" battery life. So I would assume 24 hours on the high end. I wonder if it will get dinged for battery life since ?Watch certainly has.
  • Reply 38 of 115

Well, the devil's in the details, sounds to me like 'an exclusively designed Carrera' could be anything, most likely a cheaper, lesser (surprise -$1,500) version. But hey, it's exclusive!  

The whole offer is nothing if not strange. What they are saying is 'go ahead, try a silly new, stripped-down connected watch and then after two years when it's obsolete or whatever, we'd be glad to sell you a cheap(er) version of our 'real' mechanical watch, after you've spent two years in the wilderness ...'

I think this is all BS. What Tag was teasing is you'd be able to bring the watch in and upgrade the internals. Instead they're saying for an additional $1500 you can 'upgrade' to a non-smart watch. So in essence they're saying smart watches are stupid and after 2 years you'll want a regular watch again. Why would Intel sign up for that?
  • Reply 39 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I think the Verge said its "all day" battery life. So I would assume 24 hours on the high end. I wonder if it will get dinged for battery life since ?Watch certainly has. Or if the tech press will give it a pass because it has GPS.

I've gone back and struck out GPS in my posts...there is no GPS. Just a mongo battery in a thicker slab of watch than I care for...

• Reply 40 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Yep, I have yet to see an Android Wear watch that looks as good in real life as it does in computer renders.

I think this looks pretty nice. Titanium case and the watch faces are attractive as well. The 'exclusive' is that they offer Tag apps and faces that are not available on other Android watches. The features are limited compared to other watches though. No speaker, no health sensors, apparently no NFC. It says best in class touch screen. It is splash proof to IP67 and has sapphire crystal.