First software update for the new 4th-gen Apple TV brings tvOS 9.0.1

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited November 2015
Apple on Monday pushed its first software update for tvOS, bumping the operating system which sits at the heart of the 4th-generation Apple TV to version 9.0.1.

There is no word as to what the latest tvOS revision contains, as Apple has declined to provide release notes for the new software. Bug fixes are a sure bet, and performance enhancements are also likely on tap.

The tvOS update runs quickly in comparison to those issued for previous Apple TV units, which may be a benefit of the new operating system architecture. AppleInsider's testing showed a start-to-finish time of less than five minutes.

Monday's update comes in advance of tvOS 9.1, a beta of which has already been seeded to registered developers. Apple began shipping the new Apple TV just over one week ago.

For those who already have the latest 4th-generation Apple TV, the update is available via the Settings menu.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 69
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

No, it does NOT enable bluetooth keyboards. No, it does NOT include a Podcast app. No, it does not turn on 4K. No, it does NOT install an optical port.

Any questions?

• Reply 2 of 69
    I've been having my Hulu app lock up on me on two devices. Each time I had to do a force reboot. I hope this takes care of it.
  • Reply 3 of 69
    What does it do?
  • Reply 4 of 69
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member

Does it come with wafers?

• Reply 5 of 69
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    No, it does NOT enable bluetooth keyboards. No, it does NOT include a Podcast app. No, it does not turn on 4K. No, it does NOT install an optical port.

Any questions?

What about Siri and music as reported on MR? I am installing now so I will know myself in a few ...

Edit: I can't find anything new Siri can do so far.

Ah .. here is the skinny: http://www.macrumors.com/2015/11/09/siri-apple-music-tvos-9-1-beta/

Yep I can open music on my iTunes Match now verbally and find artists by name! This is awesome.

I can now voice control Plex and Flickr too! This is quite the update after all.

I'd love a list of commands now available, I keep find more by trial and error.
  • Reply 6 of 69

Just updated.  Nothing obvious different.

• Reply 7 of 69

Maybe it will fix the brief audio drop-out that occurs at the end of a Netflix show right as the "next up" screen appears when the credits begin rolling. Then again, that could be a Netflix app problem.

May the "blame game" between Apple and third party apps begin!

• Reply 8 of 69
    Love my new Apple TV, but I'm completely baffled that Siri doesn't support Apple Music or App Store searches at launch. I thought Apple held this product back for additional polishing? Yet they left out something so obviously necessary? I hope these flaws are updated soon (not to mention a working Remote app for iOS, another inexplicable gaffe by Apple).
  • Reply 9 of 69
    And what about the regressive and annoying login and password user interface? For APPLE to be so clueless about the user interface is disappointing.
  • Reply 10 of 69
    I must have a different update from all the posters above. I can now voice activate any app and navigate them. Even the App Store. Maybe it's my English accent. ;)
  • Reply 11 of 69
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHotFuzz View Post

Love my new Apple TV, but I'm completely baffled that Siri doesn't support Apple Music or App Store searches at launch. I thought Apple held this product back for additional polishing? Yet they left out something so obviously necessary? I hope these flaws are updated soon (not to mention a working Remote app for iOS, another inexplicable gaffe by Apple).

Seems like some are saying there is limited support for this.  Did you try it out with the update?

• Reply 12 of 69
    I must have a different update from all the posters above. I can now voice activate any app and navigate them. Even the App Store. Maybe it's my English accent. ;)

Have you updated to 9.0.1 or the beta 1 of 9.1?
  • Reply 13 of 69
    brucemc wrote: »
    Seems like some are saying there is limited support for this.  Did you try it out with the update?

It's not all that limited. I just went to the app store, searched around and selected an app and downloaded it, all by use of Siri. I also launched my iTunes Match and selected a Playlist and started it playing all with Siri.
  • Reply 14 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brucemc View Post

I haven't updated yet.

• Reply 15 of 69
    baz1536 wrote: »

I am not using the developer version on Apple TV just the standard update. I just asked Siri to navigate to the About in Settings and I see I am on 9.0.1
  • Reply 16 of 69

I am not using the developer version on Apple TV just the standard update. I just asked Siri to navigate to the About in Settings and I see I am on 9.0.1
    That does work on mine and when I say go back to Plex it takes me straight back to Plex.
  • Reply 17 of 69
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    The lack of touch ID on this apple TV was a MASSIVE missed opportunity. Putting in a password to buy stuff is crazy onerous. Whoever came up with that was an idiot.
  • Reply 18 of 69
    That does work on mine and when I say go back to Plex it takes me straight back to Plex.

Yes, Plex works very well. Tip; saying, "Main Menu" takes to to the ?TV desk top. This is like a game, working out how to control Siri! LOL
  • Reply 19 of 69

Yes, Plex works very well. Tip saying, "Main Menu" takes to to the ?TV desk top. This is like a game, working out how to control Siri! LOL

Can press and hold menu for that but I want to know how to easily get back to the Plex main menu!!