Apple CEO Tim Cook says he travels with just an iPad Pro and iPhone

Posted:
in iPad edited November 2015
On a tour to promote this week's launch of the iPad Pro, Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook said the new 12.9-inch tablet, as well as the iPhone, paired with an Apple Watch, are the only products he is traveling with.

Cook's admission that he is traveling and conducting business on the road without a Mac was made to U.K. newspaper The Independent. When paired with Apple's new Smart Keyboard cover, Cook said the iPad Pro is a great device for traditional computing, especially with Split View multitasking in iOS 9.

"I'm traveling with the iPad Pro and other than the iPhone it's the only product I've got," Cook said. The CEO failed to mention the Apple Watch, but images accompanying the interview confirm that he is also sporting the wearable device.

During Cook's trip to the U.K., he visited with London-based developer Touchpress. There, the team praised the versatility of the Smart Keyboard and Apple Pencil, bringing new ways of interacting with the iPad Pro.

Touchpress is a creator of education-focused apps, and its application "The Elements" was promoted as one of the hallmark downloads available for the first-generation iPad in 2010.

With the launch of the iPad Pro, Touchpress revealed it's working on a new format where users must touch a very specific part of the screen, taking advantage of the precision afforded by the Apple Pencil.

Apple announced on Monday that the iPad Pro will ship to customers later this week. Direct orders from Apple will begin on Wednesday, though some resellers are already taking preorders.

The iPad Pro packs 5.6 million pixels into its 12.9-inch display, capable of running two full-size iPad Air apps side by side. The larger screen allow for a full-size touchscreen keyboard, and full support for Apple's iOS 9 Split View, slide over, and picture-in-picture.

The iPad Pro's A9X chip is advertised to be 1.5 times faster than comparable desktop processors. It features graphics performance twice as fast as the A8X chip found in the 2014 iPad Air 2.

And the device's magnetic Smart Connector transmits both data and power to external accessories, which at launch will include the Smart Keyboard.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 86
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    This does not surprise me, If you're only doing emails and view information then you do not need a computer. Only people who are required to actually crunch data and such need a computer. When I travel and I am not doing spreadsheets, Legal contracts or powerpoint presentaion I can easly do what I need on an ipad and my phone.

I highly doubt Tim Cook does anything more than read emails and responds to them. He may look at Apple Specific Metrix which are on some internal app or website.
  • Reply 2 of 86
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    maestro64 wrote: »
    This does not surprise me, If you only doing emails and view information then you do not need a computer. Only people who are required to actually crunch data and such need a computer. When I travel and I am not doing spreadsheets, Legal contracts or powerpoint presentaion I can easly do what I need on an ipad and my phone.

Yet you can do all that on an iPad.
  • Reply 3 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Definitely not as nice or as fast. If the iPad had a mouse, I would agree. I find I am much faster with a PC/Mac with a mouse than an iPad with a touchscreen. Just my experience with the data I deal with.

• Reply 4 of 86
    Of course Cook does. He just does email, maybe some spreadsheets, FaceTime, and reviews other people's work.

Can't imagine the marketing, industrial design, and software engineers doing this.

I do some fast and messy prototyping on the iPad and then transfer to the Mac where things are a lot easier to fine tune.

The best thing about tablets are the rethinking that app designers are forced to do. This has resulted in a whole new area of great Mac apps as well as tablet apps.

I personally cannot wait for iPad pro. I'd love to do most things on it including hand drawn art. That's a big deal for me.

So glad I held off on the Adobe drawing tools.
  • Reply 5 of 86
    9secondko wrote: »
    Can't imagine the marketing, industrial design, and software engineers doing this.

Neither can Apple. That's why they sell the Mac.
  • Reply 6 of 86
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member

Plenty of graphic artists will use the iPad Pro.
  • Reply 7 of 86
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    iPad Pro: Slated for success!

????
  • Reply 8 of 86
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I just saw a CNN interview with Eddy Cue. Looks like the same interview he gave for Apple TV. When asked why iPad Pro he said he used it for email, reading and going to websites. Yes I'm sure all those things are really great on iPad Pro but that's not how you sell someone on this device. Ugh, I guess Apple is better off letting other people sell this product then.

http://cnnmon.ie/1MkIo7x
  • Reply 9 of 86
    As long as I can access Google Docs with it, it'll be fine :)
  • Reply 10 of 86
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Doomed! Cook abandons Mac and iPod! /s

Cook probably just needs access to emails and reports and the occasional iWork doc. iPad pro and iPhone would be perfectly fine.
  • Reply 11 of 86
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I definitely prefer my large screen Mac over my iPad. Better ergonomics, better precision of the cursor, better audio, more advanced applications, better multitasking and app switching, drag and drop form one app to the next. Even if it is just email, it is a much more pleasant experience. The iPad is mobile, that's it. Everything else is a compromise.

• Reply 12 of 86
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Cook probably just needs access to emails and reports and the occasional iWork doc. iPad pro and iPhone would be perfectly fine.

I'm pretty sure Cook includes his ?Watch for his on the road gear.

• Reply 13 of 86
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

yeah I like to see you work on a large spreadsheet which references other spreadsheets which do VLookup and complicated calculations along with charts with thousands of lines items feeding into the charts all while have them actively linked in a Powerpoint presentation. Yeah My dual 27 monitor set up I sit behind most days when I am not meeting with my co-worker and suppliers can all be done on an ipad small or large. Yeah Steve said it in 2010 the ipad is a viewing consumption device more than a creation device, yeah you can do some basic stuff, not doubt about, I have done it when necessary but you are not doing heavy liftying on an Ipad. Hell my 16GB labtop has come to its knees with some of the spreadsheet whith 100's of thousands of entries are open up.

• Reply 14 of 86
    yeah I like to see you work on a large spreadsheet which references other spreadsheets which do VLookup and complicated calculations along with charts with thousands of lines items feeding into the charts all while have them actively linked in a Powerpoint presentation. Yeah My dual 27 monitor set up I sit behind most days when I am not meeting with my co-worker and suppliers can all be done on an ipad small or large. Yeah Steve said it in 2010 the ipad is a viewing consumption device more than a creation device, yeah you can do some basic stuff, not doubt about, I have done it when necessary but you are not doing heavy liftying on an Ipad. Hell my 16GB labtop has come to its knees with some of the spreadsheet whith 100's of thousands of entries are open up.

1. You're using Excel for a job that it wasn't meant for. Ever heard of Access?
    2. Your case represents .01% of the computing market.
  • Reply 15 of 86
    appexappex Posts: 687member

Apple should make a Mac tablet.

• Reply 16 of 86
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Of course he does. He has a team of assistants and the such that do all the other stuff and make it all nice and neat for him. I'm sure they are using Macbook Pros and more.
  • Reply 17 of 86
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    This does not surprise me, If you're only doing emails and view information then you do not need a computer. Only people who are required to actually crunch data and such need a computer. When I travel and I am not doing spreadsheets, Legal contracts or powerpoint presentaion I can easly do what I need on an ipad and my phone.

I highly doubt Tim Cook does anything more than read emails and responds to them. He may look at Apple Specific Metrix which are on some internal app or website.

I read somewhere Tim built the pro out scrap parts by hand, similar to Tony Stark in the first Iron Man movie.
  • Reply 18 of 86
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Add shoes and pants and you're pretty much set!

Time to enjoy reading commentary from people who think ALL people have the same needs/wants THEY have...
  • Reply 19 of 86
    Lol!
    Cook has so many handlers he could travel with nothing but a jar of hand lotion and not miss a thing.
  • Reply 20 of 86
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

Apple should make a Mac tablet.

Don't say, that, you will just be told off.  People will tell you that OSX is not designed for touch input, even though macbooks, mice and magic trackpads abound to interact with the OS via simulated touching of elements.