First software update for the new 4th-gen Apple TV brings tvOS 9.0.1

Comments

• Reply 21 of 69
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    baz1536 wrote: »
    Can press and hold menu for that but I want to know how to easily get back to the Plex main menu!!

Haha I'm stuck too, obviously a work in progress or there are commands I haven't thought of!
  • Reply 22 of 69
    Am happy so far though. Just moved to Plex and it appears to work quite nicely
  • Reply 23 of 69
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member

I haven't had any issues with my ATV4. I don't subscribe to things that need me to type in passwords, so that doesn't matter to me. I also have no need to restrict access for purchases, so I just turned that off.

I might put a patch of velcro on the back of the remote near the bottom for 2 reasons: to stick it near where I store it while not using it; and to feel the bottom to tell top/bottom by tactile feel.

There's a few apps I'm hoping for. I'd like a Hockey Night in Canada app, but it isn't clear if that is coming. I did see direct tv offers an NFL streaming package for iPad and iPhone, although it isn't clear if you can airplay it. Be nice if the NFL channel allowed live streaming via a paid service directly to the ATV4. (Eddie Cue seemed to indicate content providers can do that right now if they choose.) The demoed MLB app sure looked cool, but I have no interest in baseball. I would think board games (like monopoly) would be popular for the holiday season.

Wonder if Apple will allow a VPN client app? Betcha that's a "nope."

• Reply 24 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

What about Siri and music as reported on MR? I am installing now so I will know myself in a few ...

Edit: I can't find anything new Siri can do so far.

Ah .. here is the skinny: http://www.macrumors.com/2015/11/09/siri-apple-music-tvos-9-1-beta/

Yep I can open music on my iTunes Match now verbally and find artists by name! This is awesome.

I can now voice control Plex and Flickr too! This is quite the update after all.

I'd love a list of commands now available, I keep find more by trial and error.

Hey DigiClips,

You got these new capabilities on 9.01 or 9.1?   Edit:   Sorry DC, you already posted the answer above....Thanks!

Thanks,

Larry

• Reply 25 of 69
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    baz1536 wrote: »
    Am happy so far though. Just moved to Plex and it appears to work quite nicely

My Music if a bit iffy. I can select some artists or albubs no problem, while others it will offer me something off of iTunes store instead
    larrymagoo wrote: »

Hey DigiClips,

You got these new capabilities on 9.01 or 9.1?

Thanks,

Larry

• Reply 26 of 69
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member

The biggest idiotic interface move by Apple was to eliminate the "seasons" menu from paid TV shows and instead line up all of the shows from every season into a single side-scrolling list. 

The biggest idiotic move by Netflix was to eliminate the "My List" screen from and instead line up all 150 of my movies and shows into a single side-scrolling list that's only viewable four at a time. 

Another idiotic thing was eliminating the ability to rearrange my movie Wish List.

And then there's the whole lack of support for the Remote app...

Getting a little tired of Apple doing this "two steps forward one step back" thing where they push out a new product that ALMOST replaces the old product.

• Reply 27 of 69
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blazar View Post

The lack of touch ID on this apple TV was a MASSIVE missed opportunity. Putting in a password to buy stuff is crazy onerous. Whoever came up with that was an idiot.

The problem is that the $80 Siri remote would then cost $150 if it were to support touch ID. Maybe they could've allowed for some kind of iPhone Touch ID handoff? In any case, you only need to enter the password once and set your settings to never ask again and it won't. Not a big deal.

The bigger issue is the stupid activation codes and cablebox info that must be entered manually for every network app. That makes for a bad first impression and should've been put higher on Apple's list of things engineers need to make work before releasing the product.

• Reply 28 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wigby View Post

The problem is that the $80 Siri remote would then cost $150 if it were to support touch ID. Maybe they could've allowed for some kind of iPhone Touch ID handoff? In any case, you only need to enter the password once and set your settings to never ask again and it won't. Not a big deal.

The bigger issue is the stupid activation codes and cablebox info that must be entered manually for every network app. That makes for a bad first impression and should've been put higher on Apple's list of things engineers need to make work before releasing the product.

Many of us already have a Siri remote with Touch ID - it's called an iPhone. All that is missing is Apple needs to update the Remote app and/or the Apple TV 4 so it works again.

• Reply 29 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

That decision is made by the App makers, not Apple.

If taking 30 seconds to login to an App is too much for you, then you should stick to cable.

The decision is first made by Apple's own SDK. The same way they decide basic layout, UI, Siri remote support and and if the app even makes it into the store. Whether it's technically out of their control or not, they dropped the ball here because they make the hardware, OS and have the power.

Look at your cable guide and how many channels there are. Now multiply that number by 30 seconds. Are you getting it yet?

• Reply 30 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Why the hell would you use dozens of network apps.  That is beyond dumb.

Just use your cable box.  Unless of course you are stealing cable....

And tell me what device allows you to access network apps WITHOUT login?  You are living in a dream world son.

Shouldn't you be asking why app developers are creating all of these apps and Apple is allowing them if they're so beyond dumb? Don't try to argue your way of using Apple TV as the right way when there are many ways that Apple and developers designed it to be used.

And if I was stealing cable I wouldn't be able to even activate those apps and therefore wouldn't be complaining.

• Reply 31 of 69
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post

Many of us already have a Siri remote with Touch ID - it's called an iPhone. All that is missing is Apple needs to update the Remote app and/or the Apple TV 4 so it works again.

Speaking of using the iPhone, why in the heck does it do a bluetooth auto-setup with WiFi and then not grab iTunes and iCloud credentials?

• Reply 32 of 69

People complain about a closed ecosystem or the lack of an app store on the Apple TV 3, but that's precisely what makes it stable, simple, and consistent. Developers have too much freedom on the Apple TV 4 which results in inconsistency and instability. The Netflix app on the Apple TV 3 works how Apple wants it to. The Netflix app on the Apple TV 4 works how Netflix wants it to, which is a problem.

I can watch Netflix on my Apple TV 3s, iPhone, iPad, Blu-Ray players, TiVos, or smart TVs. The Netflix interface is garbage on everything except the Apple TV 3. Apple took that away with the the Apple TV 4. Now that it looks and operates similar to devices other than the Apple TV 3, I may as well watch Netflix on the smart TV which is already on and I'm already holding the remote for.

• Reply 33 of 69
    laytechlaytech Posts: 335member
    Hope it fixes the woeful feature of Photos and photo stream
  • Reply 34 of 69

NO - it does not fix the movie and tv shows restrictions.  Even with restrictions enabled, the kids can still view the entire selection of the shows and movies in the native apps.  Even with purchase &rental turned off - all movies and tv shows selections are still visible.  

The 2nd/3rd gen ATV restrictions still work - but the restriction settings on the new ATV 4th gen does not work correctly.

• Reply 35 of 69
    ahmlco wrote: »
    The biggest idiotic interface move by Apple was to eliminate the "seasons" menu from paid TV shows and instead line up all of the shows from every season into a single side-scrolling list. 

The biggest idiotic move by Netflix was to eliminate the "My List" screen from and instead line up all 150 of my movies and shows into a single side-scrolling list that's only viewable four at a time. 

Another idiotic thing was eliminating the ability to rearrange my movie Wish List.

And then there's the whole lack of support for the Remote app...

Getting a little tired of Apple doing this "two steps forward one step back" thing where they push out a new product that ALMOST replaces the old product.

You forgot a few:
    No Amazon video
    No optical out
    No A9 chip
    No TouchID
    No Rose Gold option
    No 3D Touch
    No haptic/vibration
    Too expensive
    Walled garden
  • Reply 36 of 69
    Does anyone know how to download movies to the new Apple TV?
  • Reply 37 of 69
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    icastillo wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to download movies to the new Apple TV?

search for movie. click it to watch.
  • Reply 38 of 69
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    search for movie. click it to watch.
    Lets say I want to travel with it, can't I just pick a few of my movies, download and take?
  • Reply 39 of 69

Now if Netflix can bring back a Browse menu - if it's suitable for their website, surely it would be a good idea on ATV4.  And if they could list things like they do with Search I'd be happy. Seeing everything in one row is crap.

• Reply 40 of 69
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

What about Siri and music as reported on MR? I am installing now so I will know myself in a few ...

Edit: I can't find anything new Siri can do so far.

Ah .. here is the skinny: http://www.macrumors.com/2015/11/09/siri-apple-music-tvos-9-1-beta/

Yep I can open music on my iTunes Match now verbally and find artists by name! This is awesome.

I can now voice control Plex and Flickr too! This is quite the update after all.

I'd love a list of commands now available, I keep find more by trial and error.

We’re talking about two different things. I’m talking about tvOS 9.0.1 while YOU are talking about tvOS 9.1 beta. Get it?