Apple CEO Tim Cook says he travels with just an iPad Pro and iPhone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 86
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    haggar wrote: »
    We can be guaranteed that the day Apple announces a Mac with a touchscreen, there will be months of endless gloating by the public.  I think Apple is trying to delay this as long as they can, perhaps until Jony Ive or Phil Schiller retire, because their fragile egos may not be able to handle being publicly called out and asked to explain.  Just look at all the uproar caused by the Pencil after Steve put his foot in his mouth.  You want to see Jony Ive lose any more hair, or Schiller go through more binge eating? :lol:  

Steve didn't put his foot in his mouth.
  • Reply 42 of 86

The fact that windows is a nonstarter for you makes your whole point about the surface invalid. The surface was very expressly designed for people who need the full desktop class experience of Windows in as portable and versatile a form factor as possible. Which it turns out is actually quite a few people based on sales numbers.

• Reply 43 of 86
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    We can be guaranteed that the day Apple announces a Mac with a touchscreen, there will be months of endless gloating by the public.  I think Apple is trying to delay this as long as they can, perhaps until Jony Ive or Phil Schiller retire, because their fragile egos may not be able to handle being publicly called out and asked to explain.  Just look at all the uproar caused by the Pencil after Steve put his foot in his mouth.  You want to see Jony Ive lose any more hair, or Schiller go through more binge eating? :lol:  

And what will people do if Apple never releases a Mac with a touch screen? If it was going to happen we would never have gotten the new MacBook or the iPad Pro.
  • Reply 44 of 86
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Steve didn't put his foot in his mouth.

I swear people are being willfully obtuse regarding Steve's comment. Everyone knows what he meant. They're just choosing to interpret it differently so they can go trolling on message boards and Twitter claiming Apple did something Steve Jobs wouldn't have.
  • Reply 45 of 86
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Did you miss the word "travels" in the headline?

Perhaps a little off on a tangent, but I was replying to a comment about Macs and what I wrote could apply to a 15" MBP as well. which is what I would work on if traveling.

Honestly, I find my iPad extremely frustrating to try to do any writing, editing, coding, or graphics. Even simply using email can be aggravating when you can't drop the cursor where you need to. There are no arrow keys and it is hard to get between two characters, so you end up having to retype the entire word in order to make an edit. Every task seems to take several extra steps.

• Reply 46 of 86
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    9secondko wrote: »
    Of course Cook does. He just does email, maybe some spreadsheets, FaceTime, and reviews other people's work.

Can't imagine the marketing, industrial design, and software engineers doing this.

thankfully, the planet is not populated solely of people doing industrial design and software engineering. in fact, id bet there are more people with needs like Cooks (cars) than your scenario (trucks).
  • Reply 47 of 86
    rogifan wrote: »
    I just saw a CNN interview with Eddy Cue. Looks like the same interview he gave for Apple TV. When asked why iPad Pro he said he used it for email, reading and going to websites. Yes I'm sure all those things are really great on iPad Pro but that's not how you sell someone on this device. Ugh, I guess Apple is better off letting other people sell this product then.

man, if only Apple had the help they need to sell more devices.
  • Reply 48 of 86
    maestro64 wrote: »
    yeah I like to see you work on a large spreadsheet which references other spreadsheets which do VLookup and complicated calculations along with charts with thousands of lines items feeding into the charts all while have them actively linked in a Powerpoint presentation.

sounds like you need a truck. im a software dev and ive never done any of those things in my spreadsheets. sounds like i need a car.
  • Reply 49 of 86
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Yet you can do all that on an iPad.

Stop, you're ruining the Narrative of Productivity(tm) as told by very important and super-productive people.

• Reply 50 of 86
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

On a tour to promote this week's launch of the iPad Pro, Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook said the new 12.9-inch tablet, as well as the iPhone, paired with an Apple Watch, are the only products he is traveling with.

Cook's admission that he is traveling and conducting business on the road without a Mac was made to U.K. newspaper The Independent. When paired with Apple's new Smart Keyboard cover, Cook said the iPad Pro is a great device for traditional computing, especially with Split View multitasking in iOS.

What does his administrative assistant travel with?

• Reply 51 of 86
    We can be guaranteed that the day Apple announces a Mac with a touchscreen, there will be months of endless gloating by the public.  I think Apple is trying to delay this as long as they can, perhaps until Jony Ive or Phil Schiller retire, because their fragile egos may not be able to handle being publicly called out and asked to explain.  Just look at all the uproar caused by the Pencil after Steve put his foot in his mouth.

what a nonsense, troll post. Jobs didnt put his foot in his mouth, he stated a fact -- if the tablet OS requires a stylus for input, they blew it. obviously, Pencil is an accessory designed for drawing, not simply using the device.
  • Reply 52 of 86
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

This does not surprise me, If you're only doing emails and view information then you do not need a computer. Only people who are required to actually crunch data and such need a computer. When I travel and I am not doing spreadsheets, Legal contracts or powerpoint presentaion I can easly do what I need on an ipad and my phone.

I highly doubt Tim Cook does anything more than read emails and responds to them. He may look at Apple Specific Metrix which are on some internal app or website.

I understand your point but... the iPad most definitely is a computer. So is the iPhone.

• Reply 53 of 86
    Sounds like the iPad Pro can do pretty much everything you can do on the new MacBook with its paltry core M processor. Makes the later pretty pointless.
  • Reply 54 of 86
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Perhaps a little off on a tangent, but I was replying to a comment about Macs and what I wrote could apply to a 15" MBP as well. which is what I would work on if traveling.

Honestly, I find my iPad extremely frustrating to try to do any writing, editing, coding, or graphics. Even simply using email can be aggravating when you can't drop the cursor where you need to. There are no arrow keys and it is hard to get between two characters, so you end up having to retype the entire word in order to make an edit. Every task seems to take several extra steps.

I can drop my cursor precisely where I want to. Why can't you? Your complaint is ridiculously overblown in iOS 9 (and it would have been pretty over the top for iOS 8). It was a very mild inconvenience in iOS 8 and before, but with iOS 9, cursor movement is astonishingly easy and accurate. If you're taking a lot of extra steps and it's the fault of iOS, shame on iOS. If you're taking a lot of extra steps and it's not the fault of iOS, shame on you. ;)

• Reply 55 of 86
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    We can be guaranteed that the day Apple announces a Mac with a touchscreen, there will be months of endless gloating by the public.  I think Apple is trying to delay this as long as they can, perhaps until Jony Ive or Phil Schiller retire, because their fragile egos may not be able to handle being publicly called out and asked to explain.  Just look at all the uproar caused by the Pencil after Steve put his foot in his mouth.

what a nonsense, troll post. Jobs didnt put his foot in his mouth, he stated a fact -- if the tablet OS requires a stylus for input, they blew it. obviously, Pencil is an accessory designed for drawing, not simply using the device.

Except he didn't say "if the tablet OS requires a stylus for input" you're just guessing at what he meant. SJ said 'If you see a stylus' which is a pretty straight forward and absolute statement.

I much prefer Tim Cook's way of speaking. He rarely makes absolute statements that can come back and make him look foolish.
  • Reply 56 of 86
    OMG! Does anybody knows what brand underwear he wears when he travels. I'll buy the same.
  • Reply 57 of 86
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

If you're taking a lot of extra steps and it's not the fault of iOS, shame on you. ;)

I'm saying it is the fault of the OS.

If the text is close to the top it can be very difficult to select or drop the cursor, for example trying to edit the To: Address. And don't get me started on handling images within the email. There is no way to scale or reduce the size unless you started the email from the Photos app. And even then you can only choose small medium or large, but you have no idea what the email is going to look like because as soon as you select one of the choices the email is gone.

• Reply 58 of 86
    Companies create corporate info systems and intranets that presents its' information, reports to view, graphs, reports to submit, fill out forms, etc., through a web browser. So then it is easy enough to have your company's intranet and info systems accessed from iPads. You can have your favorite corporate intranet page with hourly worldwide sales on one side and be firing off emails on the other side of the iPad Pro..
  • Reply 59 of 86
    Quote:

Originally Posted by portcity View Post

Sounds like the iPad Pro can do pretty much everything you can do on the new MacBook with its paltry core M processor. Makes the later pretty pointless.

I see what you are saying but I guess it all depends on what the use case is. I wouldn't go so far as to say the MacBook is pointless.

If you are working on developing an app for iOS or Mac for example then you need Xcode, which only runs on OSX. So you would want the MacBook or Air at the very least. Or if you do a ton of typing in general you might like a laptop keyboard with trackpad.

If you are doing creative things that use the pencil - like art work or manipulating photos, or if you are composing music, or doing other creative things I can't think of, you might like the iPad Pro. 

If you are just doing the basics like browsing, email, watching video, etc. then the iPad Pro - or any iPad for that matter is likely just fine.

They are two very different devices and hard to compare/recommend without knowing exactly how the user will be using them.

But that is just my opinion.

• Reply 60 of 86
    Quote:

Originally Posted by portcity View Post

With the exception of creating complex documents, yes it can.  Someone else mentioned about doing software dev with Xcode on a MB.  Honestly, I think the MB is too slow for dev work.