Apple goes to space in first iPad Pro ad, touts split screen multitasking & Apple Pencil

Posted:
in iPad edited November 2015
Ahead of Apple's iPad Pro preorder kickoff on Wednesday, the company released a new TV spot highlighting the advantages of a gigantic touchscreen, including split screen views in iOS 9 and Apple Pencil markup support.

Emphasizing the immense screen real estate offered by iPad Pro's 12.9-inch display, Apple spends more than half of its 30-second "A Great Big Universe" commercial on awe inspiring images of the cosmos. The camera slowly pans out to reveal iPad Pro running Sky Guide -- albeit with greatly enhanced imagery -- to survey the night sky.

Aside from the huge screen, a major hardware draw for many, Apple also shows off split screen multitasking and a sample of note taking support using the $99 Apple Pencil accessory. The features are shown in quick succession before the tagline "Introducing the biggest iPad ever" splashes across the screen.

According to The Verge, the ad is set to debut during Monday Night Football later tonight.

Apple announced earlier today that it will start accepting iPad Pro preorders on Wednesday, with shipments due to arrive later this week. Third-party resellers pegged availability for Friday, though Apple has not yet revealed an official release date.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    Well, there is another company that loves bigger. Looking forward to the farce that is on the way with bigger tablets. Thankfully Apple will actually have sales and profits and apps for its big tablet! ????
  • Reply 2 of 23
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Well, there is another company that loves bigger. Looking forward to the farce that is on the way with bigger tablets. Thankfully Apple will actually have sales and profits and apps for its big tablet! ????

It's already started.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    When's the last time Apple ran a TV ad for the iPad?
  • Reply 4 of 23
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

I noticed an ad "surface" the other day, which was showing off a stylus and clip on keyboard, came from an irrelevant smartphone maker.

• Reply 5 of 23
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    [quote name="leavingthebigG" url="/t/190035/apple-goes-to-space-in-first-ipad-pro-ad-touts-split-screen-multitasking-apple-pencil#post_2803672"]Well, there is another company that loves bigger. Looking forward to the farce that is on the way with bigger tablets. Thankfully Apple will actually have sales and profits and apps for its big tablet! ....
    Yup
  • Reply 6 of 23

Oh yes a "Gigantic iPad" LOL

Try multi tasking with two data intensive programs.

A pencil that doesn't work as well as your finger.

4GB ram for a Metal effects.

Schiller says this is faster than 90% of the laptops with the deceit of including everything cheaper than the this overpriced, dystopian product

• Reply 7 of 23
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Does not do justice ....
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

It's already started.

Then there is the Panasonic 20" 4K: http://business.panasonic.com/toughpad/us/4k-tablet.html

We have a client that uses these for a sales presentation application. They are pretty nice, but very pricey (>US$4K). They run a full-screen app, so users don't see the desktop.

• Reply 9 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Emphasizing the immense screen real estate offered by iPad Pro's 12.9-inch display...

I get that it's all relative, and of course the difference between tablets and laptops, but I still find it odd that a 12.9" screen is considered "immense." If it's a laptop, 12.9" is pretty small. Sure it's a different use case, but even the 15" rMBP is fairly svelte--yet now it is the rMBP that is starting to look ginormous by comparison.

• Reply 10 of 23
    rogifan wrote: »
    When's the last time Apple ran a TV ad for the iPad?

Limited run with the Air 2 launch, that's the last time I know of.

The music in this ad was horrible.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    The video is multiple views of the Galaxy.

Samsung will be showing videos of Apples on their new 18 inch behemoth.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    One of the best Ads I've ever seen!!!!
  • Reply 13 of 23
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

Hey folks, please help me out here.

I have just searched dozens of demo videos for "Sky Guide" (the App featured in this ad) on youtube, and have checked the "Fifth Star Labs" website (creator of the App). And I am unable to find any examples, instructions, etc. of the App doing anything like what is shown in this commercial.

What am I missing??

• Reply 14 of 23
    solipsismy wrote: »

LOL! Samsung is the biggest shit shoveler in tech.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

I have just searched dozens of demo videos for "Sky Guide" (the App featured in this ad) on youtube, and have checked the "Fifth Star Labs" website (creator of the App). And I am unable to find any examples, instructions, etc. of the App doing anything like what is shown in this commercial.

What am I missing??

The beginning of the commercial is really just exaggerating what Sky Guide does. The drawing scene is a different app. 

• Reply 16 of 23
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

What am I missing??

The beginning of the commercial is really just exaggerating what Sky Guide does. The drawing scene is a different app. 

I hope that's not true.

If it is; I believe that would be an Apple first.

• Reply 17 of 23
    Worst ad.. People unfamiliar with the iPad get like what, two second to understand what they're watching?
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Please, please when will get an app for the aPencil that does handwriting recognition? Perhaps I should erect a shrine to Steve Jobs and put offerings before it every morning and light candles every night?
  • Reply 19 of 23

I'm not sure why Apple didn't use the iPhone's 4K camera in the iPad Pro, especially when they promote its 4K video editing capability. It also only does 120fps video capture, the iPhone 6 and 6s both hit 240fps.

Apple would've come closer to completing their "Pro" moniker with a 4K camera and 4K editing.

• Reply 20 of 23
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member