Apple Music for Android beta now available on Google Play

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited November 2015
Apple on Tuesday released a beta version of its Apple Music service for Android users, just the third time the Cupertino company has crafted an application for its rival mobile operating system.

Android users can now begin their three-month trial of Apple Music, though Apple says the beta does come with some restrictions. Music videos are not yet available, and the sign-up process hasn't been optimized for Android -- purchasing or upgrading to a family membership will require a Mac or iOS device.

The service's other tentpoles are present, however. Just like those on iOS, tvOS, and the Mac, Apple Music users on Android can access human-curated playlists, Beats 1 radio, Connect, and iTunes purchases.

Apple appears to have adapted the application's user interface slightly to conform to Android interaction paradigms, but doesn't seem to have adopted Google's material design.

Apple Music sits at version 0.9.0 for Google's platform and requires Android 4.3 or above. Android users can download the 29-megabyte Apple Music beta for free from the Google Play Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27

I think this Craig Federighi parody twitter account says it best.

• Reply 2 of 27

Apple Music app on Google Play will soon be followed by thousands of 1 star reviews bashing Apple. 

• Reply 3 of 27
    Let the 1-star reviews begin!
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

Apple Music app on Google Play will soon be followed by thousands of 1 star reviews bashing Apple. 

That's fine.  

Don't expect to many tackers, just a lot of 3 month trials.

Android losers don't want to pay for anything. lol

• Reply 5 of 27
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    That's fine.  
    Don't expect to many tackers, just a lot of 3 month trials.
    Android losers don't want to pay for anything. lol
    I gonna give it a spin and I pay for all my services, current music streamers included. ;)

Edit: Interesting set of permissions it wants. . . :\
    Access to browsing history? Names of connected wifi devices? Call information?
  • Reply 6 of 27
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I gonna give it a spin and I pay for all my services, current music streamers included. image

Edit: Interesting set of permissions it wants. . . image

It's just trying to fit in and conform with the permissions requested by most other Android apps :)

• Reply 7 of 27
    slurpy wrote: »
    It's just trying to fit in and conform with the permissions requested by most other Android apps :)
    Yeah, not so different than what would be expected. Android M can't roll out fast enough. Literally. Not.Fast.Enough :smokey:
  • Reply 8 of 27
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

Just out of curiosity I checked it out on the Google Play store.  Sure enough... the haters are beginning to come out from under their rocks.

• Reply 9 of 27

I'm sure that this Apple software will give Android users a bad case of genital warts or something like that, anything that'll deserve a 1 star rating.

• Reply 10 of 27
    sflocal wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity I checked it out on the Google Play store.  Sure enough... the haters are beginning to come out from under their rocks.
    It was five stars when I downloaded it.

Waiting for Apple to "authenticate" my current Apple ID. I guess because I logged in via Google Play they had locked it "for security purposes". :D
  • Reply 11 of 27
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sflocal wrote: »

Most are complaints of not being able to create an account.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Most are complaints of not being able to create an account.
    I already had an account so perhaps that's it.

I 'm going to play for awhile.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

It’s like that scene in the latest King Kong movie where the giant bugs start coming out of the ooze to attack the hapless humans.

• Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

I'm sure that this Apple software will give Android users a bad case of genital warts or something like that, anything that'll deserve a 1 star rating.

Well there is a thread on the Apple discussion forums where users are declaring the ?Watch ‘burns’ their skin and causes pain in their wrists because of its electromagnetic emanations. There are some pretty screwed up people in this world.

• Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:

I already had an account so perhaps that's it.

I 'm going to play for awhile.

Be sure to let us know when you delete it because you can’t stand it any longer and how it’s so inferior to whatever you’re using now. We’re waiting with baited breath.

• Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:

I gonna give it a spin and I pay for all my services, current music streamers included. image

Edit: Interesting set of permissions it wants. . . image

Browsing history? I don't see that in the list of permissions it asks for.

Connected WiFi devices? How is it able to connect to WiFi in order to allow streaming?

Read phone status and identity? This is a flaw in Android. Apps need to know if the phone is ringing or in use in order to properly handle calls (like muting your music and transferring audio to the phone). Unfortunately, Android does not separate out the basic stuff (like being notified if the phone is ringing or the user is making a call) from the more serious stuff (like getting your IMEI number or a list of phone numbers of people you've called). So it makes it appear they are asking for too many permissions when it's Android giving you an "all or nothing" option.

Curiously, Android DOES separate out the ability to MAKE calls directly from an App from the "Read phone status and identity" permission. They just need to further separate out other phone permissions so that Apps that want to handle phone calls/audio properly can do so without freaking people out.

• Reply 17 of 27
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I gonna give it a spin and I pay for all my services, current music streamers included. ;)

Edit: Interesting set of permissions it wants. . . :\

Just close your eyes and pretend Google is asking for those permissions. You do trust Google, don't you?
  • Reply 18 of 27

that is a good thing, you know. the worst case is no one cares.

• Reply 19 of 27
    lkrupp wrote: »

Be sure to let us know when you delete it because you can’t stand it any longer and how it’s so inferior to whatever you’re using now. We’re waiting with baited bated (fixed for you, Common mistake) breath.
    If I did it would be the first time I've ever said something from Apple was inferior.
    Browsing history? I don't see that in the list of permissions it asks for.

Connected WiFi devices? How is it able to connect to WiFi in order to allow streaming?

Read phone status and identity? This is a flaw in Android. Apps need to know if the phone is ringing or in use in order to properly handle calls (like muting your music and transferring audio to the phone). Unfortunately, Android does not separate out the basic stuff (like being notified if the phone is ringing or the user is making a call) from the more serious stuff (like getting your IMEI number or a list of phone numbers of people you've called). So it makes it appear they are asking for too many permissions when it's Android giving you an "all or nothing" option.

Curiously, Android DOES separate out the ability to MAKE calls directly from an App from the "Read phone status and identity" permission. They just need to further separate out other phone permissions so that Apps that want to handle phone calls/audio properly can do so without freaking people out.
    Apple explains the reasons for those permissions differently that you did, so not exactly the reasons you gave. Click the red Apple Privacy at the bottom of the install screen. Nothing worrisome in any event.

Just close your eyes and pretend Google is asking for those permissions. You do trust Google, don't you?
    I trust both companies which is why I didn't hesitate to install it.

It's almost as tho you three would rather I didn't try out Apple Music. :rolleyes: Don't worry guys. I'll let everyone decide for themselves what they think of it. I won't be offering a "review". :lol:
  • Reply 20 of 27
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    BAD IDEA.

I say screw the cheap 'droid crowd and like Steve Jobs said, DON'T MAKE THEM HAPPY!!

With ?Music gaining popularity without droid, I say there's no need. Better yet Apple should discontinue the 'droid version after they're hooked on it.

Giving away parts of the ecosystem will make them comfy. If they want Apple software, they should buy Apple hardware.

I like how they sneaked in iTunes purchases though. XD
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Yeah, not so different than what would be expected. Android M can't roll out fast enough. Literally. Not.Fast.Enough :smokey:

Oh God. Buy an iPhone and stop bi***ing.

Android users are always waiting for an iPhone to come to their cheap OS.