Tim Cook says businesses should tackle climate change & equal rights proactively, not wait for gover

Comments

• Reply 21 of 227
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    For those of us that have been around long enough this is exactly what has happened. I went through the very same thing in school.
    There is nothing worst than a liberal that has his easy income stream threatened. I'm referencing liberals her mainly because of Al Gore who is driving the whole business of climate change to his financial advantage. I really don't believe all liberals are that stupid to fall for his nonsense.
    NASA has evidence of significant increases of mass in areas where ice collects. Why this information is suppressed is beyond me.
    The constant massaging of data that goes into the models ought to highlight to anybody with any sense that there are ethical problems with the science.
    Honestly if Tim cook really wanted to help the world he would be supporting the various techniques being studied to bring low cost nuclear fusion on line as a power source. In the end it tis the only way to save the earth and keep it a livable and natural place to be. There simply isn't enough land mass to devote to solar farms, especially considering that the human population continues to grow.

Amidst all the garbage, you have one good point. Fusion research should be well-funded.

Whether Apple sees a role for itself in that is another question. Maybe they already have someone looking into that sort of adventure; I wouldn't be surprised.

Reforestation is already one thing they're doing to offset solar collecting over arable land. Looks like most solar goes over desert. Too bad, but it isn't like cutting down rainforest.

God, you atavists like to dig in your heels.
  • Reply 22 of 227

The biggest scam in history. 

• Reply 23 of 227
    Even if a 2?C increase in temperature was a reality its isn't the bing problem many make it out to be. However if this value was true or if we had seen a real increase in ocean temperatures the end result would be massive storms generated due to the extra thermal energy in the oceans. We have seen nothing like this even if every storm of the last few years is grossly exaggerated in the media as to its size and power. If any thing the over all planet wide impact of storms has decreased.

Now i do believe that heat in the oceans plays a big role in the intensity of the storms that can come off them. If we have seen nothing in the way of more storms and storms of greater intensity then obviously there is not enough extra energy going into the oceans to suggest that global warming is happening. In other words there would be a real effect, that can be seen, if in fact planetary temperatures where rising.

As for California, come on, anybody with a bit of education knows the most of California is naturally a desert. Saying that there is a drought in the desert is well less that impressive display of intelligence.
    This is totally BS, simply because we would have already have seen such event if there was a real increase in thermal energy going into the oceans. Even after the media tries to blow the size of of this seasons storms out of proportion to reality, the actual impacts of the storms indicates far less intensity that was alluded to. In other words we are seining bold faced lies hit with the hard reality of truth.

Beyond all of that one can go back through the history of this country and find that large storms have in fact hit the eastern coast and the Caribbean at regular intervals.
    The Sacramento area is not desert bonehead. Drought is there too buddy
  • Reply 24 of 227
    Without China or India making massive reductions in their output of pollutants (and they won't do this until they have a very large upper class and middle-class with significant political influence), Tim is merely engaging in a game of one upmanship with other Valley companies.

I'm guessing Tim has gotten used to the idea that he can make a difference because of his influential position at Apple and I bet he enters politics at some point in the not too distant future. Honestly, if this is what he'd rather spend his time on I wish he'd hand the reigns over to someone with 100% focus on Apple.
  • Reply 25 of 227
    blastdoor wrote: »
    Why fusion? Why not just keep burning fossil fuels? I mean if the whole global warming thing is a hoax by that evil genius Al Gore, then why not just keep extracting and burning?

Hey, you're right. I take back that bone I threw him in my last post.

Coal is way cheaper than fusion, and after that's gone we can burn peat. Tons of it in Indonesia. To hell with the Orangutans. They're embarrassing to Re . . . oh, never mind.
  • Reply 26 of 227

I think Tim's stance here is an excellent one, and it can be applied to lots of other issues--if you don't want the government to solve problems (and it doesn't really matter whether the issues are unequivocally proven or just widely believed), being proactive allows you to satisfy people on your own terms, which is typically better for you than whatever a bunch of politicians are going to come up with. Plus it makes you look good.

In this specific case, it looks like there's not really a broad consensus about global warming, except among scientists:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/big-gap-between-what-scientists-say-and-americans-think-about-climate-change/

but it doesn't surprise me that Tim would side with science on this one, and better safe than sorry, especially when the stakes are this high.

• Reply 27 of 227
    latifbp wrote: »
    The Sacramento area is not desert bonehead. Drought is there too buddy

He doesn't know about the Sierra snowpack, because where he lives there are no hills, even. Scraped flat over 10,000 years during the last Ice Age.
  • Reply 28 of 227
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

We don't want to debate it...because we'd lose and we know it.

The world has much greater problems to face than Al Gore's latest money making scheme.

One of these days, would be nice to enter a thread and find out that you haven't completely shat on it, and sucked out every ounce of intelligence and intellectualism out of it. How petty must one be, to believe the whole area of climate change boils down to "Al Gore"? I can't even imagine the small-mindedness, intellectual dishonesty, and pettiness that one must resort to in order to make such an asinine claim. 

Why don't you just do us all a favor and stop buying Apple products, since you obviously despise almost everything the company stands for? Stop threatening to do it, just do it. Trust me, no one will care. Why not spend your time on right-wing blogs, where people will celebrate your stupidity, and since you believe Tim Cook is "evil", "corrupt", or a moron for believing in Climate change? Your extremist mentality is frankly nauseating. 

• Reply 29 of 227
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthur123 View Post

So what melted the 2 mile thick (10,000 plus feet) glaciers covering half of North America just 18,000 years ago?

A natural phenomenon that happens to be WAY slower than the human caused one we are currently witnessing. Did you not take science back in high school?

• Reply 30 of 227
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Quote:

We don't want to debate it...because we'd lose and we know it.

The world has much greater problems to face than Al Gore's latest money making scheme.

One of these days, would be nice to enter a thread and find out that you haven't completely shat on it, and sucked out every ounce of intelligence and intellectualism out of it. How petty must one be, to believe the whole area of climate change boils down to "Al Gore"? I can't even imagine the small-mindedness, intellectual dishonesty, and pettiness that one must resort to in order to make such an asinine claim. 

Why don't you just do us all a favor and stop buying Apple products, since you obviously despise almost everything the company stands for? Stop threatening to do it, just do it. Trust me, no one will care. Why not spend your time on right-wing blogs, where people will celebrate your stupidity, and since you believe Tim Cook is "evil", "corrupt", or a moron for believing in Climate change? Your extremist mentality is frankly nauseating. 

"Al Gore" is an easy sound-bite to throw out to avoid actually engaging in serious debate on the subject. Which would require knowing something about the subject in the first place, as opposed to being told what to think.

• Reply 31 of 227
    Without China or India making massive reductions in their output of pollutants (and they won't do this until they have a very large upper class and middle-class with significant political influence), Tim is merely engaging in a game of one upmanship with other Valley companies.

I'm guessing Tim has gotten used to the idea that he can make a difference because of his influential position at Apple and I bet he enters politics at some point in the not too distant future. Honestly, if this is what he'd rather spend his time on I wish he'd hand the reigns over to someone with 100% focus on Apple.

He can have more influence in China than perhaps you are imagining. This would naturally be part of company strategy: influence through information. They are selling information and knowledge tools.

Not everyone gets it, as this thread shows. Americans have internalized their own totalitariarian thinking. Science, reality, cultural evolution — none matter to the Fox News crowd. They just know that they hate social progress. And social responsibility, especially. I have the feeling you're not going to agree with this last point.
  • Reply 32 of 227

Crap, I should’ve seen this thread sooner.

Environmentalism has nothing to do with anthropogenic global warming.

I applaud and support Apple’s environmental efforts. I denounce their deluded corporate belief in AGW.

• Reply 33 of 227
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Even if a 2?C increase in temperature was a reality its isn't the bing problem many make it out to be. However if this value was true or if we had seen a real increase in ocean temperatures the end result would be massive storms generated due to the extra thermal energy in the oceans. We have seen nothing like this even if every storm of the last few years is grossly exaggerated in the media as to its size and power. If any thing the over all planet wide impact of storms has decreased.

Now i do believe that heat in the oceans plays a big role in the intensity of the storms that can come off them. If we have seen nothing in the way of more storms and storms of greater intensity then obviously there is not enough extra energy going into the oceans to suggest that global warming is happening. In other words there would be a real effect, that can be seen, if in fact planetary temperatures where rising.

As for California, come on, anybody with a bit of education knows the most of California is naturally a desert. Saying that there is a drought in the desert is well less that impressive display of intelligence.
    This is totally BS, simply because we would have already have seen such event if there was a real increase in thermal energy going into the oceans. Even after the media tries to blow the size of of this seasons storms out of proportion to reality, the actual impacts of the storms indicates far less intensity that was alluded to. In other words we are seining bold faced lies hit with the hard reality of truth.

Beyond all of that one can go back through the history of this country and find that large storms have in fact hit the eastern coast and the Caribbean at regular intervals.

Basic lack of both science, probabilities and risk allows you to make and believe such poppycock. Yes, you can almost always see occurrences of extreme events -- but that says little or nothing.

The simplest analogy to deal with citing of extreme events in the past to deny the seriousness of climate change is this.

We have two six sided dice. An extreme event is rolling a 12, with a probability of 1/36. Now, add one dot to each side on each die. The probability of rolling a 12 jumps to 3/36 because we can roll a 6x6, but also 5x7 and 7x5. Further we now can roll a 13 (6x7, and 7x6) and even a 14 (7x7). So, now the probability of extreme events went from 1 out of 36 to 6 out of 36.

This is the effect of climate change.
  • Reply 34 of 227

Looks like Cook has fully bought into the "climate change" (formerly known as global warming) hoax, and other progressive agendum that's damaging societies around the globe...  

Wonder if he's ever considered the irony of plowing down hundreds of acres of trees & plants to install solar panels (using their data center in my back yard in NC as an example).  Wonder how that "equal rights" stuff (formerly known as immorality) is working out for them in the Middle East?

Well, at least Apple still makes insanely great products.  Don't know how long that will last however if the leadership can't think clearly.

• Reply 35 of 227
    Agreed with Tim.

Nice to see this side of Apple.
  • Reply 36 of 227
    mytdave wrote: »
    Looks like Cook has fully bought into the "climate change" (formerly known as global warming) hoax, and other progressive agendum that's damaging societies around the globe...  

Wonder if he's ever considered the irony of plowing down hundreds of acres of trees & plants to install solar panels (using their data center in my back yard in NC as an example).  Wonder how that "equal rights" stuff (formerly known as immorality) is working out for them in the Middle East?

Well, at least Apple still makes insanely great products.  Don't know how long that will last however if the leadership can't think clearly.

It's a real concern. Mozilla's been having serious issues with Firefox lately because the organization's culture has been destroyed since the Eich lynching.
  • Reply 37 of 227
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Tackle climate change proactively, not wait for governments? Then:

- Stop producing waste like iMac built-in displays. Instead, build standalone Macs plus displays. Macs may be obsolete in three to six years, whereas displays may last for decades.

- Stop producing wireless waste when wired alternatives work even better, like keyboards/mice.

- Stop producing wireless charging, which is a waste.

- Stop producing non-upgradable RAM and disks whenever possible.

Or at least promote them versus the polluting alternatives!
  • Reply 38 of 227
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

It's a real concern. Mozilla's been having serious issues with Firefox lately because the organization's culture has been destroyed since the Eich lynching.

Yup, the only reason FF has been having problems is because of the Eich "lynching". No other reasons at all, including the fact that FF is competing against billion dollar companies with a lot more leverage, the explosion of mobile, and who have their own browsers set as defaults on all their platforms. Nope, none of that factors at all. You're honestly one of the most dishonest people on this forum, that twists reality in such an extreme fashion in order to fit your narrow narrative. 

And yes, what a concern it is for Apple to be making fantastic long term investments in things like solar power for their operations. Just a massive disaster. People like you have been doing the whole "concern" hand-wringing thing since the day Cook took office, and after 5 years Apple is more successful than its ever been and Cook has more than proven his mettle. Yet, because of your dishonesty, you will keep this "Apple is doomed because of their liberal agenda, I'm concerned" charade going. No, you're not concerned. It's just a more cowardly way for you to spout your hatred. Same as the "Apple products would have less bugs if Cook wasn't gay" trash you've spouted on several occasions. 

It's also cute how you pretend that you know something that Cook doesn't, when it comes to these issues. That you are somehow too bright to be bamboozled by some conspiracy, while Cook, an insanely intelligent and accomplished human being, is just too fucking stupid to see through it. Whatever helps you sleep at night, we all need some kind of fake validation I guess. 

• Reply 39 of 227
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

what is at issue here is mans contribution to that climate change and the proper way to address that contribution. For example wasting massive amounts of land mass, for solar panel collection of electrical energy, is absolute stupidity.

So what do you think we should do, the proper way to address a warming world?

Do you believe that we are capable of modeling the world's climate? If not, do you think it is attainable? If a global climate model is attainable, would you follow what it says to do?

• Reply 40 of 227
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

Why fusion? Why not just keep burning fossil fuels? I mean if the whole global warming thing is a hoax by that evil genius Al Gore, then why not just keep extracting and burning?

Why fusion?  Because we'll eventually run out of petroleum products ("fossil fuels") to burn - unless that obscure theory that the earth's core generates more petro actually proves accurate.  It's important to save as much of this resource as possible for use in other products (plastics, lubricants, etc.).  Petro is the most efficient energy source we currently have.  It is being abused and wasted in some places (like China) but it's not warming the planet.

Fusion and other energy technologies are great.  Rational thinking people are not opposed to such technologies at all, but are also bright enough to see the "climate change" lobby is a huge fraud.  Parting thoughts: Should it not figure that if the earth was able to trap petroleum, it should not have a problem releasing it either?  Do people not realize that petroleum (oil, coal, etc.) is a natural product?