Apple shares dive on rumors of weak iPhone 6s demand

Comments

• Reply 41 of 108

It is as simple as was stated. The shares are retired. It is a means to increase shareholder value.

• Reply 42 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDBA View Post

I somehow doubt that it's as simple as you say it is. Mind you I don't know much about stocks and trades but IMO it would be a very dumbass move on Apple's part to simply retire the stock but still let remaining stockholders 100% ownership of the company. 

What you probably meant is, that when Apple buys, let's say 5% of its shares back, then that is 5% less out in the open market. That 5% control of the company is now controlled by Apple Inc. 

My understanding is that they keep some of the shares to meet options obligations (promises to employees etc) and the rest they retire. Easy enough to check. See:

https://ycharts.com/companies/AAPL/shares_outstanding

compare to google: https://ycharts.com/companies/GOOG/shares_outstanding

Must buy more popcorn.

• Reply 43 of 108
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheDBA View Post

I somehow doubt that it's as simple as you say it is. Mind you I don't know much about stocks and trades but IMO it would be a very dumbass move on Apple's part to simply retire the stock but still let remaining stockholders 100% ownership of the company. 

What you probably meant is, that when Apple buys, let's say 5% of its shares back, then that is 5% less out in the open market. That 5% control of the company is now controlled by Apple Inc. 

If that were the case then buybacks would have no impact on price per share, which they do. It's often argued that's largely the point. 

ETA: Whether they retire ALL the shares they buy back would probably be in an SEC statement somewhere... it's true the shares they award employees have to come from somewhere.

• Reply 44 of 108
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    sog35 wrote: »
    FACT: Tim Cook said he expects iPhone unit sales in Dec quarter to grow YoY.

FACT: iPhone suppliers like Skyworks, Qorvo, and Avago all guided for YoY revenue growth for December quarter.

Now Credit Suisse says iPhone sales are weak based on an unverified report from an unverified supplier.

So who are you going to trust?  Apple and iPhone suppliers who are guiding for YoY iPhone growth or these guys:

<h1 style="border:0px;color:rgb(0,0,0);margin-top:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-right:1em;vertical-align:baseline;width:auto;">Credit Suisse Pleads Guilty, Pays $2.6 Billion To Settle U.S. Tax Evasion Charges</h1>

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2014/05/20/credit-suisse-pleads-guilty-pays-2-6-billion-to-settle-u-s-tax-evasion-charges/

Credit Suisse are the same CLOWNS that said iPhone6 margins would be the worst EVER.

<h1 style="border:0px;color:rgb(51,51,51);margin-bottom:0px;margin-top:0px;padding-bottom:0px;vertical-align:baseline;">iPhones are getting bigger but their profit margins are shrinking</h1>

http://qz.com/263316/iphones-are-getting-bigger-but-their-profit-margins-are-shrinking/

or how about Credit Suzzie giving Apple a $75 price target

[SIZE=20px]Credit Suisse Sees Panic Taking Over in Apple Stock[/SIZE]

http://247wallst.com/consumer-electronics/2013/09/11/credit-suisse-sees-panic-taking-over-in-apple-stock/

Credit Suisse are the same IDIOTS who said Apple staying in the premium phone business only was a MISTAKE:

"In aggregate, we remain [SIZE=20px]disappointed with Apple’s decision to remain a premium priced smartphone vendor[/SIZE], and this continues to competitively expose the company and limits its TAM and growth." Credit Suisse

Dumb idiots wanted Apple to make a cheap iPhone. IDIOTS.

BOTTOM LINE IS CREDIT SUISSE HAS ZERO CREDIBILITY. 

THEY SAID APPLE WAS WORTH $75.
    THEY ARE GUILTY OF TAX EVASION.
    THEY SAID MARGINS ON THE IPHONE 6 WOULD BE HORRIBLE.
    THEY SAID APPLE SHOULD MAKE CHEAP PHONES.
    **** THESE IDIOTS.

FACT: mathafackar in WS manipulate this shit to suppress AAPL. We should stop listening to this crap and ignore all these. My AAPL is a long term investment. I don't give the shit about these rumors anymore.
  • Reply 45 of 108
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    ingela wrote: »
    I know I am holding off the complete 6 cycle. My 5s works great and is too pretty to replace with that ugly dopey looking thing the 6/6s

Looking forward to the 7 or maybe the rumored smaller one that is supposed to ship early next year,
    beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Ugly to someone maybe beautiful to others. In this case, majority of the iPhone owners bought 6ers, so it must be beautiful to them. Bottom line, you are in minority who buy iPhone for the look not functions and performance, so who cares!
  • Reply 46 of 108
    I'd be willing to bet almost anything those quacks at Credit Suisse are short AAPL.
  • Reply 47 of 108
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member
    B.S. They don't know what they are talking about. Lines are still at the Apple stores for iPhones.
    Suppliers change all the time and you cannot base sales on how Apple supplies there parts. So stupid these doom and gloom stories are getting so old and tired. Apple just had a record quarter that didn't even include the new iPhone models yet so imagine with the new models and the other new products that were just released. Like the Apple TV, and the iPad Pro coming out tomorrow for pre-orders.
  • Reply 48 of 108

You are spot on. It's the same analysts every year trading tricks... There are three people out there (Katy Huberty, Chuck Jones and Tim Cook) that are worthwhile listening to when it comes to Apple stock. The rest honestly don't understand Apple's business. Never the less, the scam works every year and thanks for that - otherwise we would never get these kind of entry points.

• Reply 49 of 108
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Love how giddily  Wall Street shaves off tens billions of Apple's market cap whenever some know-nothing, agenda-driven, always wrong entity says something negative, even if it's ridiculous moronic. OMG IT MUST BE TRUE SELL SELL SELL!!!

Meanwhile, when insanely positive, factual news comes from the horse's mouth, they make sure the stock doesn't budge. 

• Reply 50 of 108
    You are spot on. It's the same analysts every year trading tricks... There are three people out there (Katy Huberty, Chuck Jones and Tim Cook) that are worthwhile listening to when it comes to Apple stock. The rest honestly don't understand Apple's business. Never the less, the scam works every year and thanks for that - otherwise we would never get these kind of entry points.

Katy Huberty has a terrible track record. Philip Elmer DeWitt (who writes for Fortune) keeps extensive records of actual analysts and "amateur" predictions. The amateurs beat the pros most of the time.
  • Reply 51 of 108
    slurpy wrote: »
    Meanwhile, when insanely positive, factual news comes from the horse's mouth, they make sure the stock doesn't budge. 

The only upside is the stock is temporarily cheaper for buyers and for Apple's buyback (as long as it continues).
  • Reply 52 of 108
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

Is wall street so fickle that based on unverified report from an unknown analyst, they are bringing this stock down?

Yes. Next question, please.

• Reply 53 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingela View Post

...and hold on to your tidy whities, I said I would hold on to 5s until the 7. If I didn't care about software and malware, I would have jumped on the Note 5 along time ago....

Google has a  huge problem on it's hands with Android that is only going to get worse unless it jumps in there and makes some drastic changes.

First accurate things you have said:

1. The iPhone is a hell of a lot more than a back with stripes or not. It is about the ecosystem - do reputable developers create software for it that can be sold? Security is important to most if not all users users today and the hack-ability of Android is well documented (one might say the parent company actually keeps securing it at a low priority because it supports their business model ;) ).

BTW: The stripes are where the previous narrower grooves on the sides used to be because the are actually antenna for the various radios.

2. Google has more than a single huge problem: Samesong will leave android for their own home grown Tinzen OS. (Granted, I think there will be some of droid rolled into Tinzen) which continues with the chaotic, hot (literally) battery eating devices shipping now. I think Googles biggest problem is letting Samesong run away with a part of the market they will not be able recover.

• Reply 54 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

To the chagrin of their oldest reader-base, AnandTech rated it very favorably. That's to say that people are therefore buying it, but my bet is that Apple breaks holiday records again this year.
    Or you can just read the comments: "720p screen in 2015, worse battery life, no sd slot, no wiress charging, terrible camera and still THE BEST phone huh?"

Uh, retina is the best your eyes are going to see, so going higher than 720p on a small screen is just a waste of memory and processor cycles. Battery life is marginally different on other phones. Alert us when they're going a week or more of active use on a charge. No SD slot??? Are you stuck in 2007? Wireless charging is a nice gimmick, but nothing more. As for photos: http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/25/9397055/best-smartphone-camera-test-iphone-6s-samsung-galaxy-lg (spoiler: no clear winner, so I guess Android phone pictures suck then?) 

Now let's talk about what you missed:

1. No Android phone has a processor that's as good as the A9. 

2. Android security is a nightmare, up to and including storing fingerprints (for those phones that can).

3. Android is highly fragmented, with very few phones using the latest OS.

Buy an Android if you like, but I'd need to be paid handsomely to keep one on me.

• Reply 55 of 108
    delayed wrote: »
    Uh, retina is the best your eyes are going to see, so going higher than 720p on a small screen is just a waste of memory and processor cycles. Battery life is marginally different on other phones. Alert us when they're going a week or more of active use on a charge. No SD slot??? Are you stuck in 2007? Wireless charging is a nice gimmick, but nothing more. As for photos: http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/25/9397055/best-smartphone-camera-test-iphone-6s-samsung-galaxy-lg (spoiler: no clear winner, so I guess Android phone pictures suck then?) 
    2. Android security is a nightmare, up to and including storing fingerprints (for those phones that can).

Buy an Android if you like, but I'd need to be paid handsomely to keep one on me.

That may be the weirdest fucking response I've ever gotten on this site.
  • Reply 56 of 108

Wall Street sees Apple as the iPhone and will not take anything else into consideration. If there is any negative news about the iPhone thats all it takes which is why I got out for now. The Wall Street manipulators will tank the market 1500 points just to keep the Feds from raising interest rates  .25 percent. 

• Reply 57 of 108
    tzeshan wrote: »
    Google has updated Android OS to 6.0 which essentially steal/copy all iOS 9 features.  Cook has decided not pursuing thermonuclear war against the thieves.  This year a lot of Android copycats brought out smartphones which look and perform the same or better than iPhone 6s according to reviews from Forbes, etc.  US carriers has stopped giving discount to new iPhones with two year contract.  The new iPhone is a few hundred dollars more expensive than before.  This will make more people reluctant to upgrade.  I think iPhone sales has hit a wall just like iPad two years ago. 

AppleTV is uninteresting.  What is TV.  TV originates from broadcasters using TV and airwaves as the medium.  The TV networks are already threatened by internet.  How much business can Apple expect from the networks?

AppleCar like Google Glass is just a gimmick.  

riiiight. so much nonsense I'm not even going to address any of it.
  • Reply 58 of 108
    hholbein wrote: »
    Really? How come people are not that interested in a 1000$ unlocked phone once you added some memory and mandatory accessories?

There is only so much you can squeeze out of a pack of lemons. I am keeping my 4S for as long as it's going to last.

good god you've been missing a lot of functionality. oh well.

and what, pray tell, are these "mandatory accessories" that jack up the price of an iPhone?
  • Reply 59 of 108
    delayed wrote: »

he was only pointing out what the whackjobs on AnandTech's site were saying -- spouting specs rather than seeing the forest from the trees. think of it as sarcasm.
  • Reply 60 of 108
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    jfc1138 wrote: »

If that were the case then buybacks would have no impact on price per share, which they do. It's often argued that's largely the point. 

ETA: Whether they retire ALL the shares they buy back would probably be in an SEC statement somewhere... it's true the shares they award employees have to come from somewhere.

Actually they are losing cash as well as retiring shares so prices don't necessarily go up.