iPad Pro predicted to push tablet sales back up to 15% of Apple's total revenue

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Apple doesn't need to hype up the iPad Pro.  There will be massive shortages until Thanksgiving.  Then we will see a massive advertising push.

No sense hyping up a product now and then disappoint people by not having them is stock.  

Why will there be massive shortages? I think it's more important for Apple to get ahead of and change the narrative on this one. Don't let the media define this product. And believe me the media will do whatever it can to take Apple down. Fast Company just published this super long piece on how Apple is ruining design. The Verge just published an editorial about how the iPad Pro can't replace a PC and Apple is making the same mistakes Microsoft made. The best we get from Apple is a bumbling Eddy Cue saying he uses his iPad Pro for email and browsing the web, esentially validating everyone who says iPad running iOS is a toy not for serious work. Sigh.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    Stuck below $130 and investors and Apple employees are losing literally HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS OF DOLLARS.

Its time to take the stock private. PERIOD.

Last week iPhone suppliers like Skyworks gave strong guidance for Q4, hinting that iPhone units will grow. Tim Cook himself said EXPLICITLY that he expects iPhone units to grown in the Dec quarter. The stock barely moved at all.
    This morning Credit Suzie releases a sketchy report that Apple has cut orders by 10% and the stock drops $3 immediately.

Total and utter bullshit.  So the market ignores SEC REGULATED GUIDANCE from a supplier yet believes a supply check from some unknown supplier in China?  This shit has too stop.  And the only way it will is if the company goes private.

Never going to happen PERIOD!

Tim Cook can say all he wants, but its investors who do ongoing consumer insights to see what the consumers are looking to do as far as new product purchases. They also do look at manufacturers supply numbers as inductions of for forecasting the future guidance so they can inform their clients on certain expectations and whether or not to move certain stocks around.

If investors took companies on their words the stock market would collapse. I think you're to invested emotionally when it comes to Apple, which might be unhealthy, and need to realize that Apples growth came with new product segments. But until they can create a new one that blows investors away than you need to just accept the fact that the price will stay in range of around $100-$130.

But I am curious to hear about your plan if you were the CEO to take the company private and still maintaining a majority share of the company...
  • Reply 23 of 39
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

There are a few iPad POS systems out there. 

I've seen them mostly in restaurants. I think some might be better than others. Because whenever I see one I try to ask the person if they like it, the responses are very mixed. Some people really like it and some really don't. Some are indifferent and I've seen that a couple of people didn't even know it's an iPad.

Unless you meant an iPad POS system where everything is made by Apple. In which case I fear you might be waiting for a while.

Do you think the screen size had anything to do with the people not liking them?  I have seen 20+ inch touchscreens being used in places such as library book checkouts, company directories in building lobbies, customer sign-ins at the cable company.  In each case, I tried to imagine replacing those large screens with a 10 inch iPad and just thought how backwards it would look.

Several monitor manufacturers make large multitouch displays for interactive signage and industrial applications. I'm sure many of the companies using those displays would rather run them on Macs instead of depending on Windows. Since these monitors take advantage of the multitouch input support built into Windows, the manufacturers are not going to be bothered to make Mac drivers, nor should they be expected to. Having Apple bring Cocoa Touch API and native hardware support for external multitouch displays to OS X makes more sense than asking them to sell a 40 inch iPad.

• Reply 24 of 39
    rogifan wrote: »
    Here's a headline I just saw on Google News:

IPAD PRO IS FOR THOSE WHO CONSUME CONTENT RATHER THAN CREATE IT, SAYS APPLE VP

And the Verge just put up an editorial claiming that Apple hasn't learned from Microsoft and iPad Pro can't replace a PC. We know this is the narrative out there, what is Apple doing to counter it?

I have to admit I really miss the old days when Jobs would rip lying reporters a new asshole.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    Not possible to take Apple private. Market cap is too high. Stock is down because of Credit Suisse report and because short-term holders are selling now that the ex-dividend date has passed for the Nov dividend payout. Also, due to the stock buyback program, the banks being used for the accelerated share repurchase program are trying to keep the share price down, so they can buy back the shares for less than they sold them to Apple.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Here's a headline I just saw on Google News:

IPAD PRO IS FOR THOSE WHO CONSUME CONTENT RATHER THAN CREATE IT, SAYS APPLE VP

And the Verge just put up an editorial claiming that Apple hasn't learned from Microsoft and iPad Pro can't replace a PC. We know this is the narrative out there, what is Apple doing to counter it?

Apple needs to run a commercial showing more than just pretty pictures of the universe. Apart from the 5 seconds at the end where they show the Pencil used in split screen mode, we mostly just see a bigger iPad and think 'meh'.

The iPad Pro will catch on with professional illustrators, primarily because of the Pencil. Apart from that, it won't catch on with enterprise until Apple demonstrates real world use cases. You'd think they'd have already seeded corporations with iPad Pros early during testing.

• Reply 27 of 39
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why will there be massive shortages? I think it's more important for Apple to get ahead of and change the narrative on this one. Don't let the media define this product. And believe me the media will do whatever it can to take Apple down. Fast Company just published this super long piece on how Apple is ruining design. The Verge just published an editorial about how the iPad Pro can't replace a PC and Apple is making the same mistakes Microsoft made. The best we get from Apple is a bumbling Eddy Cue saying he uses his iPad Pro for email and browsing the web, esentially validating everyone who says iPad running iOS is a toy not for serious work. Sigh.

I swear people are being willfully obtuse regarding Eddy's comment. Everyone knows what he "meant". They're just choosing to interpret it differently so they can go trolling on message boards and Twitter claiming Eddy is a bumbling fool who is ruining the iPad Pro.  He didn't mean that he ONLY uses the iPad Pro for email and web browsing.  He "meant" that while people can use the iPad Pro for email and web browsing, it is also the most revolutionary and intuitive device for creative design work along with the Apple Pencil.  As long as everyone knows what he "meant", who cares what he says in public or how he says it?  All this negativity toward Eddy is just as bad as people ripping on Steve's comment about the stylus.

• Reply 28 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Ludicrous that the stock is down $3 pre-market. Perhaps over a bogus-sounding CS report. Unbelievable....

But I am expecting that it'll be back up to share it started, before the end of the day.

Yeah. You kind of missed the mark on the prediction.

• Reply 29 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Ludicrous that the stock is down $3 pre-market. Perhaps over a bogus-sounding CS report. Unbelievable....

But I am expecting that it'll be back up to share it started, before the end of the day.

Yeah. You kind of missed the mark on the prediction.

Meh.

I'd be the first to tell you that short-term stock predictions are worth the paper they're written on.... I wouldn't have traded on it myself...:D 

• Reply 30 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

There are a few iPad POS systems out there. 

I've seen them mostly in restaurants. I think some might be better than others. Because whenever I see one I try to ask the person if they like it, the responses are very mixed. Some people really like it and some really don't. Some are indifferent and I've seen that a couple of people didn't even know it's an iPad.

Unless you meant an iPad POS system where everything is made by Apple. In which case I fear you might be waiting for a while.

Do you think the screen size had anything to do with the people not liking them?  I have seen 20+ inch touchscreens being used in places such as library book checkouts, company directories in building lobbies, customer sign-ins at the cable company.  In each case, I tried to imagine replacing those large screens with a 10 inch iPad and just thought how backwards it would look.

Several monitor manufacturers make large multitouch displays for interactive signage and industrial applications. I'm sure many of the companies using those displays would rather run them on Macs instead of depending on Windows. Since these monitors take advantage of the multitouch input support built into Windows, the manufacturers are not going to be bothered to make Mac drivers, nor should they be expected to. Having Apple bring Cocoa Touch API and native hardware support for external multitouch displays to OS X makes more sense than asking them to sell a 40 inch iPad.

That is a really great question.

It never occurred to me, but now that you mention it the iPad is fairly small compared to other typical POS solutions.

I feel like kind of a dummy not thinking of that. But I have an excuse! The places I have seen them are mostly small mom and pop restaurants and if there isn't a line behind me, the person taking my order is making my order or has other things to do. So I feel like I only have time to ask about one or two questions.

Well worth thinking about. Might be yet another use case for a basic iPad Pro just to get the extra real estate for POS solutions.

• Reply 31 of 39
    haggar wrote: »
    I swear people are being willfully obtuse regarding Eddy's comment. Everyone knows what he "meant". They're just choosing to interpret it differently so they can go trolling on message boards and Twitter claiming Eddy is a bumbling fool who is ruining the iPad Pro.  He didn't mean that he ONLY uses the iPad Pro for email and web browsing.  He "meant" that while people can use the iPad Pro for email and web browsing, it is also the most revolutionary and intuitive device for creative design work along with the Apple Pencil.  As long as everyone knows what he "meant", who cares what he says in public or how he says it?  All this negativity toward Eddy is just as bad as people ripping on Steve's comment about the stylus.

No sorry. We don't need Apple executives to tell us that iPad Pro is also good for consuming. That's a big fat DUH. We need them to bang it over people's heads why it's MORE than just a consumption device because the narrative is its just a bigger iPad. And it doesn't have an exposed file system, can't run "full" Office or Photoshop so it isn't for professionals. Don't assume that people get it. Sometimes you have to teach and explain. Sometimes over and over and over.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    satchmo wrote: »

Apple needs to run a commercial showing more than just pretty pictures of the universe. Apart from the 5 seconds at the end where they show the Pencil used in split screen mode, we mostly just see a bigger iPad and think 'meh'.

The iPad Pro will catch on with professional illustrators, primarily because of the Pencil. Apart from that, it won't catch on with enterprise until Apple demonstrates real world use cases. You'd think they'd have already seeded corporations with iPad Pros early during testing.

Yes, yes and yes. I've said it before and I'll say it again (and I'm not the only one): right now Apple is good at telling us the what (Schiller) and the how (Ive) but the why is missing. Give us the reason why this exists (other than iPad sales have been declining and Apple had to do something to try and stop the decline).
  • Reply 33 of 39
    Well, I like the new machine. And the machine will be replacing the Dell Latitude I use for work.

The capabilities of the iPad Pro should substantially exceed the newest MacBook with the Core M processor. And who cares about the "full" office. Apple's software suite of Pages, Keynote and Numbers has been excellent.

The wealth of applications exceeds OS X by a considerable margin and multitasking on the larger screen with a full sized keyboard should be quite nice. The battery life is stellar and should be in line with the other iPads giving at least a bonafide 8 hours, not the horribly optimistic and overinflated battery life specifications of a laptop.

I like the new pro iPad. I will be purchasing one fairly shortly.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    Get the fuc out of here.

Tell me the last time Apple missed their own guidance.

Doesn't matter if they make their guidance or not... Companies beat estimates all the time but the stock price still falls...

Investors know that Apple is heavily dependent on the iPhone to generate revenue so they have to remain cautious about over pricing the stock in the event that Apple sees a decline in iPhone sales... Pull your head out of Apple and Tim Cooks ass and realize that he will say anything to keep the Market happy... Like a politician he isn't going to tell you the honest truth about what is going on in with day to day operations...
  • Reply 35 of 39
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The picture of the guy hunched over an iPad drawing a technical diagram is a bit non-typical, in most businesses people sit at cubicles with a terminal. But if you showed a picture of someone at their desk with a tablet propped up and a foldaway keyboard in front of it it would look suboptimal, and would visually demonstrate why the iPad taking the business world by storm is unlikely.

What you had described was was past and the iPad represents the future of computing.

• Reply 36 of 39
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by OMGOMG1 View Post

Doesn't matter if they make their guidance or not... Companies beat estimates all the time but the stock price still falls...

Investors know that Apple is heavily dependent on the iPhone to generate revenue so they have to remain cautious about over pricing the stock in the event that Apple sees a decline in iPhone sales... Pull your head out of Apple and Tim Cooks ass and realize that he will say anything to keep the Market happy... Like a politician he isn't going to tell you the honest truth about what is going on in with day to day operations...

Kind of strange you didn't say the same thing about google which depend 90% of the revenue on anything but advertising and dreams.

Perhaps google investors still have their heads in their where the sun don't shine.

• Reply 37 of 39
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

What you had described was was past and the iPad represents the future of computing.

Well, anyone can say anything is the future. The data shows Macbook sales increasing and iPad sales decreasing. 

Companies will buy a product if they think it will be a productivity improvement for their workers, but will a touch screen offer a productivity improvement over a mouse for business apps? I doubt it. With a mouse on sensitive settings you can zip all over the screen tapping quickly and accurately with a flick of the wrist, to use a touch screen you must move your whole arm which is slower. 

One advantage of the touch screen is that it lets you draw on it with a stylus, but presumably artistic types already have dedicated drawing tablets (e.g. Wacom), and ones where their hand doesn't get in the way of seeing their work, because it is on a big separate monitor. Look at the way the guy is holding the stylus in the above picture, he wouldn't really draw with his palm facing him like that, they are just trying to hide the fact, for the photo, that your arm is going to block the screen.

One proven way to increase worker productivity is to give them a bigger screen, but the iPad (even the iPad Pro) is smaller than most computers. Another way to improve worker productivity is for them to make macros or scripts for common tasks that they do, but unlike Windows or OS X, iOS has no system wide scripting language. And one of the best things about Apple, their stylish designs, business doesn't care about that.

This big tablet would be great for education though. All of that screen real estate to grab the kid's attention, and you can interact directly with it. That is how they should be pushing it, "New from Apple: The future of the school house."

• Reply 38 of 39
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Well, anyone can say anything is the future. The data shows Macbook sales increasing and iPad sales decreasing. 

Companies will buy a product if they think it will be a productivity improvement for their workers, but will a touch screen offer a productivity improvement over a mouse for business apps? I doubt it. With a mouse on sensitive settings you can zip all over the screen tapping quickly and accurately with a flick of the wrist, to use a touch screen you must move your whole arm which is slower. 

One advantage of the touch screen is that it lets you draw on it with a stylus, but presumably artistic types already have dedicated drawing tablets (e.g. Wacom), and ones where their hand doesn't get in the way of seeing their work, because it is on a big separate monitor. Look at the way the guy is holding the stylus in the above picture, he wouldn't really draw with his palm facing him like that, they are just trying to hide the fact, for the photo, that your arm is going to block the screen.

One proven way to increase worker productivity is to give them a bigger screen, but the iPad (even the iPad Pro) is smaller than most computers. Another way to improve worker productivity is for them to make macros or scripts for common tasks that they do, but unlike Windows or OS X, iOS has no system wide scripting language. And one of the best things about Apple, their stylish designs, business doesn't care about that.

This big tablet would be great for education though. All of that screen real estate to grab the kid's attention, and you can interact directly with it. That is how they should be pushing it, "New from Apple: The future of the school house."

I understand and agree with most of what you are saying.  My only contention is that the thinking regarding productivity is only looking at a subset of the "Fortune 500 enterprise workers", and is also looking at how the work is accomplished in the paradigm from the last 20 years.  While there are a few workers who script/macro within applications, my experience is that is a very small subset in a large organization.  Also, while those of us old(er) timers do think of office work as a person sitting at a desk for most of the day, typing & mousing away to accomplish our tasks, nothing says that this is the best way to do it for the next generation.  Do people in sales, marketing, management, logistics, etc, need to spend time this way?  Or are approaches like group collaboration, updating centralized web services (via apps) in real-time, viewing reports, getting rid of email vs. something like Slack, etc - going to transform those areas?  

I don't know if this is what will happen, but certainly new technology and cultures may redefine the nature of work in many enterprises, where an iPad (like) device is more useful for many vs. the traditional PC.  Clearly there are jobs which would remain PC centric for some-time (s/w development, finance, document creation, etc).