Tim Cook says businesses should tackle climate change & equal rights proactively, not wait for gover

Comments

• Reply 41 of 227

I'm starting to wonder if Tim Cook has a two day work week at Apple. He's like the liberal nut job version of Donald Trump. Trump is going to get Mexico to pay for a wall along the boarder and I assume Cook is going to get China and India to buy into global warming. Hopefully Tim will get the first self driving electric Apple car. 

Can someone volunteer to program 1Infinite Loop into the GPS so they guy can actually find his way to work. 

• Reply 42 of 227
    Quote:

Originally Posted by latifbp View Post

The Sacramento area is not desert bonehead. Drought is there too buddy

California's drought problem is man made, not "climate change" made.  The climate in CA is about the same as it's been for the past 200 years.  All the libtards in CA failed to develop and expand adequate water supply infrastructure for the ever-increasing population there.

• Reply 43 of 227
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

One of these days, would be nice to enter a thread and find out that you haven't completely shat on it, and sucked out every ounce of intelligence and intellectualism out of it. How petty must one be, to believe the whole area of climate change boils down to "Al Gore"? I can't even imagine the small-mindedness, intellectual dishonesty, and pettiness that one must resort to in order to make such an asinine claim. 

Why don't you just do us all a favor and stop buying Apple products, since you obviously despise almost everything the company stands for? Stop threatening to do it, just do it. Trust me, no one will care. Why not spend your time on right-wing blogs, where people will celebrate your stupidity, and since you believe Tim Cook is "evil", "corrupt", or a moron for believing in Climate change? Your extremist mentality is frankly nauseating. 

Looks like you're the one doing all the shatting.

Pretty typical of AGWers to scream and holler, but have very little substance to their arguments.  Pretty much like all the pro-AGW comments in this thread.

What's astonishing to me is that this is a computer forum that, I would imagine, has plenty of engineering types viewing and commenting on it.  But you guys should all know that computer models are not the scientific method.  They may help solve problems and they are useful for modeling (I use them in my particular line of work), but they are not science.  And yet, that's all the Believers have: a bunch of crap computer models, with which they've been able to convince governments the world over that AGW is a real problem.  And of course the results of those models keep the money flowing.

• Reply 44 of 227
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The problem with this or of thinking is that the climate changes and has changed dramatically even without the aid of man. Nobody is seriously denying the the climate changes, what is at issue here is mans contribution to that climate change and the proper way to address that contribution. For example wasting massive amounts of land mass, for solar panel collection of electrical energy, is absolute stupidity.

Agreed, the planet goes in and out of ice ages all the time, in fact it has spent more time in a glacial state than the comfy one we're in now. Current climate change is not unusual, it's the norm, it's the speed at which it's happening that is dramatically different. And all other factors considered, man's presence, specifically the massive increase in population and especially the industrialization necessary to support this growth is a likely suspect, albeit still admittedly arguable.

I don't want to speak for Tim, but I think the point he was trying to make definitely resonates with my belief, insofar that the cause does not have to be conclusive to start doing something about it. All other ice ages don't matter and no species that we know of were there with the means to do anything about it, but we actually might be able to, whether we were the cause of it or not.

Edit: Sorry, forgot about this before submitting :

Solar energy is a valid stopgap measure for now to replace fossil fuels until the next technology comes online, but pursuing this long term is indeed stupid. They're only around 18% efficient now, even though some new technologies will get a bit more, it's still not viable in the long run, there are better alternatives.

• Reply 45 of 227
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryJW View Post

The dice is now loaded for the normalization of extreme weather events. Apple and its customers will not be the only victim.

Here's your non-problem: http://wattsupwiththat.com/reference-pages/climatic-phenomena-pages/extreme-weather-page/

• Reply 46 of 227
    C
    mytdave wrote: »

California's drought problem is man made, not "climate change" made.  The climate in CA is about the same as it's been for the past 200 years.  All the libtards in CA failed to develop and expand adequate water supply infrastructure for the ever-increasing population there.
    Climate change is man made. There are a number of extenuating factors, one being what you referenced. Having lived in California most of my life I can tell you that it's concerning when the smog is so thick you can't see downtown from just a couple of miles away.
  • Reply 47 of 227
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthur123 View Post

So what melted the 2 mile thick (10,000 plus feet) glaciers covering half of North America just 18,000 years ago?

Methane gas from dinosaur dung. 

• Reply 48 of 227
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

As for California, come on, anybody with a bit of education knows the most of California is naturally a desert. Saying that there is a drought in the desert is well less that impressive display of intelligence.

This is totally BS, simply because we would have already have seen such event if there was a real increase in thermal energy going into the oceans. Even after the media tries to blow the size of of this seasons storms out of proportion to reality, the actual impacts of the storms indicates far less intensity that was alluded to. In other words we are seining bold faced lies hit with the hard reality of truth.

The drought in California has nothing to do with global warming. What's happening is weather patterns in California are returning to their historic norms. The 20th century in California was the wettest in over a thousand years. Like you said, historically, much of California was a desert. This state has never had enough of a water supply to support the booming population here. As the ground water gets sucked dry, it's going to be impossible to replenish. Some of the water being used now has been sitting underground for thousands of years. It's only going to continue to get much worse here and there is nothing anyone can do to stop it. 

• Reply 49 of 227
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Fotoformat View Post

I was thinking perhaps bison farts! Must have been millions of them roamin' around pre-Colombus times!

Nope... they have nothing on Termites!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/could-termites-be-the-worlds-terminators-a-humble-forest-insect-may-be-emitting-dangerous-amounts-of-1394135.html

• Reply 50 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by latifbp View Post

C

Climate change is man made. There are a number of extenuating factors, one being what you referenced. Having lived in California most of my life I can tell you that it's concerning when the smog is so thick you can't see downtown from just a couple of miles away.

The climate change in California is not man made. The climate in California has been reverting back to its historic norms. Over the last 100 years, California was the wettest ever. Now, the climate is reverting back to the way it's always been, which is not much rain. The only thing man has done is sucked the state dry of its limited water resources. 

• Reply 51 of 227
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

It's ridiculous the stupid liberals didn't do anything during the wet years we've had here. All they cared about was saving the Delta smelt. 

• Reply 52 of 227
    boltsfan17 wrote: »
    The climate change in California is not man made. The climate in California has been reverting back to its historic norms. Over the last 100 years, California was the wettest ever. Now, the climate is reverting back to the way it's always been, which is not much rain. The only thing man has done is sucked the state dry of its limited water resources. 
    I suppose somehow California was the one vast array of land that was excluded from climate change, huh?
  • Reply 53 of 227
    boltsfan17 wrote: »
    It's ridiculous the stupid liberals didn't do anything during the wet years we've had here. All they cared about was saving the Delta smelt. 
    I agree it's ridiculous nothing has been done. But even when you had a Republican governor, I agree it's ridiculous nothing is been done. But even when you had a Republican governor, Arnold, not enough got done on this either.
  • Reply 54 of 227
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

The biggest scam in history. 

I don't know one way or another regarding the climate/temperature/global warming/end of the world/... issues that are being debated in such an illogical way. The whole topic has been co-opted by interest groups and now companies such as Apple. It is almost impossible to obtain unbiased information on the topic from scientists since there is so much noise being generated on all sides of the issue. What we need is to tone down the debate, start listening to the scientists who study this and not the Gore's nor the Apple's of the world. There appears to be an issue with CO2 density as well as problems with the ozone layer not related to that. The suggestion to go carbon free is absurd as is the tendency to cover the land with these giant concrete windmills and solar farms. We need some real scientific advances to tackle the problems. This won't come about by destroying the economy with wishful thoughts of quaint windmills and solar panels.

In any case, I think Mr. Cook should be replaced. His use of the CEO position of Apple to pursue social changes seems to me not what a CEO should be doing. We have political processes for that. Of course it is up to the shareholders to deal with the issue of what the CEO should be up to. He's fortunate Apple is riding an in time with the iPhone. If that were to change I doubt he'd be in quite the same position to be circumventing the political process.

As far as I can tell, and I am no expert, is the only way to generate enough power for our society is nuclear, hydro, natural gas, oil, coal. They all have issues. Hydro usually involves destroying a lot the natural geography for dam construction, nuclear has a storage problem, carbon based fuels emit CO2 and apparently we don't have enough trees or processes to balance that.

• Reply 55 of 227
    latifbp wrote: »
    C

Smog is not evidence of "climate change", it's just a pollutant. "Climate change" is a theory supported by politicians and businesses which would benefit from passing onorous restrictions on pollution which the vast majority of the world's population would ignore. It's a byproduct of the "idle rich" and political meddlers.
  • Reply 56 of 227
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTac View Post

Countries raise their standards of living through the use of affordable and available energy. The pwoer hungry seeking control wish to keep people poor, ill and hungry.

Yep. People don't realize just how close we are to eliminating true poverty in the world. Do countries have a long way to go? Of course, but they'll get there if they're allowed to. Fossil fuels are a huge part of that elimination of poverty.

I haven't decided if Cook is misguided or corrupt/evil, I hope it's the former. People like Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, and Bob Iger are definitely the latter.

At least Bill Gates is pushing for breeder reactors.

People love to hate on Gates but I think he has done more good than bad in his time one the planet.

• Reply 57 of 227
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

We don't want to debate it...because we'd lose and we know it.

The world has much greater problems to face than Al Gore's latest money making scheme.

Heh heh. You (and the four people who added to your reputation in relation to this post) are just going to have to suck it up, I guess.

Cognitive dissonance can be such a b****.

• Reply 58 of 227
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Smog is not evidence of "climate change", it's just a pollutant. "Climate change" is a theory supported by politicians and businesses which would benefit from passing onorous restrictions on pollution which the vast majority of the world's population would ignore. It's a byproduct of the "idle rich" and political meddlers.

1) Ah, unfortunately, fairly substantial evidence seems to back up this "theory" you cite.

2) Corporations would "benefit from passing onerous restrictions on pollution"? Really? How?

3) Who (and please don't name Al Giore, it's become so tiresome) are the "idle rich and political meddlers" to whom you refer?

• Reply 59 of 227
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Cognitive dissonance can be such a b****.

I’m not sure if that’s ironic or just sad.

• Reply 60 of 227
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Without China or India making massive reductions in their output of pollutants (and they won't do this until they have a very large upper class and middle-class with significant political influence), Tim is merely engaging in a game of one upmanship with other Valley companies.

I'm guessing Tim has gotten used to the idea that he can make a difference because of his influential position at Apple and I bet he enters politics at some point in the not too distant future. Honestly, if this is what he'd rather spend his time on I wish he'd hand the reigns over to someone with 100% focus on Apple.

Hopefully Scott Forstall.