Google bringing expanded offline maps, navigation to iOS

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2015
iPhone owners will soon be able to get the same convenient offline access to maps, navigation information, and point-of-interest data promised to Android users in a future Google Maps update, the search firm said Tuesday.

Users will be able to pre-load specific areas, from an individual city to an entire country. Google Maps will automatically turn to this cache when the internet connection is poor or non-existent, and switch back to live maps when a connection returns.

Point-of-interest search and routing will work entirely offline, Google said, though the former is likely to come with some restrictions. Currently, users can cache specific areas of a map for offline viewing, but interaction is limited without access to mobile data.

No specific timetable has been given for the iOS release, with Google promising only that the rollout is "coming soon."

Google Maps continues to be one of the most popular apps on iOS, consistently ranking near the top ten free apps despite heavy competition. Apple's own mapping service still seems to be climbing out from the hole dug early on by its poor debut, a showing that cost then-iOS chief Scott Forstall his job.

AOL's MapQuest and Nokia's HERE Maps have also siphoned users away, while many urban users have also turned to transit-focused rivals like Citymapper.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    thats nice to know. however, too little to late for me. I have moved on.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    snova wrote: »
    thats nice to know. however, too little to late for me. I have moved on.

Moved on to what exactly? Google maps is by far the best solution out there imho.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    Apple's lack of offline maps has been an issue for me on many occasions...
  • Reply 4 of 32

Today I used the new Apple Maps transit feature -- for the NY City subway system.  Worked perfectly and even displayed exit info on Apple Watch.  I know some people harbor distrust of Apple Maps, but for me it's reliable and improving all the time.  It has become my primary GPS tool; my standalone Garmin GPS unit has found a new home in the trunk of my car.  (It's lonely back there...)

Having said that, I'm glad that Google keeps improving Google Maps.  This continues to place pressure on Apple to keep up (or get ahead).

• Reply 5 of 32

I resorted to using Google Maps when bicycling because Apple Maps keeps-on switching me from Walk to Drive every time I hit 10mph, really annoying.

• Reply 6 of 32
    Yawn. I have given up on Google entirely. While the offline function would have new nice, I already purchased the Galileo offline map app. 3.99 is a small price to pay for privacy while saving my bandwidth from Google maps constant updating of my location to their mothership in Mtn. View.

Nice try Google, but no thanks.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beluga View Post

Moved on to what exactly? Google maps is by far the best solution out there imho.

Best solution? Bullsh*t.

Apple Map is the best.  HERE Maps for offline if you ever need it.

Keep Google software off of your iOS device at all cost.

Use the web to access Search & YouTube ignore the rest.

BTW, I have been comparing Bing search results to Google search and Bing has been better lately.

Try it for yourself.  Bing search results are excellent and better organized with a nicer presentation. 

• Reply 8 of 32

Keep Google software off of your iOS device at all cost.
    Use the web to access Search & YouTube ignore the rest.

I couldn't agree more. All of my devices/computers are Google free zones.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blazar View Post

Apple's lack of offline maps has been an issue for me on many occasions...

Get the HERE maps app for iOS and enjoy offline maps - which is how navigation systems should work.

• Reply 10 of 32
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:

No. TomTom USA downloads all maps in the USA to the iOS device, needs no data connection, works incredibly well on iPhone or cellular iPad, has great 3D images, is my favorite iOS app, and is on sale 1/2 price right now.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tomtom-u-s-a/id343289842?mt=8#

• Reply 11 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Kinda mean picking that particular picture...They made that woman look like she is about to hurl. 

• Reply 12 of 32
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

I wouldn't say it's the best, but it's far more accurate with traffic information, and much more current on street addresses, conditions, and businesses. I default to Apple Maps, but I always double check addresses and businesses on Google, and Google is my default traffic overview.

If Apple is really going to offer an autonomous car, they will naturally have to surpass Google for maps. But for now, there's still al to of work to do ... 

• Reply 13 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Best solution? Bullsh*t.

Apple Map is the best. 

Maybe if you used Google Maps you'd realize how bad Apple Maps is. Apple Maps is made by people who obviously live in San Francisco or Austin and QA based on those areas.

POIs suck bad. Recently they _added_ in a school which has been closed for 10 years.

A housing development of maybe 10 blocks has been around for 4 years. Totally missing.

After one year, this Wal-Mart is STILL missing.

Address normalization is totally broken. There's a major roadway called A B C Blvd. It intersects a completely different B C Rd. All of the POIs are totally messed up between the two. Sometimes they show up twice, sometimes they show up on the wrong one.

It fails when it comes to non-regular maze interchanges. One area, you have to get in one of three lanes for 3 possible directions. Then they basically peel off one at a time. Where Google can tell you to "keep right then keep left", it just stays quiet, because the middle direction is not an "exit".

Maybe Apple should have some QA outside the West, where the roads are not new and regular. Apple fails because it's not a computer. It's frustrating when an app crashes. It's 100x more frustrating when it sends you to the wrong place and it takes 10 minutes to figure out where you need to go.

• Reply 14 of 32
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Users will be able to pre-load specific areas, from an individual city to an entire country. Google Maps will automatically turn to this cache when the internet connection is poor or non-existent, and switch back to live maps when a connection returns.

AOL's MapQuest and Nokia's HERE Maps have also siphoned users away, while many urban users have also turned to transit-focused rivals like Citymapper.

I noticed 4 years ago that Google Maps saved some recently accessed Map info in it's cache. Just tried that with iOS8 and it still does save some recent map info.

Also I've been taking screen shots of the map area I've been traveling in on trips.

Re Apple vs Google Maps I use both and find Apple Maps better in large urban areas, Google better in the country areas, but both have errors on occasion so be careful !

I use Google Maps for it's street view, which I find very valuable on trips.

Thx for the suggestions here of other Map programs, I'll try them out.

But no iPhone Map App will take the place of my great portable Magellan car GPS unit when driving.

It even alerts me when I'm over the speed limits.

The Magellan is also my backup camera.

• Reply 15 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

Maybe if you used Google Maps you'd realize how bad Apple Maps is. Apple Maps is made by people who obviously live in San Francisco or Austin and QA based on those areas.

Oh please...  Save that for someone else.  I have tried Google Map.  It has a clunky UI.

I use Apple Map every day. Mostly in NY, NJ & CT and also FL.  It's simply awesome.

The new transit maps blow everything else away not to mention the UI, presentation, rotatable 3D FlyOver and overall architecture of Apple Map.

• Reply 16 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Best solution? Bullsh*t.

Apple Map is the best. 

POIs suck bad. Recently they _added_ in a school which has been closed for 10 years.

A housing development of maybe 10 blocks has been around for 4 years. Totally missing.

After one year, this Wal-Mart is STILL missing.

Address normalization is totally broken. There's a major roadway called A B C Blvd. It intersects a completely different B C Rd. All of the POIs are totally messed up between the two. Sometimes they show up twice, sometimes they show up on the wrong one.

It fails when it comes to non-regular maze interchanges. One area, you have to get in one of three lanes for 3 possible directions. Then they basically peel off one at a time. Where Google can tell you to "keep right then keep left", it just stays quiet, because the middle direction is not an "exit".

Maybe Apple should have some QA outside the West, where the roads are not new and regular. Apple fails because it's not a computer. It's frustrating when an app crashes. It's 100x more frustrating when it sends you to the wrong place and it takes 10 minutes to figure out where you need to go.

I've had Google Maps take me to the wrong location too,

even up dead end roads on the wrong side of a restricted access highway.

I've seen warnings at hotels on the I5 in Wa state, saying "don't use Google to find us!".

• Reply 17 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

If Apple is really going to offer an autonomous car, they will naturally have to surpass Google for maps. But for now, there's still al to of work to do ... 

Self driving cars are currently a dangerous joke.  I hope I never have to drive near them on city roads.

Maybe on major highways they will by passable.

There is so much they can't do, maybe never!  Like navigate confusing lane markings at intersections or over snow.    :no:

What we need right now is anti collision devices on all new cars. Like front end collision warnings with brake assist.

• Reply 18 of 32
    josha wrote: »
    Self driving cars are currently a dangerous joke.  I hope I never have to drive near them on city roads.
    Maybe on major highways they will by passable.
    There is so much they can't do, maybe never!  Like navigate confusing lane markings at intersections or over snow.    :no:

What we need right now is anti collision devices on all new cars. Like front end collision warnings with brake assist.

Totally agree. But there is a huge market for them in the retired population. Many would rather spend their life savings on a self driving car than give up their license and the associated loss of independence.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    With that kind of a desperate market, the automobile manufacturers along with others like Apple and Google as cash rich companies are going to want to profit off of it.

As all lawmakers can be bought for a price, "self driving" or perhaps the better term would be "self crashing" cars are going to be part of our future.
  • Reply 20 of 32

if you believe that then you are not using the product.  I love Apple but their map sucks compared to Google maps.  Sorry but the facts are facts