Apple shares dive on rumors of weak iPhone 6s demand

Comments

• Reply 61 of 108
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    jfc1138 wrote: »

If that were the case then buybacks would have no impact on price per share, which they do. It's often argued that's largely the point. 

ETA: Whether they retire ALL the shares they buy back would probably be in an SEC statement somewhere...
    And that's what they've reported in those SEC filings. All the shares are retired.
  • Reply 62 of 108
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Just bought 400 more shares.

I bought 300 shares and 800 call options today!
  • Reply 63 of 108

IPhone 6S 128 GB no sim (849) + AppleCare (129) + Case (45) = 1023$ + taxes.  I'm not even mentioning an extra chargers and a few cables for 19.99.  Or beats headphones for 300, or lightning dock for 50$.....  You get the idea.

With the certainty that something will go wrong with that phone in the next 3 years, AppleCare would make sense.  Battery, antenna, processor you name it.  Pretty much every iPhone since 2006 has suffered some kind of deceiving news.  

And BTW, even barebones, at 850$ + taxes this is definitively a luxury item to show off.  Not in any shape or form a rational tool that a smart phone should be.

PS: I've been using exclusively Apple computers since the Apple II+ although I must admit I feel less and less in tune with that company's strategy of late.

• Reply 64 of 108
    jonljonl Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Katy has been a bull on Apple since late 2012.  She's been right at least for Apple the last 3 years.

To be fair, that means she was painfully wrong from late 2012 to summer 2013, which ISTR is when AAPL found its bottom in the 380's, down from 700, and it was a long, hard slog back.

• Reply 65 of 108
    thedba wrote: »

Well this plays right into Apple's plans and their stock buy back. A few more years of BS like this and who knows. Apple Inc. may be majority share holder of AAPL.

Uhhhhhhh.....no....

Do you really imagine that Apple is somehow amassing shares in itself that it has purchased with the money that essentially belongs to its existing shareholders?

That's not the way it works when companies do share repurchases. The shares that Apple is repurchasing are cancelled once they have been repurchased. This lowers the number of outstanding shares and has the effect of making each remaining outstanding share worth a little bit more. This should raise the stock price. In some cases they could also use some of the repurchased shares for employee compensation, bonuses, etc... But they absolutely do not have a vault somewhere in which they are amassing shares that could one day make them the majority shareholder in themselves.
  • Reply 66 of 108
    To the buyer of 300 shares and 800 call options...

Do you mean 800 call options controlling 80,000 shares or 8 call options controlling 800 shares?

BT W this analyst call may be intended to max pain the option market at 115 by Friday. If you're an option trader you'll know what I mean.
  • Reply 67 of 108
    applecider wrote: »
    To the buyer of 300 shares and 800 call options...

Do you mean 800 call options controlling 80,000 shares or 8 call options controlling 800 shares?

BT W this analyst call may be intended to max pain the option market at 115 by Friday. If you're an option trader you'll know what I mean.

You're mixing up a call option with a contract. I bought 8 contracts. Each contract controls 100 individual options - therefore 800 options... My strike price is $110 and I paid just under $10,000US for the 8 contracts. They expire in April.
  • Reply 68 of 108
    FACT: Tim Cook said he expects iPhone unit sales in Dec quarter to grow YoY.

FACT: iPhone suppliers like Skyworks, Qorvo, and Avago all guided for YoY revenue growth for December quarter.
    BOTTOM LINE IS CREDIT SUISSE HAS ZERO CREDIBILITY. 

THEY SAID APPLE WAS WORTH $75.
    THEY ARE GUILTY OF TAX EVASION.
    THEY SAID MARGINS ON THE IPHONE 6 WOULD BE HORRIBLE.
    THEY SAID APPLE SHOULD MAKE CHEAP PHONES.
    **** THESE IDIOTS.

Awesome rant!! Adding credit Suisse to the BBC as another company that has developed an irrational hatred of Apple. I think it's because they were forced to have an android phone while at college by their parents and they have never recovered from the mental trauma. Technologically abused as children and so they have now lost any ability to be rational or consider the evidence.....or they could just be @holes
  • Reply 69 of 108
    jonljonl Posts: 210member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Katy has been a bull on Apple since late 2012.  She's been right at least for Apple the last 3 years.

Originally Posted by jonl View Post

To be fair, that means she was painfully wrong from late 2012 to summer 2013, which ISTR is when AAPL found its bottom in the 380's, down from 700, and it was a long, hard slog back.

no she wasn't wrong.  Just because the stock dipped for 6 months does not mean she was wrong.

She was and still is a long term bull.

Buying AAPL in late 2012 meant waiting two years for it to revisit its high, during which time it lost 45% of its value, and to this day it is less than 20% above its 2012 high, excluding dividends. It has not been a particularly good long term investment over the timeframe you delineated.

• Reply 70 of 108
    jonl wrote: »
    Quote:

Buying AAPL in late 2012 meant waiting two years for it to revisit its high, during which time it lost 45% of its value, and to this day it is less than 20% above its 2012 high, excluding dividends. It has not been a particularly good long term investment over the timeframe you delineated.
    A 20% ROI over 2 years is something most investors would be quite happy with...! Anything over 8% is quite good.
  • Reply 71 of 108
    Could today's sell off have been at least partially influenced by yesterday being the ex-dividend date? People who wanted to cash in some of their AAPL shares may have held off until after yesterday's close so that they would get the dividend and then had their sell orders in for today....
  • Reply 72 of 108
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    FACT: Tim Cook said he expects iPhone unit sales in Dec quarter to grow YoY.

FACT: iPhone suppliers like Skyworks, Qorvo, and Avago all guided for YoY revenue growth for December quarter.

Now Credit Suisse says iPhone sales are weak based on an unverified report from an unverified supplier.

So who are you going to trust?  Apple and iPhone suppliers who are guiding for YoY iPhone growth or these guys:

<h1 style="border:0px;color:rgb(0,0,0);margin-top:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-right:1em;vertical-align:baseline;width:auto;">Credit Suisse Pleads Guilty, Pays $2.6 Billion To Settle U.S. Tax Evasion Charges</h1>

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2014/05/20/credit-suisse-pleads-guilty-pays-2-6-billion-to-settle-u-s-tax-evasion-charges/

Credit Suisse are the same CLOWNS that said iPhone6 margins would be the worst EVER.

<h1 style="border:0px;color:rgb(51,51,51);margin-bottom:0px;margin-top:0px;padding-bottom:0px;vertical-align:baseline;">iPhones are getting bigger but their profit margins are shrinking</h1>

http://qz.com/263316/iphones-are-getting-bigger-but-their-profit-margins-are-shrinking/

or how about Credit Suzzie giving Apple a $75 price target

[SIZE=20px]Credit Suisse Sees Panic Taking Over in Apple Stock[/SIZE]

http://247wallst.com/consumer-electronics/2013/09/11/credit-suisse-sees-panic-taking-over-in-apple-stock/

Credit Suisse are the same IDIOTS who said Apple staying in the premium phone business only was a MISTAKE:

"In aggregate, we remain [SIZE=20px]disappointed with Apple’s decision to remain a premium priced smartphone vendor[/SIZE], and this continues to competitively expose the company and limits its TAM and growth." Credit Suisse

Dumb idiots wanted Apple to make a cheap iPhone. IDIOTS.

BOTTOM LINE IS CREDIT SUISSE HAS ZERO CREDIBILITY. 

THEY SAID APPLE WAS WORTH $75.
    THEY ARE GUILTY OF TAX EVASION.
    THEY SAID MARGINS ON THE IPHONE 6 WOULD BE HORRIBLE.
    THEY SAID APPLE SHOULD MAKE CHEAP PHONES.
    **** THESE IDIOTS.

They probably dumped a load of Apple stock, released this speculation and then bought back in at the lower price.
  • Reply 73 of 108
    rp2011rp2011 Posts: 159member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingela View Post

...and hold on to your tidy whities, I said I would hold on to 5s until the 7. If I didn't care about software and malware, I would have jumped on the Note 5 along time ago. But with the malware mess that is Android, I can only see more and more people abndon ship for the iPhone regardless how nice the newest  Android device is.

Google has a  huge problem on it's hands with Android that is only going to get worse unless it jumps in there and makes some drastic changes.

lol, Ingela was banned for not liking the iPhone 6. 

Yes, don't upset the religious Apple cult or get panties in a bunch or risk being banned. So long Ingela!

• Reply 74 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingela View Post

There was a lot of pent up demand for a larger iPhone. I don;t think anyone ever described the look of the iPhone 6 as beautiful. Or at least not like the previous ones. The knee-jerk reaction to the 5s was always to describe it as sexy. 

As far as the design of the 6s vs the Galaxy Note 5, I am not a fan of Samsung design but I would bet if you asked 100 designers to tell you which was physically nicer the Note 5 would easily come out on top.

I was shopping at Target a few weeks ago and they had the older iPhone 6 and 6plus on sale for 1 penny, I was about to jump on that deal even though I hate the design fo the 6 but the Verizon models for a penny were sold out and they only had the at&t ones left. So they were discounting the hell out whatever stock of the older 6 was left.

All I am saying is I think that the pent up demand for the 6 has been satiated and more discerning people like me where not going to be hauling around such a dopey looking thing with stripes on the back while we had perfectly good working and far cooler phones on our hands with the 5s. I just couldn't do it. I would rather wait and see what the 7 looks like.

Mercedes vs Trans Am. I'm sure some Trans Am lovers are out there talking about those dopey looking Mercedes and BMW vehicles. I wish they'd at least have the self-awareness to acknowledge that their design judgments are just subjective notions they have about what looks good. It's not absolute at all. "More discerning people like me" -- do you really believe your design sensibilities are superior to others? Or that the 5 series iPhone is all that much more style'n than the 6 series? I couldn't disagree with you more. And the fact that I've owned both a 5 and a 6  does, I believe, give my opinion a bit more credibility. Honestly, I've not missed a single thing about my old 5, especially not the design. On the other hand, I would definitely miss several things about my 6 if I suddenly had to go back to the 5, and ONE thing I would miss is its beautiful curves and smooth edges (much sexier than the 5) and the simplicity of its design that says "I'm solid about what I am and don't need a lot of bling and flash to make me appear more valuable." You'll understand when you're older.

• Reply 75 of 108
    Lol at these reports

In other news Blackberry reported they sold all 100 units of the Priv. The next day 99 were returned. Lol
  • Reply 76 of 108
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

OK whom out there believes this?

Me, 100%. 

It has nothing to do with Apple or its products.

It’s the fact that we’re entering a new global depression.

EDIT: This time I’m happy for top of the page syndrome.

• Reply 77 of 108

i do not mind too terribly, i get to buy some more stock before the price goes back up. thanks credit suisse.

• Reply 78 of 108
    I'm sure you will find many people with similar attitudes at cnet and androidcentral.
  • Reply 79 of 108
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Every year a new iPhone, same old rumour.

• Reply 80 of 108

As P.T. Barnum once put it -- "there's a sucker born every minute"