Apple won't adopt AMOLED displays in iPhones until 2019 at the earliest, insider says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Kuo does not have a strong track record. Stop with this nonsense AI.

Yup, Kuo's "wins" can be largely attributed to good guesses and that old adage "if you throw enough sh_t at the side of a barn, some of it will stick."

I can similarly that it will be at least till 2020 before the earth plunges into the sun. The problem with open ended predictions like that (and Kuo's) is that you didn't say anything was actually going to happen. Seriously this sounds moire like a (paid?) crutch to prop up sagging samsung's image (& falling profits and share price)   It's a clever trick, I got to insinuate that the earth was going to plunge into the sun in the next 5 years without really saying it. (or being able to be held to it)

• Reply 22 of 73
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

iPhone 6 blacks with just some white text on screen are worse than iPhone 5 in that scenario thanks to the larger back-light. Colours are very good and looks incredibly accurate, but blacks (for say movie credits) leave a lot to be desired. A Kuro TV mops the floor with an iPhone in this regard. And yes, I did compared them. It's allowed.

I've owned multiple iPhone (from the 3GS up to the 6), I can't say that any newer generation has a worst LCD than previous model.  I found the iPhone 6 backlight bleeding better than previous iPhone I've owned. 

Display mate does a really good analysis of most phone display:

http://www.displaymate.com/iPhone6_ShootOut.htm

• Reply 23 of 73
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Kuo does not have a strong track record.

Sarcasm I assume. Kuo doesn't do well predicting sales, but as far as products, he's typically correct.
  • Reply 24 of 73
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Samsung use AMOLED in their Galaxy phones and their battery life is shit.
  • Reply 25 of 73
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Actually the latest generation panels can exceed 550 nits without automatic brightness according to Anandtech.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9558/the-samsung-galaxy-note5-and-galaxy-s6-edge-review/3

The automatic mode can send the brightness above 850 nits.

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_Note5_ShootOut_1.htm

I'm not sure exactly what Anandtech is measuring there, auto or not. Displaymate says the normal brightness limit they measured is 432 nits, not 600, and that the max in the sun is 784, which is a big improvement.
  • Reply 26 of 73
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Samsung use AMOLED in their Galaxy phones and their battery life is shit.

According to who's testing?  GSM Arena, Phonearena, Tom's Hardware, Anandtech or Anecdotal?

• Reply 27 of 73
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I've yet to have a complaint about an Apple device with an LCD. Each time I upgrade there has been a considerable improvement to the point now where I'm not sure I would "see" the benefit. Nothing has indicated to me that an OLED screen would improve upon that reality. Most of those OLED screen actually have a very unreal saturation to them anyways.
  • Reply 28 of 73
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Apple won't adopt AMOLED displays in iPhones until 2019 at the earliest, insider says

Apple won't embrace AMOLED display technology in the iPhone in the near future, instead opting to stick with its current LCD panels until at least 2018, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities said on Tuesday.

Is Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities an Apple insider?

• Reply 29 of 73
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Not mentioned among the OLED advantages was contrast ratio, which is significantly better.

Contrast ratio between totally off and the brightest a pixel can be is extremely good, but the contrast ratio between the dimmest a pixel can be while still emitting light and the brightest it can be isn't quite so good. That is, OLEDs aren't always great at representing colors that are almost-black-but-not-quite. They have improved significantly in that regard, but they're still not as great as the 0-to-max contrast ratio makes them sound.

All of the OLED displays I have seen use a "pentile" arrangement rather than the columnar arrangement used by traditional displays. Neither arrangement is really superior to the other. Most antialiasing algorithms and the like are created for columnar arrangement of colors, so they would need to be reworked to be effective. Cameras use something extremely close to the pentile arrangement (called the Bayer filter) in their sensors, so a pentile screen could potentially be better at displaying photos, particularly when rendering raw sensor data from the camera.

I'm not a fan of the look of OLED displays I've seen. The color gradation hasn't been great. This could conceivably be fixed with better calibration. The ones I've seen just remind me of 14-bit LCDs.

I do find it laughable that anybody calls Kuo an "insider" or "reliable" in this context. He has accurately predicted some things, but he has been wildly, hilariously off on at least as many others.

• Reply 30 of 73
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

Wow that is for real? That is some awfully weak tasting chowder IMO.

Kuo got the big ticket item correct, force touch. It was only the meaningless little things that he got wrong.

Who cares how he imagined it would work or what the next iPhone would be called? Kuo absolutely got it right on the most important thing, that "force touch" aka "3D touch" would be a huge tent pole feature on the next iPhone.

Force Touch wasn't hard to figure out. It was already available on the watch. That's a pretty easy thing to predict that it was coming to the iPhone. The overwhelming majority of things Kuo is right on is just stating the obvious.

Who else predicted force touch in the iPhone that early? That was a week before the Apple Watch went on sale.

It's funny, I did a little poking around with daringfireball since that was where the chowder came from.

In that chowder mentioned above, daringfireball says: "Kuo has had some scoops before — he was the first to call the iPhone 6 Plus’s 1920?×?1080 pixel resolution — but his record is far from perfect." 

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2014/09/24/ming-chi-kuo

So he got some major stuff right with the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.

Then there is the new iPad Pro where Kuo predicted both the size and the stylus: http://daringfireball.net/linked/2015/01/20/kuo-stylus

Notice at the bottom of the "kuo-stylus" link daringfireball says: "Worth noting because Kuo has a remarkable track record — I don’t think anyone has better sources in the Asian supply chain."

So he's had a few things right on the last two generations of iPhone as well as the iPad Pro. Yet he went from having a "remarkable track record" to "far from perfect".

I would say he gets enough correct to make him worth paying attention to.

• Reply 31 of 73

Shareholders would be upset if Apple went with an expensive technology (at least 3x more than the LCD display, esp. at the iPad sizes) that only benefits niche use-cases (dark UI, dark room viewing).

LCD continues to advance at much faster rates (since there is far more investment in LCD technology since it is 99% of the market). Quantum dots give better color gamut and much higher power efficiency than even dark UI OLED theoretically. 

Exciting times for LCD.

(Consider the first iPad is still in use after 5+ years, I expect it to last another 5 years easily, it's a beast. You can't guarantee that lifetime with OLED). 

• Reply 32 of 73
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Apple will move to AMOLED if, and when, they find the benefits to them, and us, outweigh the deficits, as they see them.

Obviously, they aren't afraid of newer technologies. So staying with LCD is something they must have good reasons for.
  • Reply 33 of 73
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Stop calling him an insider. He's a production analyst and he has made more mistakes than is been painted on AI.

I find it funny the love hate relationship with the guy, but my back of the envelop tally sheet says his rigths are far higher than his wrongs, and he worth listening to. He is so right it has taken the fun out of Apples announcements. I kind of like all the analysis being so wrong that waiting to see what apple really did was more fun. Today it like okay he is probably right again and we now know what the product is.

However, If you really feel he has been that wrong, show us your tally sheet where it show his claims against what apple shipped. I know he nails the Force touch or 3D touch to the point he explained how it would work. No one else had they information prior to him. Back up your claim he has been wrong most times, yeah pointed out one items but let see the complete list of rights and wrongs.

• Reply 34 of 73
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Apple will move to AMOLED if, and when, they find the benefits to them, and us, outweigh the deficits, as they see them.

Obviously, they aren't afraid of newer technologies. So staying with LCD is something they must have good reasons for.

I have to agree. Just because someone invented AMOLED does not mean it is better than what we already have. Most people lack the ability or knowledge to determine what is actually better. In this case who has all the test data, some blogger who read a wikipage about AMOLED or Apple.

Back in my LCD days, they are just sold technologies and has far more good things going for it then are bad. Apple was the very computer company to use TFT- LCD on a laptop when everyone else was going with the cheaper passive Matrix displays. I know over the years Apple has invested large sums of money into TFT-LCD technology nothing out there today benefits out weight it what Apple is using.

• Reply 35 of 73
    melgross wrote: »
    I'm not sure exactly what Anandtech is measuring there, auto or not. Displaymate says the normal brightness limit they measured is 432 nits, not 600, and that the max in the sun is 784, which is a big improvement.

We might as well use numbers from the same source to mitigate possible differences between individual phones. The Note 5 registered at 440 nits at manual max brightness and 861 on auto in the Displaymate article I linked.
  • Reply 36 of 73

Also, consider the new capacity method apple is using to overpower the solid state LEDs that drive the backlight system of the iPhone 6s LCD display. This allows for very bright flashes during a selfie and could be engineered to also offer an intermittent super-bright mode akin to what the samsung AMOLED phones are doing outdoors. 

• Reply 37 of 73
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Quote:

Minebea has also said it is working with other suppliers on next-generation, ultra-thin LED chips and optical sheets. Further innovations in that space are expected to boost LCD competition with AMOLED.

Sounds like Apple's MicroLED in the work. If, and If the MicroLED worked and can be produced in scale. There is very little reason to switch over to OLED.

• Reply 38 of 73
    maxitmaxit Posts: 222member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

He's a supply chain analyst making guesses but every time he puts out a research note rumor sites treat it as some big major story.

well, his guessing here is based on supply chain, so it could be right...

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Display life is actually a big issue. Samsung limits that max brightness to an automatic mode which switches off as soon as you get to an area where the sun isn't a direct factor. You can't set the display through the full range of brightness. The normal max brightness is around 350 nits, which is much lower than the 550 nits, or so the iPhone can be set to. That's because the extra current to the AMOLED will beat it up too much, and shorten the life, particularly for the blue and green components.

do not forget about burn-in, an issue still affecting OLED and almost non existent on LCDs

• Reply 39 of 73
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxIT View Post

well, his guessing here is based on supply chain, so it could be right...

do not forget about burn-in, an issue still affecting OLED and almost non existent on LCDs

I was warned about burn-in on plasma TVs but went ahead and bought a Panasonic Viera anyway.  Many years later - surprise, surprise - no burn-in whatsoever.  I have an OLED screened phone that is now 5 years old and which has seen daily use.  There is no evidence of any burn-in whatsoever or that other false meme, fading of blues.

I'm sure burn-in is a real issue in some extreme use cases, but there are now many millions of devices in use with OLED screens and a complete lack of any evidence of a large scale problem.

• Reply 40 of 73
    maxitmaxit Posts: 222member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

I was warned about burn-in on plasma TVs but went ahead and bought a Panasonic Viera anyway.  Many years later - surprise, surprise - no burn-in whatsoever.  I have an OLED screened phone that is now 5 years old and which has seen daily use.  There is no evidence of any burn-in whatsoever or that other false meme, fading of blues.

I'm sure burn-in is a real issue in some extreme use cases, but there are now many millions of devices in use with OLED screens and a complete lack of any evidence of a large scale problem.

anecdotal evidences don't count.

Burn-in is an issue for both plasma and OLED panels. I'm happy that you weren't affected, but is is entirely possible for others, especially with some almost fixed UI elements like status bar/clock.