Apple kicks off iPad Pro preorders online, in-store pickup starts today

Posted:
in iPad edited November 2015
As promised, Apple on Wednesday initiated preorders sales of its all new iPad Pro, the company's first ever 12.9-inch tablet with Smart Connector and support for Apple Pencil, announcing immediate in-store availability.

Apple activated the iPad Pro purchase page and corresponding "buy" links on the tablet's informational webpage at around 12:30 a.m. Pacific time. The online store is currently showing full stock of all models with many locales showing in-store pickup availability starting today.

Expedited shipments arrive on Nov. 13 and free shipments push delivery out to Nov. 16. The company earlier this week announced it would start sales today, but did not disclose predicted ship-by estimates.

At the time of this writing, the $99 Apple Pencil and $129 Smart Keyboard are showing wait times of at least one week, with arrival dates between Nov. 19 and Nov. 27, or Nov. 20 and Nov. 30, depending on shipping method.

Apple's iPad Pro starts at $799 for 32GB with Wi-Fi, while a 128GB Wi-Fi-only version comes in at $949. The top-tier 128GB model with Wi-Fi +Cellular rings in at $1,079. Apple is making all three models available in the usual silver, gold and space gray color options.

Sporting a 12.9-inch Retina display with 5.6 million pixels, iPad Pro is the largest tablet to come out of Cupertino. Powering those pixels is an all-new A9X processor said to rival most portable PCs. Despite its extra-large screen and power-hungry internals, iPad Pro manages to eke out 10 hours of battery life thanks in part to clever engineering like variable screen refresh rates and a large array of internal batteries.

iPad Pro also includes a special hardware subsystem for interacting with Apple Pencil, a pressure- and tilt-sensitive input device designed for drawing, sketches and notes. Apple Pencil boasts a built-in Lightning connector for easy pairing and charging, while a quick charge mode gives users 30 minutes' worth of juice in just 15 seconds.

The Smart Keyboard is a take on Apple's Smart Cover products, attaching to iPad Pro via the magnetic Smart Connector port. A hardwired connection provides a two-way flow of power and data, effectively replacing built-in keyboard batteries and Bluetooth connections.

During a recent UK press tour, Apple CEO Tim Cook said he only uses an iPad Pro and iPhone when traveling, later suggesting the jumbo slate can serve as a laptop replacement.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49

I preordered mine for store pickup and it says store pickup is available today. The mail delivery options are Friday with $19 expedited or Monday for free. 

Completed the order at 3:50am.

• Reply 2 of 49

Just ordered.  Showing 13 Nov delivery date.

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

• Reply 3 of 49
    Apple is offering in store delivery TODAY for items purchased online (except the Apple Pencil which is inexplicably delayed 10 days). #MyPencilBroke
  • Reply 4 of 49
    Just ordered via Apple Store app. In store pick up available today on iPad Pro space gray 128 wifi/cellular, Smart Keyboard, Smart Cover...Pencil ships 5-7 days. App launched sales prior to web with different availability and pickup/delivery options.
  • Reply 5 of 49
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Finally! I ordered two 128 GB space grey LTE models and two pencils. Interestingly, as I'm here in NYC, it said that I could pick the Pro up from the Grand Central store today, but that the pencil was out of stock for a week.

So it will be delivered Monday, but the pencil will come a week later.
  • Reply 6 of 49
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Are UK pre-orders supposed to be up? Still showing as 'Available November' to me. :(

• Reply 7 of 49

Not available for sale in Germany. 

• Reply 8 of 49
    richl wrote: »
    Are UK pre-orders supposed to be up? Still showing as 'Available November' to me. :(

U.K. Preorders are active.
  • Reply 9 of 49
    UK orders went live around 10am. Mines set for delivery on Friday.

No option to order apples own smart keyboard, but was offered a logitech version, on which I passed.
  • Reply 10 of 49
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Don't be stupid for 32GB. You will regret for the rest of your life. $150 more for 128GB worth every penny. Got my gold one with cover only. Can't figure out the use for Pencil.
  • Reply 11 of 49
    maxitmaxit Posts: 222member

available in Italy but .... it's 919€ (do your math).

As I said elsewhere, the price is totally wrong IMHO, by at least 150€.

The 128 Gb WiFi+cellular is 1249€, add the Pencil and the keyboard, you are above 1500€ :wow:

• Reply 12 of 49
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Ordered the Gold 128GB WiFi+Cellular this morning, to make sure I got one, also bought a Smart Cover and Case. Left the pencil for the moment, going to see if I can pick one up whilst i am in town on Friday, if not then I will order one up then.
  • Reply 13 of 49

What is the current Apple policy regarding the playback of content (originally music) on multiple devices (originally 5)?

Which content?

- music

- TV shows

- movies

What delivery vehicles?

- purchase

- rent

- streaming

As the Apple ecosystem in our lives grows (iPod, iPhone, iPad [multiple], AppleTV, CarPlay, etc.), it's becoming increasingly easier to hit that ceiling of 5 devices.  And does Family Sharing alleviate any of this limit by allowing you to playback content on multiple devices (owned  by Family members) without that counting against your limit?

• Reply 14 of 49

Uff, company pays for the pad. But the accessory is another 379 Euro. I am seriously wondering why everything does cost way more than in the US? For instance: the pencil cost 116,82 USD here.

• Reply 15 of 49
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    "At the time of this writing, the $99 Apple Pencil and $129 Smart Keyboard..."

No. It's $169.
  • Reply 16 of 49
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I guess the reviews are starting...here's one from Ben Bajarin.

https://techpinions.com/the-ipad-pro-the-start-of-something-new/42336
  • Reply 17 of 49
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

The Ars review is pretty amazing, they found that the A9X's GPU is actually faster than the Intel GPUs in the Core i5/i7 (though on CPU performance it's still a little behind).

• Reply 18 of 49
    And Joanna Stern from WSJ who not surprisingly says it won't replace her laptop yet. I don't think reviewers get it. No this device probably won't replace PCs for people who haven't grown up in a mobile first world. And that's OK. It's not like Apple has stopped selling Macs.

https://t.co/FPae4oCCTW

The Verge gives it an 8.7. Pencil getting high marks in all reviews I've read so far.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/11/9705966/apple-ipad-pro-review
  • Reply 19 of 49
    ascii wrote: »
    The Ars review is pretty amazing, they found that the A9X's GPU is actually faster than the Intel GPUs in the Core i5/i7 (though on CPU performance it's still a little behind).

I don't think the review iself was amazing. And the comments are predictible. I'm hoping we get reviews from people who can take advantage of the Pencil and some of the pro apps that support it.
  • Reply 20 of 49
    This is from Wired's review (their overall conclusion was positive).

[QUOTE]For those of us who still cling to laptops and desktops, the iPad Pro just doesn’t feel like a serious machine for serious work. We need our keyboard shortcuts and our mice, our apps that work just how we like them. We need our accessories. A touch-first interface just doesn’t feel right, and the iPad Pro can’t overthrow our existing workflows and tools. Maybe we’ll catch up to Tim Cook’s vision of work someday. Maybe. But for right now, we have work to do, and no time to reinvent how we do it.[/QUOTE]

This is where I go back to Apple needs to set the narrative and get the messaging right with this device. I'm not convinced Apple is expecting everyone to ditch their laptops for this device (yet) but that's the angle all the reviews I've read so far are taking. John Gruber mentioned that when he gets devices from Apple to review someone from marketing gives him a walk through and basically goes through various talking points. I'd be curious to know what talking points these employees were given with iPad Pro.