Apple Marketing and Ads

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
It seems that Apple pumps a bunch of money into ads that run for two weeks and disappear. I have yet to ever see a Switcher ad on TV, I saw the iMac ad once. It always seems like Apple does not run its ads long enough and not frequent enough.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i think they said that the switcher campaign was their largest since 1984. in nyc, i can't (note: present tense) help but see a large bus stop switcher ad everywhere i go. perhaps u just don't look hard enough. but i agree that the t.v. commercials have only a short stint. but those are probably the most expensive ones to do.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    idudeidude Posts: 352member
    Maybe NY has a lot of ads, but what majority of computer users live in the big cities? Apple may well do an excellent job of promoting in NY, DC, LA, etc., but they are neglecting the majority of PC users. TV is the most widely accepted and viewed medium, and Apple should respond accordingly to that with more TV ads.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    They also need to turn a profit and going on three month long advertising campaigns isn't going to help with that (well, probably.)
  • Reply 4 of 11
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    [quote]Originally posted by Spart:

<strong>They also need to turn a profit and going on three month long advertising campaigns isn't going to help with that (well, probably.)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Running more tv ads will not kill Apple financially. No one buying their computers and no increase in market share will. Now Gateway is launching a new campaign aimed directly at the Mac. Say what you want about that ugly computer but you canbet your ass you will see that ad much more than you have seen any other Apple ad in the last year. Really, how often do you ever see an Apple ad on TV?? They spend all this money on a famous director to shoot the ads...for what? So you can download them off of the Apple site?

[ 08-26-2002: Message edited by: Bodhi ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 11
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    That's not really my point. Apple's prices aren't going to appeal to the general viewing audience. Those who can afford it usually have enough sense to shop around.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Spart:

<strong>That's not really my point. Apple's prices aren't going to appeal to the general viewing audience. Those who can afford it usually have enough sense to shop around.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The eMac is at a great price point. You have any idea how many people I know who would have already bought into Mac if they knew what Macs do? You have any idea how many times I hear: You only use those if you are a graphic designer?!

These misconceptions are the result of Apple marketing their machines as the "Mercedes" of the computer industry for so long. NOW they need Apple Switcher ads all over the TV with people talking about creating Excel spreadsheets on their Macs.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    When they first came out, I would see them almost once a day on tv. After MWNY, I dont think I ever saw one again, even the new ones (except at the Javits center).

I think it would be a good idea to put them on during the evening (read: 6 pm -10 pm). I've noticed (not like watch that crap) that many of them have macs around in the background. Maybe they could say something like "You saw it on [insert pointless sit-com here] now you can own one too. Blah blah blah blah blah." Any thoughts?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I always wondered that for a few years now. Apple always unveils these neat little commercials (often during a Macworld Expo), they get press releases, written about at maccentral.com, talked about here and even placed on their site in QuickTime format.

But I NEVER actually see them on TV! I see them on Apple's website, the big screen at Apple's store, maybe the occasional magazine ad.

I've seen exactly TWO "Switch" commercials on TV. I don't watch TONS of TV, but I tend to watch shows and networks that you think would be were these ads were placed (I saw one Switch commercial on MSNBC and I saw the other on, I think, VH-1).

They always seem to come out of the gate really strong and hyped. Then BOOM. Nothing.

I never saw the G4 tank ad on TV, never saw the tangerine Barry White iBook ad on TV. Never saw the Cube "Purple Haze" commercial on TV. Saw the "aisle seat" ad twice, saw "Baby Jack" once and saw the eloping couple iDVD commercial MAYBE three times.

:confused:

But I can't watch TV for 45 minutes without seeing 2 "Steve the Dell kid" commercials or a Gateway one with the ponytail guy and the talking cow.

Believe me, I know Apple's marketshare and all isn't to that level. But my thinking is this: piss or get off the pot. Either make some mindblowing, truly compelling commercials (and quit trying to be cute or preach to the choir) and air the living hell out of them, or save your money and just stick to print ads.

[ 08-26-2002: Message edited by: pscates ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Better yet...make some commercials and AIR THEM!
  • Reply 10 of 11
    as far as tv i do remeber seeing the early messy wire pc imac ad (acually all the early imac ad's), the burning pentuium bunny and snail ad's, and the many Jeff Goldblum ones alot on tv.

on the other side it's such overkill the amount of bus stop and phone booth switch ads in nyc, i see those faces all the freaking time. But alot of people that use computers do live and work in the citys, and their is more ad real estate there so it makes some sense. Like the giant old ipod and present imac building cover ad in times square. They just need some osx ad's.

I see so many people walking around in the city with ipods now, its great, you can tell by the white ear phones and cords

[ 08-26-2002: Message edited by: Ti Fighter ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 11
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    For years many of us have wanted to see Apple ACTUALLY SHOW the operating system working ON CAMERA. I mean, most Windows users have never really EVEN SEEN the Mac OS in action!

Mastabatory "we're so hip" commercials may be more effective at not overwhelming the non-techy user, but imagine the curiousity PC users might experience if they actually saw some of Jaguar running!

IMAGINE!

Drew