iPad Pro reviews: great hardware, but potential is limited thanks to iOS

Comments

• Reply 21 of 180
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

iOS is only limited to those who grew up in the mouse/Microsoft world.

For people under 25 the ipad Pro is the laptop for those who never owned a laptop.

Admit it.  The laptop is dying along with the older generation.  Its up to software makers to realize this and start building serious software for iOS.  Apple has provided the hardware now.

Ordered for pickup today:  128GB gold Wifi

haters can hate. They hate what they don't and will never understand.

This ?

The reviews are pretty much what I expected from the traditional PC generation. Keyboard, mouse, command line. What’s a track pad? What’s a ‘pencil’?

• Reply 22 of 180
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Which demonstrates that Apple should release a Mac tablet.
  • Reply 23 of 180
    With an app called Goodreader one can have a PC like file system.

All my working files are synced from PC to iPad using Goodreader via wifi.

Files in Goodreader can be opened in any app that support the format.

I think there are several other file manager apps that can replicate a PC file system too.
  • Reply 24 of 180
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Ah, mixed messages are encouraged by Apple's executive leadership! That doesn't sound like a good plan to me but Apple knows a whole lot more about marketing than I do.

Yes they do and your snark doesn’t change things. Apple has one of the most competent, aggressive, successful marketing departments in business history. 

• Reply 25 of 180
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Here's the review I was waiting for: Federico Viticci's

https://www.macstories.net/stories/ipad-pro-review/
  • Reply 26 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

Sounds a lot like early reviews of the original iPad and iPad2. The common message was "cool hardware in search of a reason to exist." Then all of a sudden, developers released some must-have apps and the iPad became the primary go-to device for many, many people.

Absolutely. Name a single Apple product that wasn’t released to derision, guffaws, predictions of failure and doom for Apple. Go ahead, anybody, name one. 

Apple II

Macintosh

iPod

iPhone

iPad

?Watch

Apple TV

All declared failures before they even launched.

• Reply 27 of 180
    lkrupp wrote: »

This ?

The reviews are pretty much what I expected from the traditional PC generation. Keyboard, mouse, command line. What’s a track pad? What’s a ‘pencil’?

sog35 wrote: »
    iOS is only limited to those who grew up in the mouse/Microsoft world.

For people under 25 the ipad Pro is the laptop for those who never owned a laptop.

Admit it.  The laptop is dying along with the older generation.  Its up to software makers to realize this and start building serious software for iOS.  Apple has provided the hardware now.

Ordered for pickup today:  128GB gold Wifi

haters can hate. They hate what they don't and will never understand.

Yeah! Listen to the crowd jeer with derision as Apple skates right past the puck . . . to where the puck will be !
  • Reply 28 of 180
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    pmz wrote: »
    This is simply not true. Touch cannot completely replace a Mouse. They are different kinds of inputs, like different kinds of brushes.

I design graphics in Creative Suite. Can't do that with touch, its just ridiculous. You need a mouse for it. This just one example.

That said, Order my iPad Pro through ATT.com. When I'm away from my desk, I'd rather make do with an iPad instead of needing a second Mac.

That is a straw man argument. It is the way of replacement technologies to leave some functionality of the earlier technology. The are numerous examples of this. Back in the day when we had CLI interfaces--almost every personal computer included a BASIC interpreter and most of their users did their computing using BASIC programs that they wrote themselves. Today, BASIC is deadly dead a a language and almost nobody writes their own programs.

The iPad has already replaced a lot of laptops. The iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil will no doubt replace a lot more laptops. The times, they are a-changing.
  • Reply 29 of 180
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    lkrupp wrote: »

Yes they do and your snark doesn’t change things. Apple has one of the most competent, aggressive, successful marketing departments in business history. 
    Yes they are! Therefor it's not believable that the narrative Apple intended to spin is not already determined. IMO Mr Cook was not speaking "off the cuff" but instead presenting the story the way Apple agreed on.
  • Reply 30 of 180
    You seem upset about simething today. Am I wrong?
    I believe you are. Apple has decided what the angle should be and it's the one being promoted by Mr. Cook and Mr. Cue. Who better to control the message? Just my opinion. Yours of course may be that Apple doesn't know what the message should be and marketing hasn't yet been given the game plan.
  • Reply 31 of 180
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

I'll ditch my laptop when Apple releases Xcode for iOS. :P

• Reply 32 of 180
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

The iPad has already replaced a lot of laptops. The iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil will no doubt replace a lot more laptops. The times, they are a-changing.

Whatever...Why talk about replacing laptops? Sure a scooter can replace a car as a mode of transportation...unless it is raining or freezing or you have two more passengers. Am I not allowed to own a truck and a car? iPad is cool, but it just doesn't do what I need much of the time. Everyone has different preferences and requirements. It is not an either/or situation. There is room for many types of computing devices.

• Reply 33 of 180
    sog35 wrote: »
    I agree with this review.

I will never use a laptop again.

He's pretty much a full time iPad user that's why I was interested in his review most.

The fact is Steve Jobs's 4 quadrant slide is no longer relevant, yet tech reviewers are still hell bent on fitting products into one of those 4 quadrants.
  • Reply 34 of 180
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Ah, mixed messages are encouraged by Apple's executive leadership! That doesn't sound like a good plan to me but Apple knows a whole lot more about marketing than I do.

No more like marketing can't control what the CEO says.
  • Reply 35 of 180
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,338member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Whatever...Why talk about replacing laptops? Sure a scooter can replace a car as a mode of transportation...unless it is raining or freezing or you have two more passengers. Am I not allowed to own a truck and a car? iPad is cool, but it just doesn't do what I need much of the time. Everyone has different preferences and requirements. It is not an either/or situation. There is room for many types of computing devices.

Yes, everybody can find something that fits them with Apple, even if you need Windows. I don't see it as replacing laptops for anyone the is a heavy laptop user anyway; but it would for somebody that really doesn't need a laptop for what they do. YMMV

• Reply 36 of 180
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,338member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I believe you are. Apple has decided what the angle should be and it's the one being promoted by Mr. Cook and Mr. Cue. Who better to control the message? Just my opinion. Yours of course may be that Apple doesn't know what the message should be and marketing hasn't yet been given the game plan.

This is definitely one of those cases where you are shit stirring.

Take a break today and go somewhere else.

How's that Pixel C doing today?

• Reply 37 of 180
    appex wrote: »
    Which demonstrates that Apple should release a Mac tablet.

Why? I think it's pretty clear iPad Pro hardware is plenty capable of running desktop class apps. I think it makes more sense to add capabilities to iOS (like split screen multitasking and maybe eventually an exposed file system) than try and shoehorn a mouse/pointer OS on to a touch screen.
  • Reply 38 of 180
    You seem upset about simething today. Am I wrong?

Positive reviews of Apple products always brings out the trolling side.
  • Reply 39 of 180
    rogifan wrote: »
    No more like marketing can't control what the CEO says.
    :rolleyes:
    well OK then. I would assume executive leadership determined the message they wanted to present, and marketing did what they decided on. If it's the other way around then I would absolutely agree with you that "marketing" isn't telling Tim Cook what to do.

In any event it doesn't matter. The point was Apple is presenting the iPad Pro the way they want to at the moment. That message of course can change.
  • Reply 40 of 180
    tmay wrote: »
    Yes, everybody can find something that fits them with Apple, even if you need Windows. I don't see it as replacing laptops for anyone the is a heavy laptop user anyway; but it would for somebody that really doesn't need a laptop for what they do. YMMV

Exactly Not everything has to be black and white. Not everything needs to fit in to one of Steve Jobs 4 quadrants. iPad Pro doesn't need to be able to replace a desktop/laptop for everyone.