iPad Pro reviews: great hardware, but potential is limited thanks to iOS

Comments

• Reply 41 of 180
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    well OK then. I would assume executive leadership determined the message they wanted to present, and marketing did what they decided on. If it's the other way around then I would absolutely agree with you that "marketing" isn't telling Tim Cook what to do.

In any event it doesn't matter. The point was Apple is presenting the iPad Pro the way they want to at the moment. That message of course can change.

Well you're obviously not getting my point. My point is I don't know how Apple is presenting this product. Tim Cook says who needs a PC anymore; Eddy Cue says he uses his iPad Pro more for consuming, for reading email and surfing the web. Maybe Apple is saying iPad Pro doesn't replace the PC because the PC is dead. Of course that's silly. Or maybe Apple is missing a coherent message on this product. As I've said before I think Cook's Apple is good with the what and the how, but they sometimes struggle with the why.
  • Reply 42 of 180
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

People have to stop going to such extremes with their thought processes and comments.

iPhone replaced laptops for some people.

iPad replaced laptops for more people.

iPad Pro will replace even more laptops for even more people.

And there will still be people with laptops. Just fewer than when this all started.

• Reply 43 of 180

Tim Cook said recently that he now carries just an iPhone and an iPad Pro when he travels. This tells us one thing about Tim Cook: He does not write code. We know this because with that combo there is no way to develop apps since XCode is not available for the iPad Pro. You can develop Windows apps on a Surface Pro in Visual Studio. If you want to develop and test apps in the field (like say a GPS based app) you must lug around an iPad and a Mac laptop and then tether the two together with a lightning cable so you can test the touch gestures (no way to do that in the simulator and no touch screen on any Mac laptop). Sadly for software development, Apple now trails Windows by several years by simply ignoring its own developers as a major market for its products. 

• Reply 44 of 180
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

You're not getting the Adobe software that is designed for Mouse input on a touch device. Its just not happening. They have made what they feel is worth having on a touch display, and its already available. So, don't wait around for that.

And that ancient myth about proper file management makes you look ignorant. All of my important files on my Mac/PCs are stored in either iCloud Drive, Dropbox, or OneDrive. All of which are completely accessible on iPad.

Adobe's CC Mobile Apps won't cut it in today's market, they are very unfinished. iOS user file system won't cut it either. The software is just not there as a main platform for designing and coding. When I create mockups in photoshop, I end up with upwards of 100 layers and pixel accuracy without much zooming in/out, try that on an iPad. I did, it's not there yet. Maybe in a year or two. I was able to use my iPad 3 for wireframes and quick code edits while on the road.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

That is a straw man argument. It is the way of replacement technologies to leave some functionality of the earlier technology. The are numerous examples of this. Back in the day when we had CLI interfaces--almost every personal computer included a BASIC interpreter and most of their users did their computing using BASIC programs that they wrote themselves. Today, BASIC is deadly dead a a language and almost nobody writes their own programs.

The iPad has already replaced a lot of laptops. The iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil will no doubt replace a lot more laptops. The times, they are a-changing.

Basic as a language is still being used today and it's very popular, it has changed a bit, but it's still here. 

Unfortunately, almost every web and app developer writes their own code and programs, it's still tedious but it's more structured and there are a lot of libraries and frameworks to use/confuse you. :D 

• Reply 45 of 180
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

That's not the controlled narrative Mr Cook is presenting tho is it? Seems Apple marketing has decided it should be promoted as a laptop replacement.

Gatorguy all I have ever seen from you is negative why do you do like me and read the post and comments and keep your mouth SHUT???

• Reply 45 of 180
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

But Cook was using an iPad before the MacBook was even released. Seems to me the new MacBook is just as portable as iPad Pro. I mean it only weighs two pounds.

The Retina MacBook weighs more, has a lower resolution screen, is slower, more expensive, and has shorter battery than the iPad Pro. That's a lot of tradeoffs.

• Reply 47 of 180
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by amoradala View Post

Yeah! Listen to the crowd jeer with derision as Apple skates right past the puck . . . to where the puck will be !

Just like the Apple Watch? 

Apple used to be about solving a problem. Now it's all about the profits.

I'm sure this iPad Pro will resonate with professional illustrators because of the Pencil, but what can it do that can't be done with a laptop? 

And if it's touch you want, why not just enable touch on the next gen MBP's or go the detachable SurfaceBook route.

• Reply 48 of 180
    hard to see this (or iOS in general) as a laptop replacement. and the problem is that this price point it seems like it's positioned to be one.
  • Reply 49 of 180
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Well you're obviously not getting my point. My point is I don't know how Apple is presenting this product. Tim Cook says who needs a PC anymore; Eddy Cue says he uses his iPad Pro more for consuming, for reading email and surfing the web. Maybe Apple is saying iPad Pro doesn't replace the PC because the PC is dead. Of course that's silly. Or maybe Apple is missing a coherent message on this product. As I've said before I think Cook's Apple is good with the what and the how, but they sometimes struggle with the why.
    Oh, gotcha now. Well then we might agree on that.

I see now why we weren't understanding each other.
  • Reply 50 of 180
    sog35 wrote: »
    <h1 style="margin-bottom:15px;margin-top:0px;">iPad Pro reviews: great hardware, but potential is limited thanks to iOS  Apps (for now)</h1>

No, that not clickbaity enough. Better stick with "iOS = FAIL" as the perfect headline.
  • Reply 51 of 180
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by portcity View Post

If the iPad Pro ends up replacing any laptop it's the new MacBook. It has the same screen, is more portable, has the same battery life, a faster processor, and it's cheaper. Even Cook himself carries the iPad Pro over the new MacBook

The new MacBook 'One' is more a proof of concept than a final state. That's obvious. Same was true of the first Air.

The one in danger is the Air, not the MacBooke One.

• Reply 52 of 180
    sog35 wrote: »
    iOS is only limited to those who grew up in the mouse/Microsoft world.

For people under 25 the ipad Pro is the laptop for those who never owned a laptop.

Admit it.  The laptop is dying along with the older generation.  Its up to software makers to realize this and start building serious software for iOS.  Apple has provided the hardware now.

Ordered for pickup today:  128GB gold Wifi

haters can hate. They hate what they don't and will never understand.

Tell that to my under 25yr old girlfriend who absolutely has to use her new Macbook Pro for her creative work. The iPad Pro could not do a fraction of what she has to do.

Rephrase it to "most" people don't need a laptop for simple consumption needs and you'll be correct.

Can't wait to get my iPad Pro.
  • Reply 53 of 180
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Tim Cook says who needs a PC anymore...

I'm not sure he said that. I think he said that for many/most people, the iPad can do everything they need. That's not the same as inferring that no one needs a PC anymore.

• Reply 54 of 180
    mwhiteco wrote: »

Gatorguy all I have ever seen from you is negative why do you do like me and read the post and comments and keep your mouth SHUT???

Now now. I want to hear more anti-Apple FUD from him.
  • Reply 55 of 180
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Thats archaic talk. File systems were a neccesity in the 90's, not today.

iOS has a file system. The user just can't access it. It is a security feature not a convenience feature. iOS hides the file system to help prevent typical dumb users from downloading and executing malware. For highly technical users the lack of access to a file system is more of a hinderance than benefit, but that is the way iOS was designed, to protect people from themselves.

• Reply 56 of 180
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

The iPad has already replaced a lot of laptops. The iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil will no doubt replace a lot more laptops. The times, they are a-changing.

Whatever...Why talk about replacing laptops? Sure a scooter can replace a car as a mode of transportation...unless it is raining or freezing or you have two more passengers. Am I not allowed to own a truck and a car? iPad is cool, but it just doesn't do what I need much of the time. Everyone has different preferences and requirements. It is not an either/or situation. There is room for many types of computing devices.

Yes, yes, and yes.

• Reply 57 of 180

The Retina MacBook weighs more, has a lower resolution screen, is slower, more expensive, and has shorter battery than the iPad Pro. That's a lot of tradeoffs.

Pretty damning for Intel is what I would say.
  • Reply 58 of 180
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Now now. I want to hear more anti-Apple FUD from him.
    I think it strange the things you think are "anti-Apple" FUD. Which post here is?

EDIT: I've always enjoyed the gentle chirp of crickets*
  • Reply 59 of 180
    gqb wrote: »
    I'm not sure he said that. I think he said that for many/most people, the iPad can do everything they need. That's not the same as inferring that no one needs a PC anymore.

This was his exact quote;
    “I think if you’re looking at a PC, why would you buy a PC anymore? No really, why would you buy one?”, asks Tim Cook, Apple’s chief executive, who has just flown into Britain for the launch of the iPad Pro.
  • Reply 60 of 180
    mstone wrote: »
    iOS has a file system. The user just can't access it. It is a security feature not a convenience feature. iOS hides the file system to help prevent typical dumb users from downloading and executing malware. For highly technical users the lack of access to a file system is more of a hinderance than benefit, but that is the way iOS was designed, to protect people from themselves.

Blame Steve Jobs.