iPad Pro reviews: great hardware, but potential is limited thanks to iOS

Comments

• Reply 101 of 180
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

iOS is only limited to those who grew up in the mouse/Microsoft world.

For people under 25 the ipad Pro is the laptop for those who never owned a laptop.

Admit it.  The laptop is dying along with the older generation.  Its up to software makers to realize this and start building serious software for iOS.  Apple has provided the hardware now.

Ordered for pickup today:  128GB gold Wifi

haters can hate. They hate what they don't and will never understand.

This review echoes your thoughts;

https://techpinions.com/the-ipad-pro-the-start-of-something-new/42336

"From my time with the iPad Pro, the most interesting observation I made was not how I used the tablet but how my oldest daughter, who is twelve, used the iPad Pro. She goes to a private school where each kid uses an iPad all day, every day."

"So I should not have been surprised when my daughter started playing with the iPad Pro for a few hours and came back and showed me all the things she had done: movies she made, photos she took outside (which she edited/mashed up using the different apps she also uses in creative projects at school) and taking advantage of the unique benefits of the Apple Pencil. With nearly everything she showed me, I had to ask her how she did it. I had no idea some of the apps on iPad were as powerful as they were, enabling her do things I didn’t think were possible (leading me to think developers need to do a better job of touting their apps’ features). As I said, her fluency with the iPad Pro and the quickness in which she adapts to new tools like the Pencil and pushes the limits of the new tools so quickly was astonishing.

She embraced the Pencil and used it to create more precise illustrations on top of the video and image mashup she was creating for a class presentation. The extra level of detail and precision of the Pencil allowed her to create a digital version of the paper art project she was doing for class. All the other students were presenting their paper illustrations alongside the digital video and photo presentation and she was able to add digital art and present the entire project digitally.

There is truly something happening with this generation growing up spending the bulk, if not all, of their computing time using mobile operating systems and doing new things with new tools. Being the techie that I am, I was a bit disheartened that my twelve-year-old was getting more out of the iPad Pro and pushing it further limits than I was. But she is a part of the mobile generation after all. For them, the future will look quite different and the tools they use to make that future might look quite similar to the iPad Pro."

• Reply 102 of 180
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,371member
    All the same old tired arguments lamenting the fact that a BMW 5-Series has so much less cargo carrying capacity compared to an F-150 pickup. Yes, they are both functional road vehicles that will get you through the McDonald's drive through but the purposeful set of features and qualities of each vehicle are widely divergent. Apple doesn't need a laptop replacement because it's laptop product line hits all of the targets people who want, need, and are most productive with a keyboard and mouse desire. If highly immersive touch and drawing based productivity with minimal keyboarding is what you really need, hello iPad.

If Apple really wanted to build a compromise laden platypus device today all they'd have to do is add a touch screen and iOS compatibility to the MacBook. This would introduce layers of redundancy, confusion, and a compromised UX based on the current deltas between the base assumptions of iOS and OS X. Until there is a compelling reason to converge these two worlds I don't see any value in such a compromise device. But I also wouldn't rule out Apple reaching a convergence between iOS and OS X in the near future. They have shown time and time again that they can take the clumsy and ugly attempts of others and figure out the magic formula to bring the primitive concepts together into a real product by adding the essential missing pieces that make for an elegant and highly compelling product. They're building the Spaceship for a reason, and it can't just be to deliver ten more years of incremental tweaks to their existing product lines. Convergence will come, but only when it can be done without compromise. In the meantime the iPad Pro further cements Apple's total domination in the tablet computing environment and moves us a little closer to being able to drive most functional aspects of personal computing beyond the crutch of the keyboard and mouse.

The Apple supplied keyboard cover for the iPad Pro is a bit of an anachronism. I've tried keyboard covers on the smaller iPads but always find them to be a clumsy burden when using the device for 90% of its use cases. They just get in the way. For the times when you really want a keyboard the Apple wireless Bluetooth keyboard is perfectly fine and not a compromise. In general the Apple iPad cases tend to be mediocre at best so the Pro's keyboard cover falls right into line. The only Apple iPad cover/case I've really liked is the original iPad 1 cover with the locking slot on the back. I don't understand why Apple never brought that case forward. The magnetic covers and even the current cases with magnetic covers still aren't as good as the original one that was very robust and felt good in the hand.
  • Reply 103 of 180
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

It's disappointing that we didn't see more focus on Tags when it launched because that seems such a logical way to organise files and a first solid step in the direction of a true metadata-based file system.

That might be appropriate for some types of workflow. Where the files are located is extremely important in many cases though, especially if you are designing or sharing documents that have embedded assets such as spreadsheets, desktop publishing, app development, or web pages. The OS by itself cannot override the requirements of a specific application's design and functionality. That is why we have a file system to start with, because there are so many different use case scenarios, there is just no other way to accommodate all of them. iPad does not try to accommodate all use cases, but a computer does.

• Reply 104 of 180
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    It already IS a laptop replacement for SOME people. I know them. Don't consider everyone the same, and don't be afraid to see the future coming.

And don't worry--it's a long, slow transition, and they won't take our trucks away.

P.S. Don't consider the Smart Keyboard a necessary part of the package. Wait and judge your options (more are already showing up) and see which keyboard turns out best for you. I'm betting it won't be the Smart Keyboard for most people! For me, I bet it will be good old on-screen.
  • Reply 105 of 180
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Aw, confuzzeled emoji, how cute.  Preach it brother Gator. 
    You could stick around a little while and comment on the thread topic rather than personalities tho. Any opinion whatsoever on the iPad Pro? Good addition to the line? Something you have an interest in? Anything in particular that really stands out about it to you?
  • Reply 106 of 180
    richl wrote: »
    I'll ditch my laptop when Apple releases Xcode for iOS. :P

Oye, Oye! Imagine Coding Swift and executing Playgrounds on the iPad Pro!
  • Reply 107 of 180
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

iOS is only limited to those who grew up in the mouse/Microsoft world.

For people under 25 the ipad Pro is the laptop for those who never owned a laptop.

Admit it.  The laptop is dying along with the older generation.  Its up to software makers to realize this and start building serious software for iOS.  Apple has provided the hardware now.

Ordered for pickup today:  128GB gold Wifi

haters can hate. They hate what they don't and will never understand

no one lives forever.

• Reply 108 of 180
    Let's see you manage ANYTHING in an enterprise environment with the Surface Pro. Sorry, still a big movie / email machine, and not a real computer.

No expansion, no peripherals, wifi ONLY

I'll leave this toy for the under 25 group to play with. Sorry my comment is so short, but I have actual IT work to do. Have fun children.
  • Reply 109 of 180
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You could stick around a little while and comment on the thread topic rather than personalities tho. Any opinion whatsoever on the iPad Pro? Good addition to the line? Something you have an interest in? Anything in particular that really stands out about it to you?

Haven't gotten it yet, will be picking it up after work.  But, I will let you know once I get it.  I'm hoping this makes some photo editing easier to do on the go, and hopefully layouts.  Stuff that actually helps my career out, not just arguing for the sake of OS religions. 

• Reply 110 of 180

I played with a demo iPad Pro at the Apple Store, and it's a nice product. Large, beautiful screen, thin body, and lighter than I expected. I'll be using it for music with the ForScore app (the demo units in stores have this app installed with several demo scores---great!), also magazines, web browsing and email.

It's a mistake to position this as a replacement for a laptop, I think. The iPad Pro is a great tablet with lots and lots of screen real estate. App developers can take advantage of that to make their apps even more intuitive and engaging. 

I suppose I could use the iPad Pro for work-related tasks, but like many others, I've grown accustomed to a computer setup with lots of applications tiled across dual monitors. Hands on keyboard, with a mouse or track pad within close easy reach. Neither the iPad Pro nor iOS are designed for that, and I wouldn't grade the iPad Pro's success on those criteria. It's a great tablet.

I liked the Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard, but I won't be getting either. I don't expect to have much use for the pencil, and I already have an Apple bluetooth keyboard, which should work fine with the iPad Pro if I want to do a lot of typing. I'm just getting the iPad Pro and a Smart Cover.

• Reply 111 of 180
    mstone wrote: »
    mr. me wrote: »
    The iPad has already replaced a lot of laptops. The iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil will no doubt replace a lot more laptops. The times, they are a-changing.
    Whatever...Why talk about replacing laptops? Sure a scooter can replace a car as a mode of transportation...unless it is raining or freezing or you have two more passengers. Am I not allowed to own a truck and a car? iPad is cool, but it just doesn't do what I need much of the time. Everyone has different preferences and requirements. It is not an either/or situation. There is room for many types of computing devices.

I agree with this.

I suspect that most iPad Pro sales will be for new uses as opposed to replacing existing uses.

In addition, I see the iPad Pro being used in conjunction with a traditional PC (desktop, laptop) as a specialty I/O device -- graphics tablet, CAD tablet, A/V editing, additional display, etc.
  • Reply 112 of 180
    I wonder how long it will be before Apple releases the dual-boot option so that this hardware can run either iOS or OS X.

From what I can tell, the hardware power is there. It'll need more than 128 GB though.
  • Reply 113 of 180
    Whoever claiming that the pen is "for artists" apparently has never used a spreadsheet on the iPad. The pen is a must to select spreadsheet cells or to edit formula, the finger is just too big to do that. And since the spreadsheet is a mainstream office application the rationale behind the pen appears immediately.
  • Reply 114 of 180
    Quote:

Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

And if it's touch you want, why not just enable touch on the next gen MBP's or go the detachable SurfaceBook route.

Wonder, when you are detaching your surface keyboard where you usually put it?  :)

• Reply 115 of 180
    Whoever claiming that the pen is "for artists" apparently has never used a spreadsheet on the iPad. The pen is a must to select spreadsheet cells or to edit formula, the finger is just too big to do that. And since the spreadsheet is a mainstream office application the rationale behind the pen appears immediately.

I never thought of that use. That notion has increased my interest dramatically.
  • Reply 116 of 180
    plovell wrote: »
    I wonder how long it will be before Apple releases the dual-boot option so that this hardware can run either iOS or OS X.

From what I can tell, the hardware power is there. It'll need more than 128 GB though.

Dual boot, meaning you'll have to choose at startup what OS you enter? I don't see that ever happening.
  • Reply 117 of 180
    Would only the Apple Pen work for that or would any perhaps less expensive stylus? Honest question as I don't know. As a graphic artist I can certainly see where the Apple Pen is beneficial, but not sure how it fits with a use such as yours. Or do standard styluses even work with the Pro?
  • Reply 118 of 180
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Would only the Apple Pen work for that or would any perhaps less expensive stylus? Honest question as I don't know. As a graphic artist I can certainly see where the Apple Pen is beneficial, but not sure how it fits with a use such as yours. Or do standard styluses even work with the Pro?

I suppose that depends on the size of the cells.
  • Reply 119 of 180
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I must argue that the pen, with its smooth and natural use as reported, will be more appreciated by artists and based on my 25 years of Mac use in graphics and pre-press I am very excited about this.  

Apparently the pen is not only that. Everyone can draw with a pencil but as an artist you draw different. Just like that...

• Reply 120 of 180
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I suppose that depends on the size of the cells.
    So a standard stylus works with the Pro. Thanks Soli.

The other day someone here was tallying up how expensive the Pro might be once the necessary accessories were added in. Knowing a $5 stylus might be all that's needed depending on use case might make a difference. Or perhaps spend $5 to see if you need a stylus in the first place and if need be get the Apple Pencil once you've played some. They're in short supply right now anyway.