First look: Apple's iPad Pro with 12.9-inch Retina display

Posted:
in iPad edited November 2015
Apple's new iPad Pro is here, boasting 5.6 million pixels packed into its 12.9-inch Retina display, along with a powerful A9X processor that actually outclasses the new 12-inch MacBook. AppleInsider offers a first look at the jumbo-sized, top-of-the-line iPad.

For Wednesday's launch, we picked up a 128-gigabyte space grey iPad Pro, priced at $949. The new iPad also comes in silver and gold, while a 32-gigabyte capacity is priced at $799, and a top-of-the-line 128-gigabyte model with LTE radio is $1079.

Right out of the box, the iPad Pro is familiar, with a design essentially identical to that of the iPad Air 2 and latest iPad mini 4. But the 12.9-inch display make this tablet noticeably bigger and heftier than the iPad Air.

iPad Air 2 atop iPad Pro.

Even still, the iPad Pro weighs in at about the same weight as the 9.7-inch first-generation iPad, released more than five years ago.

Upon setting up the iPad Pro, users will perhaps first notice that the onscreen keyboard is now not only full-size, but also boasts a dedicated row of numbers above the QWERTY letters. In addition, it also gains new virtual keys for caps lock, tab, apostrophe, semicolon and colon, brackets, backslash, and more.

Top: iPad Air 2. Bottom: iPad Pro.

The four corners of the iPad Pro feature speakers that play stereo sound in any orientation. The speakers will dynamically switch accordingly as a user rotates the device, with the bottom to serving for deeper bass tones. The iPad Pro speakers are noticeably louder than the iPad Air 2.

The other, most significant change to the iPad Pro hardware is the new Smart Connector, located on the left side of the device when held in portrait mode. While Apple's new Pencil and Smart Keyboard weren't available in stores just yet, we were provided a Logitech Create keyboard, which is also compatible with the new Smart Connector.

Top: iPad Air 2. Bottom: iPad Pro.

Connecting and using the Logitech Create with the iPad Pro is literally a snap: After inserting the top half of the tablet into the protective case side of the keyboard in landscape mode, the Smart Connector on the bottom satisfyingly locks into place with a magnetic connection.

Though the iPad Pro and Create keyboard combo are expectedly top-heavy, the magnetic connection between the accessory and the tablet is strong and secure, and we were able to successfully use the combination on our lap.

Because the keyboard is powered by the iPad Pro, there is no need to set up a Bluetooth connection or turn the accessory on or off. As soon as it was connected, the iOS 9 keyboard went away, and the backlight on the Logitech physical keyboard turned on.

By default, the iPad Pro and iOS 9 do display a thin bar at the bottom of the screen for QuickType suggestions and other shortcuts, like adjusting fonts or inserting media in appropriate applications. These can be temporarily hidden by tapping an arrow in the bottom right of the screen.

At first test, it all works well. In fact, the entirety of this first-look was typed and published via the new iPad Pro with Logitech Create keyboard.

AppleInsider will have much more on the new iPad Pro, including our full review, in the coming days.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Right now the real competitor here looks like the MacBook. Similar size, different OS.

• Reply 2 of 36
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    just experienced one at the local store, and gad to leave before I bought one.
  • Reply 3 of 36

Well, was going to pick on up at the Apple store near me but the pencil is back-ordered for 4 weeks and I'm not buying it without the pencil.

• Reply 4 of 36
    Did anyone pick theirs up from an Apple Store? Do they have them on display yet?
  • Reply 5 of 36
    Got mine at the Apple Store this morning. They do not have any on display at this time.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    I heard iPad Pro A9X chip iis even faster than MB Pro and SF4.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    xzuxzu Posts: 139member

Just picked mine up from the Apple store. They are/were available, I ordered online and decided to pick it up rather than wait to get it on Friday. The keyboard was on display at the store... didn't get to do too much with it, but it was as I expected. 

It is enormous. Lighter than I thought it would be. The speakers sound very nice, compared to a normal iPad. It seems really fast. The screen is gorgeous. That is my review.

Pencil is backordered until first week of December. The store did not even have one to play with, I want the Pencil. 

• Reply 8 of 36
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,280member
    "Upon setting up the iPad Pro, users will perhaps first notice that the onscreen keyboard is now not only full-size, but also boasts a dedicated row of numbers above the QWERTY letters. In addition, it also gains new virtual keys for caps lock, tab, apostrophe, semicolon and colon, brackets, backslash, and more."

A photo of this would have been cool.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Did anyone pick theirs up from an Apple Store? Do they have them on display yet?

According to a couple posts over at macdailynews.com Apple stores have them now. One store in southern CA sold 200 in the first 30 minutes they were available. I think this product is going to sell better than most people think. It has the best screen and best speakers of any iOS device.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    mike1 wrote: »
    "Upon setting up the iPad Pro, users will perhaps first notice that the onscreen keyboard is now not only full-size, but also boasts a dedicated row of numbers above the QWERTY letters. In addition, it also gains new virtual keys for caps lock, tab, apostrophe, semicolon and colon, brackets, backslash, and more."

A photo of this would have been cool.
    via 9to5

• Reply 11 of 36

An interesting battle of 2 styli

Solo-mo video of pen input in both devices at 120 fps (4x slower)

Apple Pencil wins hands down with much better accuracy and much less latency.

• Reply 12 of 36
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    The lust factor is very high
  • Reply 13 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I think this product is going to sell better than most people think.

I'm feeling the same way.  Despite its high price, I think it will become a surprising impulse purchase for those with the means to buy it.  And during the Christmas season, people are inclined to spend.

• Reply 14 of 36
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

I heard iPad Pro A9X chip iis even faster than MB Pro and SF4.

From what I've read that is true for the GPU part (if you mean a MBP without dedicated graphcs, means excluding the top end 15" model), the CPU is enormously close, but not faster.

• Reply 15 of 36
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Placed my order this morning. Pencil on back order, of course.

The first Apple product I've bought on day 1 since the introduction of the PowerMac G5 back in 2003. That PowerMac turned out to be a great investment. I hope the iPad Pro ends up being the same.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

From what I've read that is true for the GPU part (if you mean a MBP without dedicated graphcs, means excluding the top end 15" model), the CPU is enormously close, but not faster.

Got a link to any benchmarks? I can't find any.

• Reply 17 of 36
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    While so many in tech circles are continuing the old cries of "you HAVE to have a 1990s-style computer, an iPad is right for NOBODY!"... more and more actual people have already switched to iPad, and the more size options there are, the faster that will keep happening.

As Benedict Evans recently pointed out, every new class of computing is derided as a toy, even as it slowly takes the place of what came before.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    Picked mine up this afternoon from Apple Store, having pre-ordered it this morning...
    I was surprised how many people were there picking them up, no lines, but in the hour I was there I seemed to see dozens of people picking them up...
    Annoying having to wait so long for the pencil, it was the pencil that made me want the iPad pro....
    They had about 4 iPad pros on demo, and They had one pencil on demo, which I played with for 5 mins....
    It's the closest thing to pen or pencil on paper than I have ever experienced, close enough even.
    I just used notes, the only annoyance (apart from not being abl to get a pencil today) was I could still draw with my. Finger, even with pencil enabled
    Hope they have a setting to disable that
    So far the experience of using a pro is incredible, very fast, lovely display, light!
  • Reply 19 of 36
    Thanks Mikey. I'd like to see a comparison between the Logi Create keyboard and the Apple iPad Pro keyboard.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    It has all the usability requirements: ease of use, physically light & easy to handle, touch, pencil, & keyboard entry capabilities (mouse would be nice for the PC generations).

The only thing(s) missing from this device are lots of enterprise mobile-adapted apps.

I expect that (horror, shock) IBM might have some apps up their sleeve - they seem to have got it - that Apple/Mobile is the future.