iPad Pro reviews: great hardware, but potential is limited thanks to iOS

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 180
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    spheric wrote: »
    But for the home user, who mostly surfs the web, books vacations, reads magazines, organizes and edits photos, creates and uploads the odd home movie, and maybe casually creates music, and writes the odd letter and such: Why do these people need a laptop?

Why? Because most of these tasks are a restrictive pain in the butt on an iPad compared to doing them on a Mac. Even just web surfing is an exponentially better experience in OS X when compared to iOS.
  • Reply 162 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Why? Because most of these tasks are a restrictive pain in the butt on an iPad compared to doing them on a Mac. Even just web surfing is an exponentially better experience in OS X when compared to iOS.

You don't use knife and fork to eat something when walking.

You don't use the mouse to browse the map when walking thanks to iPad.

This is what mobile computing in the 21st century is: Deskless computing...

• Reply 163 of 180
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member

You don't use knife and fork to eat something when walking.

You don't use the mouse to browse the map when walking thanks to iPad.

This is what mobile computing in the 21st century is: Deskless computing...

Agreed.
  • Reply 164 of 180
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

You're not getting the Adobe software that is designed for Mouse input on a touch device. Its just not happening. They have made what they feel is worth having on a touch display, and its already available. So, don't wait around for that.

And that ancient myth about proper file management makes you look ignorant. All of my important files on my Mac/PCs are stored in either iCloud Drive, Dropbox, or OneDrive. All of which are completely accessible on iPad.

Proper file management isn't an ancient myth... many graphics professionals have huge numbers of huge files that they need to organize and can't keep on those services you describe because of policy, etc... and there are plenty others.

• Reply 165 of 180
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Really? 

I find web browsing WAY nicer when it happens wherever I happen to be, rather than having to pull out the computer or go someplace (the studio) to do it. 

And the other tasks I mentioned — you haven't performed any of them on an iPad at any length, apparently. Editing images in iPhoto was a revelation. WAY better than editing them on a computer. Garageband is extremely cool on the iPad. Granted, I don't do these things extensively, but then, neither do most users.

• Reply 166 of 180

I picked one up, mainly for drawing and graphics. So far, I'm impressed but man-oh-man, I really think that Apple not having pencils ready to ship today was a big let down. I almost cancelled. I wanted to take this on a trip in a week or so. I hope, maybe the pencils will arrive y then. And no cases in the store except the back-of-the-pad ones. Again, kind of surprised that Apple wasn't ready to take all my money today.

• Reply 167 of 180
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Yes but we are talking about the iPad Pro where Pro means professional. 

I'm going to stop there, because you're pretending that this moniker has real meaning. 

The iMac is the de facto "pro" desktop for anything except the very high-end stuff. 

It really means nothing except "top end of the product line". That's all. 

• Reply 168 of 180
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macplusplus View Post

More than that... All mainstream software developers have committed to iPad: IBM, Microsoft, Autodesk, Adobe to name a few. Positioning the iPad as a household gadget doesn't explain that huge commitment from the software giants.

Tim Cook is right, with the help of software giants the iPad Pro competes head-to-head with laptops and desktop PCs...

Yes, but this isn't the case, yet. 

The tasks we perform with the platform will grow as the platform evolves. 

Sort of how Macs in the recording studio were initially purely controller machines and librarians, and then slowly took over actual recording duties (replacing tape), and then replaced patchbays, and then outboard processing altogether, and then hardware synths entirely…these things are all still around, and can and will never be entirely replaced (my studio is chock-full of vintage gear), but none of it is strictly needed any longer.

• Reply 169 of 180
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    So the general consensus is that the iPad Pro will be geared to very specific crowds like the Microsoft Surface and is the best iPad yet...I'm not quite sure what all the debate is about?

Traditional laptops will always have a place amongst those that need them, this is reality and that will never change. Tablets can and do replace the needs of people who only do light internet surfing and email and social media but those tend to be older individuals, but teens and young adults are using their smartphone for the aforementioned and do the major work on computers.

I honestly don't believe the Pro will sell that well. It will definitely move units in the millions without question but it's price puts it close MacBook Air territory. The everyday man will buy a cheaper iPad for just web consumption simply on price alone, and I think this device is more taking a shot at the market the Surface is in.
  • Reply 170 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

So the general consensus is that the iPad Pro will be geared to very specific crowds like the Microsoft Surface and is the best iPad yet...I'm not quite sure what all the debate is about?

Traditional laptops will always have a place amongst those that need them, this is reality and that will never change. Tablets can and do replace the needs of people who only do light internet surfing and email and social media but those tend to be older individuals, but teens and young adults are using their smartphone for the aforementioned and do the major work on computers.

I honestly don't believe the Pro will sell that well. It will definitely move units in the millions without question but it's price puts it close MacBook Air territory. The everyday man will buy a cheaper iPad for just web consumption simply on price alone, and I think this device is more taking a shot at the market the Surface is in.

I suggest you read this review. Sums it up nicely

http://daringfireball.net/2015/11/the_ipad_pro

"Anyone tying themselves in knots looking for a specific target audience for the iPad Pro is going about it the wrong way.  There is no single target audience.  Is the iPad Pro meant for office workers in the enterprise?  Professional artists creating content?  Casual users playing games, watching movies, and reading? The answer is simply "Yes".

• Reply 171 of 180
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aknabi View Post

Proper file management isn't an ancient myth... many graphics professionals have huge numbers of huge files that they need to organize and can't keep on those services you describe because of policy, etc... and there are plenty others.

Metadata solves all that. That's coming from someone with tens of terabyte of data and probably a several million files...

If file names, or file properties and well identified, you could just well put them anywhere and they'd still show up under the same view. The system can even cache views... There are a lot of things you assume that are easily doable. The physical file system (not the virtual one), is going to die soon for everyone. Just insuring you don't have 10 times the same or similar file accross 10 machines would be a godsend.

• Reply 172 of 180
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

Metadata solves all that. That's coming from someone with tens of terabyte of data and probably a several million files...

If file names, or file properties and well identified, you could just well put them anywhere and they'd still show up under the same view. The system can even cache views... There are a lot of things you assume that are easily doable. The physical file system (not the virtual one), is going to die soon for everyone. Just insuring you don't have 10 times the same or similar file accross 10 machines would be a godsend.

"The physical file system (not the virtual one), is going to die soon for everyone."

Pretty bold statement. What clues, or real world examples, do we have to be sure of that?

• Reply 173 of 180
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mark Fearing View Post

I picked one up, mainly for drawing and graphics. So far, I'm impressed but man-oh-man, I really think that Apple not having pencils ready to ship today was a big let down. I almost cancelled. I wanted to take this on a trip in a week or so. I hope, maybe the pencils will arrive y then. And no cases in the store except the back-of-the-pad ones. Again, kind of surprised that Apple wasn't ready to take all my money today.

I think the demand for the pencil was way way more than expected

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

"The physical file system (not the virtual one), is going to die soon for everyone."

Pretty bold statement. What clues, or real world examples, do we have to be sure of that?

The clue is where most people in the world have their data now... Not a physical file system.

• Reply 174 of 180
    iOs has a long ways to go before it can replace a laptop. Come on guys, try harder.
  • Reply 175 of 180
    toysandme wrote: »
    iOs has a long ways to go before it can replace a laptop. Come on guys, try harder.

Why does someone need a Windows laptop if all they want to do is run a web browser, mail, and some basic apps and games, like poker or solitaire? Those are the people that have been attracted to the iPad since it arrived in 2010. These are the people that only ever bought a desktop or notebook because the iPad didn't yet exist.
  • Reply 176 of 180

Can't wait to get mine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

I think the demand for the pencil was way way more than expected

The clue is where most people in the world have their data now... Not a physical file system.

- All my Office documents are stored in OneDrive. I can access them at home, work or on the road. From my PC, Mac or my iOS devices.

- At work all our technical documents/manuals are stored as PDF's on their servers and are downloaded as we need them (there are too many to keep on a local device anyway, and they are always getting updated).

- All my pictures I take go to iCloud where I can view them on my iOS devices or Mac/PC whenever I want. When I want to permanently archive them they go to OneDrive with the 5TB I get from my Office subscription, and are still available on my devices.

- There are only a few files I keep locally on my desktops (like my Outlook .pst file) and these are also backed up to OneDrive.

Most people don't need a file system like your typical C: drive. A lot of people bring it up as they're running out of things to bash iOS devices for and claim they aren't useful, especially by "professionals" or those that need to get "real work" done.

• Reply 177 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Ah, mixed messages are encouraged by Apple's executive leadership! That doesn't sound like a good plan to me but Apple knows a whole lot more about marketing than I do.

That's precisely the game Tim, Eddy and Apple Marketing are simultaneously playing... CEO and management type people will act quickly to adopt the Pro they way they did with the MacBook Air after that clever Manila folder demo by Steve Jobs. Once familiarity is established with the device, they will issue directives to their IT Admins and other minions to bring it in to the corporate network, prontamundo.

Meanwhile, creative professionals like music composers, photographers, graphic artists, designers and movie makers etc will need no marketing nudges - talk about preaching to the clergy. They'll be going for the device and the entire accessory caboodle from day one. Ditto for the medical, aviation and sales industries, who have led the corporate adoption of tablets since their advent.

Also notice how Apple's website is displaying the device without the keyboard or pencil - that's assuring "everyone else" that it's the familiar tablet that is known and loved - only faster, more capable and with greater viewing space. Consumers are gonna consume.

Geeks and techno types are still reeling from the early benchmark figures that show the Pro stacking up against Intel's Haswell i5 CPU's as found in MacBooks, MacBook Pro's and the Surface Pro 4. They know full well that the newer Skylake processors due in early 2016 will redress the shock upset (only for higher end devices, mark you), but they also realise that this A9+ custom chip is only a foretaste of next Summer's A10 blockbuster. Developers are wiping the drool off the front of their T-shrts, as they can almost feel full-blooded application development (code with the keyboard, test with touch and Pencil, yay!) coming to Tablet-land as well, making serious work available on a plane, train or cruise ship.

Far-sighted users will realise that this is Apple's first, opening salvo across the bows of the desktop world, whose days are slowly being numbered weighted and measured.

Mene, Mene, Tekel, Upharsin - the writing's on the Wall of the Garden.

• Reply 178 of 180
    Quote:

Originally Posted by airmanchairman View Post

That's precisely the game Tim, Eddy and Apple Marketing are simultaneously playing... CEO and management type people will act quickly to adopt the Pro they way they did with the MacBook Air after that clever Manila folder demo by Steve Jobs. Once familiarity is established with the device, they will issue directives to their IT Admins and other minions to bring it in to the corporate network, prontamundo.

Meanwhile, creative professionals like music composers, photographers, graphic artists, designers and movie makers etc will need no marketing nudges - talk about preaching to the clergy. They'll be going for the device and the entire accessory caboodle from day one. Ditto for the medical, aviation and sales industries, who have led the corporate adoption of tablets since their advent.

Also notice how Apple's website is displaying the device without the keyboard or pencil - that's assuring "everyone else" that it's the familiar tablet that is known and loved - only faster, more capable and with greater viewing space. Consumers are gonna consume.

Geeks and techno types are still reeling from the early benchmark figures that show the Pro stacking up against Intel's Haswell i5 CPU's as found in MacBooks, MacBook Pro's and the Surface Pro 4. They know full well that the newer Skylake processors due in early 2016 will redress the shock upset (only for higher end devices, mark you), but they also realise that this A9+ custom chip is only a foretaste of next Summer's A10 blockbuster. Developers are wiping the drool off the front of their T-shrts, as they can almost feel full-blooded application development (code with the keyboard, test with touch and Pencil, yay!) coming to Tablet-land as well, making serious work available on a plane, train or cruise ship.

Far-sighted users will realise that this is Apple's first, opening salvo across the bows of the desktop world, whose days are slowly being numbered weighted and measured.

Mene, Mene, Tekel, Upharsin - the writing's on the Wall of the Garden.

If I understand correctly, the the Core i5 in the SP4 is an Intel Skylake processor, not Haswell.  The new MBA / MBP use Broadwell CPU's.

• Reply 179 of 180
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

iOS is only limited to those who grew up in the mouse/Microsoft world.

For people under 25 the ipad Pro is the laptop for those who never owned a laptop.

Admit it.  The laptop is dying along with the older generation.  Its up to software makers to realize this and start building serious software for iOS.  Apple has provided the hardware now.

Ordered for pickup today:  128GB gold Wifi

haters can hate. They hate what they don't and will never understand.

I'm 27 and am an iOS developer.  I love Appleinsider but I found your post so offensive I decided to join just to counter you.  From your posts across several of the articles on the iPad Pro I have found you to be very offensive with your views.  There is no need to be so abusive just because people don't share your views on the iPad Pro.  Treat people with respect regardless of age, gender or race and people will respect your point of view more.

In regard to your comment on the laptop dying.  I would ask your use case for this assumption?