WTB: Good headphones

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Anyone got a good pair of headphones they're willing to part with for about $40? I've been reading around and read some stuff here saying that the Grado sr60's are the best for the money, but they're pricy new, so I'm willing to settle for something a little cheaper. If no one's got any for sale, maybe some recommendations for my budget would be good. TIA.

-t

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    If you'd be willing to put a little extra money into it... you can grab a set of monitor headphones...

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1376430298"; target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1376430298</a>;

They have the most accurate reproduction of sound in my opinion, and there is a reason you find these things by the dozen in post houses and recording studios.

They'll also last you a long time
  • Reply 2 of 13
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by M3D Jack:

<strong>If you'd be willing to put a little extra money into it... you can grab a set of monitor headphones...

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1376430298"; target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1376430298</a>;

They have the most accurate reproduction of sound in my opinion, and there is a reason you find these things by the dozen in post houses and recording studios.

They'll also last you a long time </strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks for the link. Are they that good? How much do you think these are worth?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Look for the Sony MDR-V6 (not V600), they are $50 cheaper than the 7506 (new) and are identical to them (except they have a nickle plated plug)...
  • Reply 4 of 13
    eskimoeskimo Posts: 474member
    Best cheap headphones in my opinion are the Grado SR-60s and the Sennheiser 495s. I have the Senn's which I picked up for about $100 someplace which now eludes me. Only reason I went with them over the Grado's is I found they are more comfortable to wear over the long term.

More in your price range are the Senn 490s which look very similar to the 495s but are somewhat inferior in comparison to the 495. They are still very good headphones though and you should be able to find them for around $40-$50

The Senn's do have a weaker bass if that is very important to you, but has great mids. Grado's have slightly better sound overall and are better suited for rock type music. You should be able to find SR-60s brand new for $60.

Check out audioreview.com for reviews of various models.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Thanks for all the advice, guys. I decided that I would try to stay in my budget, so the studio monitors were out. Maybe when I get out of grad school.... So, Eskimo, I took your advice, read up on the senns and found a new pair on ebay for $40. The HD495s. Right inside the ol' budget (of course, shipping is $10, so ) Thanks again.

edit: woo hoo! 1000 posts! No. That's not right. boo hoo is what I meant. :/

[ 08-28-2002: Message edited by: torifile ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Ok, now I'm torn. I found a place that has the grado's for $60, free shipping. So grado or senn? I'm going to be using them with my iPod or powerbook mostly. Musical tastes will vary, but there will be a high degree of alternative (think grunge), jazz and some moby-style techno. Also lots of live music (again, alternative stuff). Opinions on either of these? Or, if you've got a pair that you're willing to part with....
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Funny, the picture on eBay of the MDR-7506's has the cord coming out the right side, but on my pair (and I think all) it comes off the left ear. Go figure.

-- PEte
  • Reply 8 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by chych:

<strong>Look for the Sony MDR-V6 (not V600), they are $50 cheaper than the 7506 (new) and are identical to them (except they have a nickle plated plug)...</strong><hr></blockquote>

I was under the impression that the 7506 had a gold-plated plug and the V600 had silver-plated ones. The response of silver plated ones aren't as good, but i heard there's a particular frequency where the gold plates are "weird"...

Otherwise, as mentioned above, get the MDR-V6, SR-60, or HD-495.

I think HD-495 is the cheapest new, check shopping.yahoo.com

495 might be a little harder to drive than the V6, but if you are only using it for your computer or iPod, it's fine.

MDR-V6 is closed, which means you won't disturb people around you and less disturbance from them as well...very analytical is the general impression...
  • Reply 9 of 13
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Grado's are uncomfortable-period. Felt like the side of my head was being scratched off. The SONY V6's are good only if you like loud pounding bass-which I personally don't like. I am going to next try Koss Pro-4AA. They are about $80 or less at J and R Music World-can be ordered online. I've read good things about this model. Go to Google and type in "Koss Pro-4AA review". You'll read some stuff on them...................................
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Have to disagree with you, steve666. I have the Grado SR-125 headset ($250), and I find it quite comfortable, alot more comfortable than the Sony MDR-700 (or whatever the model-number is) set, the older Sony '380's, and the Sennheiser set I once had (my cat found 'em and had some fun).

I admit the set is not very comfortable the 1st week, in fact, no headset I've tried is (I have pretty big ears), but when the ears get used to wearing it, it's more than OK
  • Reply 11 of 13
    The grado 125 is more comfortable than their cheaper models. The 80 was so bad I had to return it................................................ .
  • Reply 12 of 13
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]Originally posted by steve666:

<strong>The grado 125 is more comfortable than their cheaper models. The 80 was so bad I had to return it................................................ .</strong><hr></blockquote>

The 125s are almost exactly like the cheaper models. Only when you get up to the RS models is there a slight change in comfort.

It took me two weeks to get used to my SR-60s, but I can wear them for hours without having my ears feel raw now.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>

The 125s are almost exactly like the cheaper models. Only when you get up to the RS models is there a slight change in comfort.

It took me two weeks to get used to my SR-60s, but I can wear them for hours without having my ears feel raw now.</strong><hr></blockquote>

My bad. I would've given the SR80's more time to get comfortable but the sound wasn't so good that I wanted to wait. I already have a pair of sennheiser classics that sound fine. The Koss is going to be my next try.................................