Apple's new iPad Pro is faster, more affordable than Microsoft's Surface Pro 4

17810121317

Comments

  • Reply 181 of 324
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Njoi Fontes View Post

     

    Congratulations, you just won the "Dumbest comment of the week" award. If you can't see how vital it is for a professional to have ports that allow connection to peripherals (not to mention the obvious ability of being able to plug in a pen drive or external hard drive when needed), or being able to expand the extremely limited storage of the device (yes even 128 gb is limited) or not having to pay a ridiculous amount for more storage. And then you outdo yourself by saying that a mobile OS doesn't matter when you have apps... you seem to not even being able to grasp the difference between a mobile OS and a real OS. Let me give you a clue : File management, proper enterprise security, virtual machine, etc etc.




    I wanted to agree with you, but you went off the deep end almost immediately. 

     

    I'm a professional, both a lawyer and computer scientist. My kind of professions, which I think would be in the majority, have no need for the kind of peripheral extensions or the even the memory expansion you suggest. The requirement for a VM is quite off the wall. 

     

    Yes, for security (which it has), yes for file management. Not mentioned but most important is ability to stream among processes. For an active IT development, use of multiple programming languages. 

  • Reply 182 of 324
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

     
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechLover View Post



    I find it hard to believe that thousands of people grinding away at their jobs day-in and day-out at Apple Inc. could do their jobs with only an iPad Pro and their iPhone.



    They likely need full blown OSX computers.



    Just a thought, again I don't know and could be totally wrong.




    drop the straw man -- nobody believes or has stated that an iPad is going to replace ALL LAPTOPS FOR ALL PEOPLE ZOMG!!! jesus. its remains as Jobs said -- some people need trucks, most people need cars. those of us working in enterprise IT will require trucks for some time to come, duh.



    but my family only need cars.

    I made a direct comparison relating to the corporate world, which was the topic of original post that was made.

     

    You then proceed to conflate that to "your family".

     

    "straw man"? Puh-lease.

     

    Read the posts again. I made no "straw man" argument. I said nothing close to what your brain concluded.

     

    Sure, "your family" might only need cars. That is fair enough, but "your family" is not the corporate world. Which is what the original point was about, the Fortune 50 corporate world.

     

    EDIT: Here is the full string for your reference:

     

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gumbi View Post

     

     

    Do any of you actually work in an enterprise?  Do you know how much custom software - much of it legacy - a typical large enterprise runs?  I work for a fortune 50  company and I can tell you we have hundreds of web applications (probably thousands, but, this just the small part of the company I am aware of) that can't be used on an ipad at all.  Sites that require flash or Silverlight or java - or some ie specific behavior.  Sure, we are trying to change that with new applications to make them more mobile friently - but, that doesn't do anything for all those hundreds of legacy 1st and 3rd party web applications that are used every day to get real work done.  It will take a lot of time and most importantly lots of dollars to convert those legacy apps - making those conversions very much a non-priority for management.  And I didn't even mention the hundreds of custom windows desktop applications.  

     

    The only users that use iPads are basically management types - who spend the majority of their day in meetings and reading/sending email and looking at dashboards. 


     

    Then you work in a backwards company.

     

    That your IT department has lagged so far behind in mobile shows a lack of vision and strategic planning.  Your competitors that do have mobile already intergrated in their work flow will or have already blown you guys out of the water.


    I don't work for a large corporation like say... Apple Inc. So I can't really speak to this.

     

    Apple is not a backwards company, far from it.

     

    Yet I find it hard to believe that thousands of people grinding away at their jobs day-in and day-out at Apple Inc. could do their jobs with only an iPad Pro and their iPhone.

     

    They likely need full blown OSX computers.

     

    Just a thought, again I don't know and could be totally wrong.

  • Reply 183 of 324
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bkkcanuck View Post

     

     

    Well if the iPad Pro sells 2.5 million units this month.... that is still probably more than half the volume Microsoft has for the Surface in a complete year.....  I would consider that a success for a niche product that the iPad Pro was aimed for.




    In the end developers are going not decide if the iPad takes over the Laptop. There is nothing to truly indicate that is going to happen right now with iPad sales declining. I would agree the iPad Pro is a niche product. For business use the iPad needs either one of two things, a more robust iOS or OS X installed on it. 

  • Reply 184 of 324
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

    Stop it.  This is not a laptop.  You old dinosaurs think everything needs to have a mouse or trackpad.  




    First I'm far from a dinosaur and your comments are so immature clearly what you do for a living if anything doesn't require high end tools. Taking your hands off a keyboard to touch a screen does not provide a better user experience. Also there is no trackpad because iOS can't support it not because Apple is going in a different direction.

  • Reply 185 of 324
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

    WRONG.  Since the release of the iPad Apple sold over 200,000,000 iPads and half a billion tablets are being sold every year.  PC and laptop sales are going down every single year.  So the predicitons about the iPad were correct.

     

    You are showing your ignorance. 

     

    You have no idea how many iPad Pros were made for launch.  In my area they were all sold out by yesterday afternnoon.  That's insane for a device that cost over $1,000.

     

    Stop with the nonsense.  You don't even own an iPad Pro.




    Why don't you stop with the nonsense you are giving opinion and trying to state it as fact. Every post you have in this thread shows your lack of maturity, business experience and education. Thankfully we have about 45 days left to read your nonsense. Which by the way is another indicator of your predictions. 

  • Reply 186 of 324
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

     



    In the end developers are going not decide if the iPad takes over the Laptop. There is nothing to truly indicate that is going to happen right now with iPad sales declining. I would agree the iPad Pro is a niche product. For business use the iPad needs either one of two things, a more robust iOS or OS X installed on it. 


    The iPad Pro is only niche in that next year the main (non-niche) iPad Air 3 will come out incorporating much of the new technology into the standard sized iPads....  iPad sales are still very sizable....  I agree with Tim Cook it has more to do with the upgrade cycle with iPads being longer, and the eventual iPad Air 3 will be the first test of that theory since the advancements for that model are the first real reason to upgrade faster.   

  • Reply 187 of 324
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bkkcanuck View Post

     

     I agree with Tim Cook it has more to do with the upgrade cycle with iPads being longer...


    That doesn't explain why Mac sales are increasing while iPad sales are decreasing. Is the Mac on a shorter upgrade cycle? Perhaps. Macs are more often used for heavy lifting so people want to upgrade them. iPad use is more casual so even the older ones are still adequate for the average user.

     

    It would be interesting to know what percentage of Mac sales are to first time Mac users.

  • Reply 188 of 324
    Congratulations, you just won the "Dumbest comment of the week" award. If you can't see how vital it is for a professional to have ports that allow connection to peripherals (not to mention the obvious ability of being able to plug in a pen drive or external hard drive when needed), or being able to expand the extremely limited storage of the device (yes even 128 gb is limited) or not having to pay a ridiculous amount for more storage. And then you outdo yourself by saying that a mobile OS doesn't matter when you have apps... you seem to not even being able to grasp the difference between a mobile OS and a real OS. Let me give you a clue : File management, proper enterprise security, virtual machine, etc etc.

    Im calling you on this BS. I work in a Fortune 100 firm, and there tens of thousands of PCs running Windows deployed on every desk. Each is locked down. You can't use USB drives for security reasons (injecting malware, stealing confidential information), and software is installed to prevent that. You can't install your own software without written approval from your VP and Security, and approved apps are deployed using a central network tool that tracks licenses. The company would replace every PC with locked-down Windows RDP network terminals (remember the "network computer"?) that only lets you login to a Windows Terminal Services machine and forces you use a virtualized desktop, if these were readily available from their hardware vendor. So it's no surprise they love iPads, because iOS is very restrictive and secure, and it can run Microsoft's RDP client. And iPads are given to managers. Storage doesn't matter because you're not allowed to install apps the company hasn't approved.

    As far as I'm concerned, what you call "proper enterprise security" and "real OS" and "limited storage" smells like more uninformed hand-waving from someone who has no idea what large enterprise wants.
  • Reply 189 of 324
    gumbigumbi Posts: 148member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post





    Sounds like "basically management types" are way ahead then.



    Flash? Silverlight? Java? Oh yeah, something to be real proud of.

     

    No one is proud of it - but, it is the reality of corporate it.  Those are legacy applications - applications that were developed a decade ago but are still vital to business.  Again, resources are not infinite and priorities have to be set.  Some, have been updated, some will be updated - eventually, some will never.  Same reason many institutions still hire COBOL programmers.  The world is not a perfect place.

  • Reply 190 of 324
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

    You said the iPad Pro is too expensive.  What are you comparing it to?

     

    In response to your assertion that the iPad Pro is too expensive I showed you what the extra $250 gets in comparision to the Air2 (better screen, better sound, better CPU, better RAM).

     

    So are you saying the Air2 is too expensive also?

     

    I priced an iPad Pro 128GB Wifi and bough it for $949.  IMO, that is not too expensive.  I have no use in buying a keyboard, nor Apple care (Apple makes quality stuff), nor Cell (simply teether to my iPhone)




    What am I comparing it too? I'm comparing my weighted functionality needs/wants/would like to haves to cost. And I'm looking at the same for my iPad Air2 that I already own, and my MBP 17" (2011), and MBP 13" (2013). The additional functionality of pen, increased size is quite tempting, but it doesn't quite justify the immediate cost.

     

    If Apple had offered a similar financing deal for the iPad Pro that they did for the iPhone 6S, that might have tilted me the other way. 

  • Reply 191 of 324
    Wow. Article about the FACT that the A9X is a smoking fast processor that outperforms many laptops (which is, after all, what Apple claimed during the announcement).

    And instead of discussing the processor the comments have gone completely off the wall in an effort to criticize the iPad Pro. How does one get from discussing processor performance to talking about BMs, COBOL, outdated enterprise systems or coding?


    BTW, did anyone see the slo-mo video of the Surface Pro 4 vs iPad Pro for stylus latency? The Surface is very fast, but the iPad Pro is even faster. Not by a huge amount, but it's faster. And the comments section is alive with all sorts of theories as haters try to understand why the iPad does so well. Sort of like here.
  • Reply 192 of 324
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member

    BTW, did anyone see the slo-mo video of the Surface Pro 4 vs iPad Pro for stylus latency? The Surface is very fast, but the iPad Pro is even faster. Not by a huge amount, but it's faster. And the comments section is alive with all sorts of theories as haters try to understand why the iPad does so well. Sort of like here.

    That video was very interesting. It would now be nice to see just how well palm rejection works. If it is 100% accurate then that would make this new iPad the tablet many of us have been waiting for. My only concern is the size and weight. I hope Apple brings Pencil to iPad Air size devices. Nevertheless, the Pro is very exciting. Am not attracted by the use in landscape mode. The Surface stand seems more appropriate for spreadsheet users but as a tablet the Pro just made my day. A 4:3 aspect ratio, hopefully perfect writing, future oriented platform.
  • Reply 193 of 324
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    deleted
  • Reply 194 of 324
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post





    dude, we've all heard your troll tropes a hundred times -- "No expandable storage!" "No file system!" "It's a toy OS!" your kind has been bemoaning the same old shit for thirty years. and you're wrong, every time.



    nobody claims that cars are for every single person on earth. some people need trucks. but if you look at the original Mac, which similar trolls bemoaned as a toy computer lacking in ports, you'll see that it evolved over the years into both cars & trucks...just as iOS and iPad is evolving. the car use case is first.



    dumbest comment award? try your 5-post history.



    Since you seem unable to let go of this ridiculous car truck analogy... It would be more accurate to say that comparing an ipad to a surface pro is more like comparing a bicycle to a car. Sure some people will be fine with a bicycle but you won't get far when compared with a car. Also the funnies thing of all is that apple is changing car price for its bicycle.

     

    My kind has been right for thirty years then, since in enterprise and for any real professional that does more than read emails and type an ocasional simple document uses a proper computer and not an ipad. Sorry you have no real argument and are just grasping at straws.

  • Reply 195 of 324
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,096member

    Since your Steve jobs worshiping empty head seems unable to let go of this ridiculous car truck analogy...
    It's both inappropriate and against forum rules to resort to personal attacks, ie "your SJ worshiping empty head" comment. As you're new here you might not realize that just a few instances of doing that gets you banned. If you want to stick around a enjoy the conversations you should resist the urge to "ad-hom" your way thru. You won't last long here otherwise. Absolutely no reason to fall into playground rules on a professional site.
  • Reply 196 of 324
    Wow, I've been waiting to see the benchmarks for the iPad Pro after Apple's performance claims. I'm really impressed with the results! It's really all about the apps though. I wonder how developers will take advantage of the extra power.
  • Reply 197 of 324
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

    Apple has sold over 200,000,000 iPads since release.

    Over 2 billion tablets have been sold.

     

    Laptops and PC's have been selling less and less every year.  Their revenue is shrinking even faster.  If it wasn't for Macbook the entire industry would basically be a zero profit game.  

     

    Bottom line is the cars (iPad) are replacing a ton of trucks.  The facts are the facts.  Deal with it.




    Were replacing, that trend could easily reverse. When the iPad 2 was released consumers were lined up around Apple Stores to get one, don't see anyone lined up to get an iPad Pro. If Apple has updated the Air 2 with he same processor and ram, they would have sold even less Pros and Apple knows it. 

  • Reply 198 of 324
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

    Apple has sold over 200,000,000 iPads since release.

    Over 2 billion tablets have been sold.

     

    Laptops and PC's have been selling less and less every year.  Their revenue is shrinking even faster.  If it wasn't for Macbook the entire industry would basically be a zero profit game.  

     

    Bottom line is the cars (iPad) are replacing a ton of trucks.  The facts are the facts.  Deal with it.thT?


    There are currently more than 1.5 billion PC's running windows alone at the moment so... what was your point again? Classic PC's as in desktops are definitely on the decline, but that is only because they are being replaced by hybrids like the surface which for some reason aren't counted in the stats. IPad's are selling less and less each year as well by the way, and devices like the surface continue and will for some time to sell more and more. They represent the future while limited devices like the iPad (bicycle) and going to go the way of the dodo in the next few years.

  • Reply 199 of 324
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post





    It's both inappropriate and against forum rules to resort to personal attacks, ie "your SJ worshiping empty head" comment. As you're new here you might not realize that just a few instances of doing that gets you banned. If you want to stick around a enjoy the conversations you should resist the urge to "ad-hom" your way thru. You won't last long here otherwise. Absolutely no reason to fall into playground rules on a professional site.

    Fair enough

  • Reply 200 of 324
    :rolleyes:
    richl wrote: »
    A device can have all the power in the world but it's redundant if it doesn't run the software you want to use.

    The Surface Pro (a successful, profitable product by anyone's metrics but Apple's) has its place in the market. If you want to run full-fat Photoshop, Illustrator or Office then it's a great choice. Personally, I'd rather use an iPad Pro but that's because I'm not tied to any piece of Windows software.

    I see a lot of Surface Pros in London. They're usually carried by people in suits rather than people in hoodies though.
    But Angry Birds is ultra smooth.
Sign In or Register to comment.