Apple features 'amazing' apps and games for iPad Pro in iOS App Store

Posted:
in iPad edited November 2015
One day after launching its extra large iPad Pro, Apple is throwing a spotlight on apps that take advantage of the tablet's massive 12.9-inch Retina display, titles compatible with Apple Pencil, "desktop-class" software, games and more.

Apple introduced two new iPad Pro-centric categories to the iOS App Store's carousel on Thursday. "Amazing Apps for iPad Pro" covers general app genres like productivity, art and utilities, while a smaller selection of "Great Games for iPad Pro" highlights titles that put an emphasis on presentation.

At the top of "Amazing Apps" is a list of software boasting built-in support for the -- currently unavailable -- Apple Pencil including uMake, Procreate and Paper. Apple's own iWork suite sits next to Microsoft's productivity apps in the desktop-class apps section, while "Powerful Multitasking" offers a variety of choices including popular titles Curator and Todoist.

Of particular interest to artistic users is a selection of photography and videography apps like iMovie, Adobe Photoshop Fix and Enlight, all well-suited to for editing on iPad Pro's large canvas. "Better with a Bigger Screen" and "Immersive Experiences" include a smattering of miscellaneous titles like Netflix, iTunes U and Sky Guide, the latter of which was recently featured in Apple's first iPad Pro ad.

Apple splits "Great Games" into three subcategories, one for visually impressive games, another touting those with "Fantastic Sounds" and a third catchall list mainly comprised of former Editors' Choice titles and App Store chart toppers. Most of these curated games -- Shadowmatic, The Room Three, Badland, among others -- were previously featured as standout iPhone titles.

The iPad Pro launched shortly after midnight on Wednesday alongside the new Apple Pencil stylus and Smart Keyboard. While all tablet models were available for same-day in-store pickup, estimated delivery times for both accessories started out at one week. Apple has since sold through most of its launch day allotment of 128GB iPad Pros, though 32GB models can be found at many brick-and-mortar Apple Store locations nationwide. Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard orders continue to pile up, with current ship-by dates pegged at 4 to 5 weeks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I WANT MY PENCIL, AND I WANT IT NOW!
  • Reply 2 of 30
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

You gotta love the "Enhanced for Apple Pencil" section.  (Apple Pencil not included.  Lead time to order online: 4-5 weeks.)

• Reply 3 of 30

Here's a tip:  don't ever make business plans that hinge upon technology (i.e. the Apple Pencil) that is not already in your possession.

• Reply 4 of 30
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member

I know its just been released, but as the iPad Pro is considered more of a professional device than other iPads, I think Apple will ultimately drop the 32GB version at some point in the near future for a more appropriate minimum capacity.

• Reply 5 of 30
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    But but 32GB version is available everywhere. Apple is doomed!
    Be honest, 32GB for iPad Pro is a joke. I know corporates may just use 32GB version, but damn, iPad apps take so much space. Should've been 64GB and 128GB.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by radiospace View Post

Here's a tip:  don't ever make business plans that hinge upon technology (i.e. the Apple Pencil) that is not already in your possession.

you mean a product soooo good, people will buy till instantly and it will be out of stock for weeks?

That has "never" (sic) happened with any apple product in the past... NEVER... (big sarcasm sign for people that need it)

I think people WILL wait 100% sure and those apps will do fine, real fine...

In fact, the buzz is pretty big right now, much bigger than I ever thought it would be.

• Reply 7 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

I know its just been released, but as the iPad Pro is considered more of a professional device than other iPads, I think Apple will ultimately drop the 32GB version at some point in the near future for a more appropriate minimum capacity.

The 32GB is for people that "arent pros" who will buy it. If your a pro, you won't mind paying the measly few bucks more for more capacity.

• Reply 8 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

You gotta love the "Enhanced for Apple Pencil" section.  (Apple Pencil not included.  Lead time to order online: 4-5 weeks.)

Well, I'm pretty sure they had made a pretty big batch. That just means it was way way more popular than they expected.

• Reply 9 of 30
    If you download a video file (movie or TV episode) to the iPad Pro -- from iTunes or any other service that supports downloading -- is the file size larger because of the higher resolution on iPad Pro?

Ultimately I'm wondering about iPad Pro's storage capacity to store a library of such videos locally (vs. streaming).
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Im tired of the word amazing and it's overuse by Tim Cook and others. You know what is amazing? The trouble apple is in concerning their stock price. It is going to pull the msft flatline for the next decade at best.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    ncil49 wrote: »
    Im tired of the word amazing and it's overuse by Tim Cook and others. You know what is amazing? The trouble apple is in concerning their stock price. It is going to pull the msft flatline for the next decade at best.

While I agree the price of AAPL is ludicrous, it is hardly Apple's fault. I'd draw your attention tho this:

http://fortune.com/2015/06/11/fortune-500-most-profitable-companies/
  • Reply 12 of 30
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    But but 32GB version is available everywhere. Apple is doomed!
    Be honest, 32GB for iPad Pro is a joke. I know corporates may just use 32GB version, but damn, iPad apps take so much space. Should've been 64GB and 128GB.

No more of a joke than 16GB on other iOS devices. Of course it's patently obvious why Schiller aka Apple is doing this: upsell. If there's a way Schiller can get you to spend more money he'll do it.

There may be uses cases with business or education that don't need more than 16 or 32 GB. Fine then do BTO for those customers. And even if there are general consumers that don't need more so what? It's better for people to have more storage than they need than to run out of space.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    foggyhill wrote: »
    Well, I'm pretty sure they had made a pretty big batch. That just means it was way way more popular than they expected.

No, the thing was back ordered from the minute it went on sale. Started out at 1-2 weeks and quickly jumped to 4-5 weeks. As far as I know very few if any stores had the pencil or keyboard available for sale on Wednesday. This is what Apple told Mashable:

"Customers are very excited for iPad Pro, Apple Pencil and the Smart Keyboard,” an Apple spokesperson told Mashable. “We have limited supply of Apple Pencil and the Smart Keyboard in Apple Retail stores. Our stores will continue to receive regular shipments and we encourage customers to visit Apple.com for online availability and delivery dates.”
  • Reply 14 of 30
    ncil49 wrote: »

have you contacted Tim Cook to let him know? do it soon!
  • Reply 15 of 30
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Are you stomping your feet and crying to mommy too?

• Reply 16 of 30
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    radiospace wrote: »
    I hope that goes without saying for most business users. If you know anything about technology you know that if it is not in you possession and fully installed and in working order, it is nothing but wishful thinking.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    sandorsandor Posts: 655member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ncil49 View Post

why do you think apple is buying back stock? and google is creating new companies?

the idea that companies should shape their companies around shareholders is not one i agree with. there is far too much emotion & games in the market in the 21st century.

• Reply 18 of 30
    melgross wrote: »

One wonders why so few Pencils were made, relative to the device which was mainly touted as a product designed to feature said Pencil!

Maybe most of the Pencils already manufactured were promised to partners like IBM?
  • Reply 19 of 30
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Edited my original post to say this:

I just tweeted Angela Ahrendts. Hopefully her secretaries get the message in short character count. Here's the long version:

Low Pencil availability is odd. What else is odd: the Apple Store I went to had two iPad Pro units completely without power for the first two/three hours I spent there. I actually walked away from the iPads for a while to let other people try out "mine" from the two working units for a while, since I had gotten some good time with them and saw two or three groups of people come and go without getting a chance to try one. Had these other customers been more determined/disappointed-looking, I'd have given over the one I was testing, but they didn't seem super motivated.

Two out of four iPad Pro units dead, two Pencils for four iPads. Bad job, Apple Store.

By the time I wandered back to the iPads from looking at new iPhones, the store employees (several of which had already seen the disabled iPads hours before) had finally gotten them powered. Looks like no one takes ownership over there. (Lehigh Valley Mall store in northeast, PA)

Another confusing choice: the graphics apps. Out of all of the apps on the iPad Pro demo units, only ONE had Pencil support. Adobe Sketch. There was no Procreate. Pixelmator was an older version and was SLOW as tar (and missing many brushes in the "demo edition"). Paper by 53 had no Pencil support. The inking app I can't recall the name of had no Pencil support. I stood there and looked up each of the art apps on the App Store to confirm that there were indeed newer versions available with Pencil support, but Apple did NOT have those versions installed.

The second of the two apps I used to test the Pencil was Apple's own Notes app. It's good that they bothered to put that much effort into Pencil support in Notes. But the Adobe app saved Apple the sale. I think Adobe has gone to crap, but their app saved the day.

Lucky for Apple, that was enough to tell me the product is something I indeed want. But they need to do better.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    dysamoria wrote: »
    Low Pencil availability is confusing, indeed. What else is confusing: the Apple Store I went to had two iPad Pro units completely without power for the first two to three hours I spent there. I actually walked away from the iPads for a while to let other people try out the two working units for a while, since I had gotten some good time with them and saw two or three groups of people come and go without getting a chance to try one. Had they been more determined or disappointed looking, I'd have given over the one I was testing, but they didn't seem super motivated. By the time I wandered back from looking at new iPhones, the store employees (several of which had already seen the disabled iPads) had finally gotten them powered. Looks like no one takes ownership over there. (Lehigh Valley Mall store in northeast, PA)

Another confusing choice: the graphics apps. Out of all of the apps on the iPad Pro from units, only one had Pencil support. Adobe Sketch. There was no Procreate. Pixelmator was an older version and was SLOW as tar, and was missing many brushes in the "demo edition". The inking app I can't recall the name of had no Pencil support. I stood there and looked up each of the art apps on the App Store to confirm that there were indeed newer versions available with Pencil support, but Apple did NOT have those versions installed.

The second of the two apps I used to even test the Pencil was Apple's own Notes app. It's good that they bothered to put that much effort into Pencil support in Notes.

Lucky for Apple, that was enough to tell me the product is something I indeed want. But they need to do better.

Send an email or call Angela Ahrendts to voice your concerns. I'm sure she'd be VERY interested to hear about this particular location.