iPad Pro contains USB 3.0 controller, hints at ultra-fast Lightning connector

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    konqerror wrote: »
    Impossible idea. That would require 4 separate codecs and speaker power amps.  Plus 192 kHz * 24 bit = 4.6 mbit/s. Not even a single USB 1.0 link per speaker. Even if you wanted a internal digital speaker link, you'd do I2S or MIPI SoundWire for far lower power.

I wasn't referring to the bandwidth needed and I don't understand why you think it would need 4 discreet codecs when we're talking about speaker channels.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Official USB3 support would make so much sense on the iPad Pro. With that speed you could probably use it as a no latency, lightly compressed, or even uncompressed(?) drawing tablet for your Mac. Also external disk support for video editing would be gold.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    palegolas wrote: »
    Official USB3 support would make so much sense on the iPad Pro. With that speed you could probably use it as a no latency, lightly compressed, or even uncompressed(?) drawing tablet for your Mac. Also external disk support for video editing would be gold.

Maybe they are waiting for new Macs with Skylake and USB-C to be introduced, at which time they'll announced a Lightning-to-USB-C cable that will allow your iPad Pro to sync faster and offer an update that will let it be used natively like a Wacom digitizer.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    appexappex Posts: 687member

Bring Thunderbolt 3 and USB 3.1 Type C (reversible) Generation 2 ports to all iOS devices once and for all, for decent file sharing using pendrives. As well as a decent and accesible file system. Stop files-applications sandboxing. And jailing. Otherwise, it is a deal breaker.

• Reply 25 of 41
    appex wrote: »
    Bring Thunderbolt 3 and USB 3.1 Type C (reversible) Generation 2 ports to all iOS devices once and for all, for decent file sharing using pendrives. As well as a decent and accesible file system. Stop files-applications sandboxing. And jailing. Otherwise, it is a deal breaker.

So you want Apple to drop their A-series chips for Intel chips and increase malware, spyware and viruses into iOS. We'll call you.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I wasn't referring to the bandwidth needed and I don't understand why you think it would need 4 discreet codecs when we're talking about speaker channels.

Because speaker drivers are analogue devices.  USB carries audio digitally encoded so you would need a dedicated D/A converter / analogue amplifier pair for each speaker you wanted to drive independently.

• Reply 27 of 41

I think the reason you won't see USB-C on iPad is that Apple is trying to differentiate it from a Mac or PC both of which have file systems accessible to the user. You might see them switch the other side of the Lightning connector, to USB-C, but not on the device itself...

• Reply 28 of 41
    As an experienced Apple early adopter, when they finally enable last decade's USB speed, I have no doubt they will either not support it on the first iPad Pro, or it will require an $80 adapter which is long and clumsy and likely to break off...like all of Apple's peripheral plugs. Oh, and it will be somehow gimped in terms of features compared to the second generation iPad Pro.

I need to learn how not to be an early adopter.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    ignomini wrote: »
    As an experienced Apple early adopter, when they finally enable last decade's USB speed,

finally? my understanding is its pointless for all the previous iPhones & iPads to support USB 3 because their storage speeds dont exceed USB 2 maximum, providing no benefit. thus iPad Pro is the first device that could possible leverage USB 3 in a meaningful way.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

finally? my understanding is its pointless for all the previous iPhones & iPads to support USB 3 because their storage speeds dont exceed USB 2 maximum, providing no benefit. thus iPad Pro is the first device that could possible leverage USB 3 in a meaningful way.

Read and write speeds are vastly different. On the iPad Air 2 for example there is also a big difference between the 16 GB and the 128 GB configurations. In all configurations the read speed exceeds USB 2 capabilities. The write speed is well below USB 2. It doesn't sound unreasonable to me that an app might want to transfer data out through the Lightning port at speeds that exceed USB 2 but that port would be the bottleneck, so a faster Lightning port would make sense if the device is USB 3.

• Reply 31 of 41
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

The question is why they would need USB 3.0 for that, or why it would require a 4-port hub ...

Probably just the way the chip is configured by default. Just because it has 4 ports doesn't mean they plan to use them all.

• Reply 32 of 41
    mstone wrote: »
    Read and write speeds are vastly different. On the iPad Air 2 for example there is also a big difference between the 16 GB and the 128 GB configurations. In all configurations the read speed exceeds USB 2 capabilities. The write speed is well below USB 2. It doesn't sound unreasonable to me that an app might want to transfer data out through the Lightning port at speeds that exceed USB 2 but that port would be the bottleneck, so a faster Lightning port would make sense if the device is USB 3.

i think the device write speed was the key one here. i can't imagine apple having implemented USB 3 on them these years past if you couldn't transfer music, photos or videos to it at a speed greater than USB 2, especially since USB-sync was more prevalent over these years.

implementing USB 3 just in case an app wants to export data off the device faster? no way. thus it didn't happen, and thats reasonable.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    cnocbui wrote: »

Because speaker drivers are analogue devices.  USB carries audio digitally encoded so you would need a dedicated D/A converter / analogue amplifier pair for each speaker you wanted to drive independently.

That's how Apple is using them. No matter how to turn the device the the offer left and right channels, and top (treble) and bottom (bass) channels.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    imac.usr wrote: »
    I hope the next-gen AirPorts/Time Capsules get a USB 3 port as well; archiving a Time Capsule drive over USB 2.0 can take upwards of 24 hours.
    what the hell are you talking about? USB port on TC is used to connect to exterbal hard drive or devices, not the other way around to use TC as an external HD for your Mac, so it doesn't matter if it's 2.0 or 3.0 because you won't see TC if you connect it directly to your Mac. What's the point if USB while you have faster ethernet ports right there. I don't get your intended use for that USB.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

That's how Apple is using them. No matter how to turn the device the the offer left and right channels, and top (treble) and bottom (bass) channels.

That can be done without the complication of involving USB.  They are probably using the gyroscope, as you suggested, and then feeding the parameters to a DSP processor as in some 5.1 surround systems, which then alters the characteristics of the output fed to each channel before it goes through D/A conversion and amplification of the final output which has to be analogue.

• Reply 36 of 41
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

I would hope USB 3.0 with its higher power per port will also allow iPads to be charged from USB 3.0 hubs instead of having to plug directly into a Mac.  Even if the charging would be slower, it's better than no charging at all.

• Reply 37 of 41
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I agree, but at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what the speed of the port is, it's the speed of the storage medium that will determine the effective transfer rate. The fastest typical SATA drives (5400/7200 rpm) won't exceed USB 2.0 speeds. Even the fastest typical SSD's are going to be limited to around 5Gbps, so no need for greater than USB 3.0 speeds. Unless an external SSD is being used, then nothing greater than the current USB 2.0 standard is necessary. But high speed SSDs will benefit from it. So it's good timing on Apple's part as SSDs are becoming the standard as prices keep falling.

• Reply 38 of 41
    So, does this have any way of connecting an external USB flash drive or USB hard drive? If not then it still doesn't replace having a laptop to connect to and put video and music onto the Pro if you don't want to or can't use the cloud. Would be nice to have a iPad that allows you to 100% not be reliant on a laptop/desktop in any way.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    So, does this have any way of connecting an external USB flash drive or USB hard drive? If not then it still doesn't replace having a laptop to connect to and put video and music onto the Pro if you don't want to or can't use the cloud.

No, but the camera connector kit may work for an SD card for copying videos and pictures over.
    Would be nice to have a iPad that allows you to 100% not be reliant on a laptop/desktop in any way.

That depends on what your needs are. A great many have replaced their complex and cumbersome notebook or desktop for the iPad since 2010.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

I wonder if anything happens if you insert the Apple Pencil Lightning connector into the Siri Remote Lightning port.