Rumor: Second-gen Apple Watch on track for launch by June of 2016

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I'm surprised people take rumor to be fact.

well it is a clue to update cycle. The apple tv we all know will be updated infrequently but with software pushes to bring new features. The watch i think most people were hoping would last them a good two years before a new model would come out. 

I can say that they have plenty of headspace on the chip that will let them improve the speed with out costing more power. The fab process they used on the watch was older than that of even the iPhone 6. This is the price of black box security. They can not come out of the shadows and build S2 and have it on par with the iPhone 6s fabrication technology. So i understand why they are doing it. I just wished they would message to users that bought this hey we have a plan for you. I think a lot of people have the iPad 1 vs iPad 2 taste left. They dumped iPad 1 so hard and so fast it made people head spin. Then iPad 2 has had legs so long it looks like a grand dad compared to whole companies product lines. 

I am not so much upset as disappointed they let a product out that was very iPad 1 and are once again going to repeat the process of oh here you go the product we should have released from the start. 

I can say for sure they did not do that with the iPad pro. They made sure that device had hardware to spare and room to grow for several OS cycles and hardware revisions. This is nothing stopping them from making a new iPad pro every year and making it better but they are not going to leave a group of people in the ditch to do it like i think they will have to with apple watch 2

• Reply 42 of 76
    slurpy wrote: »
    How is a hardware update after 14 months "soon"? And no, I don't think anyone will be "unhappy" with getting an Apple watch because of the possibility that it will be updated a full 6 months later. Or is every Appe product not bough the second of release useless? Worse-case scenario, you well your free gift at that time and get the newer model. Oh, the absolute horror. People will be buying Apple Watches a week before the new one arrives, nevermind a full 6 months. 

These imaginary people will be unhappy because the rumored next watch will be out in a rumored 6 months and will have some hypothetical specs and imagined features that these imaginary people would have wanted in the watch they received as a gift because imaginary people are always glass-half-empty when it comes to receiving gifts they didn't pay for.
  • Reply 43 of 76
    It's one thing to upgrade iPhones every year and every couple-few years iPads....but a new watch every year....I doubt people will get a new watch every year....especially if the previous gen watch loses a lot of value with intro on new version. The only reason I upgrade iPhones every year is because I get a great price for my previous version on the used market. It will be interesting to see if used watches hold value.
  • Reply 44 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascegan View Post

Ans this article shows why I'm waiting to buy one. So when will Watch-gen1 be available on Apples refurbished site?

BestBuy - cowboom already has them with discounts of $80-$150

Not enough for me to bite - at $199 I get Gen1 otherwise I am waiting.

http://www.cowboom.com/search/results.cfm?keywords=apple+watch&page=1&order=match&store=fixed&query=product_type=refurbished&view=grid

edit...here is another site

http://www.jemjem.com/freetextsearch/search/result/?keyword=apple+watch

• Reply 45 of 76
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyberzombie View Post

The battery would be much too big if they added a GPS with full monitoring. GPS is still too expensive battery-wise...

If Apple improves only the battery, that would be a sure indication that everyone who complained about the battery was right.

But this meme about GPS using too much power needs to stop. The RipCurl Surf GPS has 10 hours of battery life with continuous GPS -- something nobody needs. The ?Watch currently only has 3 hours of talk time through the watch, which is a massive battery drain, yet they include it because, again, nobody is going to have four hours of conversations on the watch. Yet the potential is still there. Music will drain the battery in 6 hours (a much more likely possibility), yet it's still there. Provide the option of GPS which is only active when a customer wants it on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattBookAir View Post

I think Apple needs to be careful about changing the appearance too frequently. While people will update phones regularly, I'm not sure they want to do the same with their watch, and if it becomes clear their watch will be out of fashion in 12 months, they may lose interest, especially in the higher end models that Apple really wants to sell. A strategy similar to iPhone would seem better ... only change the appearance every 24 months.

But it will go out of style in 12 months. It's already going out of style. Apple has positioned this as a fashion item. They've poured tons of money into courting the fashion luminaries, and hiring fashion professionals. Unless they turn their back on that, they will most likely address the fashion needs of wearable like no other. Look at all the accessories and model updates they've already released less than halfway through the purported product life cycle. When has Apple ever done that before? What about all those people who bought a silver Sport early on and missed the opportunity to buy a gold one? No Apple will likely update the watch annually and not look back at previous customers. They will most likely make a concerted effort to address fashion trends, and I predict enable multiple pairings with the iPhone so that "watch" people can buy multiple watches from season to season. And it's losing interest that Apple explicitly wants to avoid. A new design creates excitement, and buzz within the fashion community. People who didn't buy the watch the first time around (and that's a lot), will be even more excited to buy into the latest greatest offerings. People will lose interest if it's the same old thing year after year. If a potential customer didn't like it last year, why on Earth are they going to like it this year?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sziehr View Post

well it is a clue to update cycle. The apple tv we all know will be updated infrequently but with software pushes to bring new features. The watch i think most people were hoping would last them a good two years before a new model would come out. 

I predict it will arrive mid-to-late May in time for May and June graduations, one of the biggest watch gift giving times of the year. And you're right, this gives us a glimpse as to a possible plan, and it fits nicely with how I see the watch positioned by Apple.

• Reply 46 of 76
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    syrran wrote: »
    Should have a 14 nm chip in it, which is a big leap. 

This is a very big deal. More so TSMC has just announced a third version of their 14 nm process which might be even more suitable for a Watch chip. Combine all of that with higher integration and the next watch could be a significant step up from the current one. I just hope that they don't take these positives and then shrink the battery to make an even thinner watch with no gains in run times or performance.
  • Reply 47 of 76
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    I'm definitely buying one.
  • Reply 48 of 76

I forgot to mention Apple Pay. Really love it on the watch especially, it's so much more readily accessible on the watch, compared to the iPhone. I go to stores that take Apple Pay over others which don't when I can. And I get a lot of favorable comments from other customers and clerks when I flick my wrist over the pay terminal.

• Reply 49 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

I'm definitely buying one.

me to, 

I have a SS gen 1, and i wear it every day, very few complaints, even used it on jet-ski, got it wet and sandy - survived no problem

so those waiting - stop waiting go get a cheaper refurb gen 1 and enjoy it until gen 2 comes out

complaints? sure,

- third party apps that i have tried are too slow to be useable

-  response, especially to siri, even on setting a timer,  is rather slow, several seconds...

- it shoud  alert me when im not connected (i hope this gets addressed in a next software relase)

Driving with this think is really good, selecting music, getting directions!

• Reply 50 of 76
    They need to make it waterproof to at least 10 feet depth, so that swimmers could use it safely. Except for that flaw, I'm extremely happy with my Apple Watch. A better screen will be nice too. With a daily charge, I find the battery life acceptable.
  • Reply 51 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by smcarter View Post

They need to make it waterproof to at least 10 feet depth, so that swimmers could use it safely. Except for that flaw, I'm extremely happy with my Apple Watch. A better screen will be nice too. With a daily charge, I find the battery life acceptable.

I haven't gone to 10', but I have hours of submerged time in pools and the ocean. I read this guy early on... http://furbo.org/2015/07/14/a-watch-water-and-workouts

• Reply 52 of 76
    smcarter wrote: »
    you can swim all day long with it without any problem. 10 ft dive for swimmer? You meant diver because swimming is on surface of water.
  • Reply 53 of 76
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    smcarter wrote: »

Why would you go swimming wearing a watch? Or anything at all for that matter? Generally it is a good idea to remove anything of value before taking a dip.
  • Reply 54 of 76
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    It seems to me a lot of times, the product Apple wants to ship is really several generations out. But because "real artists ship" they ship. Not that what they ship is bad or incomplete, quite the opposite. But iPhone 4, iPad 3/4, appleTV 4 all seem like the products Apple really wanted to ship day one. It's almost like Apple products are four generations ahead of their time when launched, which, I think, is pretty cool. I have a feeling Apple Watch will follow a similar trajectory. Four (product) generations from this one is going to be pretty mind-blowing, and probably the one I'll eventually. Not that I think there's anything wrong with this first Watch - nor did I think there was anything wrong with the original iPhone or iPad - I just think it's about when the devices really come into their own and the vision for what the product can or could be becomes a lot more clear. Just my humble analasys of Apple product design.
  • Reply 55 of 76
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

you can swim all day long with it without any problem. 10 ft dive for swimmer? You meant diver because swimming is on surface of water.

LOL, do you even get your face wet when you swim?  I swim under the water, all the time and no its not diving.

Technically the watch is not rated for swimming.  From Apple's own support siteApple Watch has a water resistance rating of IPX7 under IEC standard 60529.  IPX7 is immersion up to 1m.  

• Reply 56 of 76
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    There's a duration part of that standard. So unless your stroke is incredibly glacial swimming would be fine. Now if your arms were ten meters long, possibly not.

"Under the IPX7 designation, the Apple Watch will be able to withstand immersion in water up to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes". They're more conservative, but the numbers seem reassuring.
  • Reply 57 of 76
    razorpit wrote: »
    LOL, do you even get your face wet when you swim?  I swim under the water, all the time and no its not diving.

Technically the watch is not rated for swimming.  From Apple's own support siteApple Watch has a water resistance rating of IPX7 under IEC standard 60529.  IPX7 is immersion up to 1m.  
    1m for 30 min...continuously! I don't think swimmers do that.
  • Reply 58 of 76
    To clarify, I specified 10 meters, because of possible issues of pressure. Actually depth would be 1 meter or less.

I use a watch while swimming to check time, calories consumed, laps, bpm, etc. I have a Swimovate watch, but it lacks the elegance of the Apple Watch and doesn't communicate with the iOS Health app.

Waterfi has come out with a waterproof Apple Watch; however, as other have mentioned, there are no apps for swimming. Perhaps there will be one now that WaterFi has a solution.

http://waterfi.com/waterproof-apple-watch-sport

My thought is if Waterfi was able to waterproof the Apple Watch, why can't Apple?
  • Reply 59 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

While its "technically" IPX7, in actuality, it seams to be much much much better than that. Check out actual real live use on the internet (some them pretty crazy actually).  BTW, I swim A LOT, and having a watch on really messes my stroke so I truly don't get the point of it, butterfly in particular is very bad with a watch because of way you're hand enters the water and goes under you, second worst : breast stroke were you have a lot of wrist action.

BTW, people used old time garmin watches in their bathing caps for triathlon training for years and they were only IPX7 (and probably closer to actually being IPX7 than the apple watch). The Apple watch is some unknown level of water resistance that only Apple truly know... But, not IPX7. That's only what they certified it for.

That's a bit like many meds have use beyond what they're actually sold and certified for (off label use).

• Reply 60 of 76
    cornchip wrote: »
    It seems to me a lot of times, the product Apple wants to ship is really several generations out. But because "real artists ship" they ship. Not that what they ship is bad or incomplete, quite the opposite. But iPhone 4, iPad 3/4, appleTV 4 all seem like the products Apple really wanted to ship day one. It's almost like Apple products are four generations ahead of their time when launched, which, I think, is pretty cool. I have a feeling Apple Watch will follow a similar trajectory. Four (product) generations from this one is going to be pretty mind-blowing, and probably the one I'll eventually. Not that I think there's anything wrong with this first Watch - nor did I think there was anything wrong with the original iPhone or iPad - I just think it's about when the devices really come into their own and the vision for what the product can or could be becomes a lot more clear. Just my humble analasys of Apple product design.

If four generations is going to be mad-blowing then imagine the eighth generation. And twelfth!

Sorry but without Apple having a time machine, suggesting they plan a specific and distant number of generations out to be intentionally more "mind-blowing" than the the previous several is a new kind of ridiculous.