Apple loses Mac engineering chief, former Mercedes R&D exec Johann Jungwirth to Volkswagen

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 87
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

Not a chance. In a year or two this will all be behind them. Fines paid, stock price beaten and recovering.

Mike,

I have literally only bought VW's for the past 15 years.  I identify strongly with the brand.  There is no chance whatsoever that this will all be behind Volkswagen "in a year or two".  Try 10 or 20 or even 30.  They have deeply alienated a generation of consumers.  The fines are literally the least of their concerns.  Their manipulation of environmental impact tests strikes at the core of their customer base (cosmopolitan-leaning, environmentally concerned young people with a strong sense of style).  

To the point of the article, it is a very, very strange decision indeed to jump ship from Apple to Volkswagen at this point in time.  But perhaps he was unliked in his current position and saw the writing on the wall....

• Reply 82 of 87

That's a long way to to get to this: $900M for whatever you want to call the GM deaths, is a slap on the wrist compared to what the media is anticipating for VW for passing emission tests in a creative manner.

That's your opinion, You could have just said that at the outset, and we would not be having an irrelevant conversation.

The problem is, you responded to something I said with a factually incorrect statement. I called you out on it, that's all. There is NO COURT RULING on the merits of the GM case. Move along....
  • Reply 83 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

That's your opinion, You could have just said that at the outset, and we would not be having an irrelevant conversation.

The problem is, you responded to something I said with a factually incorrect statement. I called you out on it, that's all. There is NO COURT RULING on the merits of the GM case. Move along....

You're the one that brought court rulings into this. I'm talking about the situation where we have a slap on the wrist for killing people on one side, and a death-wish for gaming the emissions system on the other side.

• Reply 84 of 87
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    radiospace wrote: »

Mike,

I have literally only bought VW's for the past 15 years.  I identify strongly with the brand.  There is no chance whatsoever that this will all be behind Volkswagen "in a year or two".  Try 10 or 20 or even 30.  They have deeply alienated a generation of consumers.  The fines are literally the least of their concerns.  Their manipulation of environmental impact tests strikes at the core of their customer base (cosmopolitan-leaning, environmentally concerned young people with a strong sense of style).  
    The funny thing here is that even with the creative testing VW's diesel engines are probably better for the environment than most gasoline engines.
    To the point of the article, it is a very, very strange decision indeed to jump ship from Apple to Volkswagen at this point in time.  But perhaps he was unliked in his current position and saw the writing on the wall....

It is not strange at all! For a very type A personality VW has opportunity written all over it right now.

In a nut shell VW has problems but problems are just a way to make one shine and move up the ladder.
  • Reply 85 of 87
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The funny thing here is that even with the creative testing VW's diesel engines are probably better for the environment than most gasoline engines.

It is not strange at all! For a very type A personality VW has opportunity written all over it right now.

In a nut shell VW has problems but problems are just a way to make one shine and move up the ladder.

No so my friend, while CO2 levels are (marginally) lower than a plain gas (but not a gas hybrid), diesel create a witches brew of harmful chemicals (including nitrates and carbon solids.) 

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-33254803

• Reply 86 of 87

I have gotten a bunch of mailings from different law firms asking me to call them.  Unless you get in as the named plaintiff you get a free oil change and a $20 coupon off your next car.