Extract or Copy Text from Scanned Document or Images

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2015
What is a good program that will let me get text from an scanned document?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Once upon a time I used a product called "ReadIRIS". It worked to my satisfaction, but that was 5 or more years ago... couldn't tell you if they have kept it up-to-date.

I'll leave it to you to find it via Google

You're looking for OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software. There will be dozens of options available ranging from free to several hundred USD. It's a rather complex process from a software point of view, so you will probably end up getting what you pay for... but the free or cheap ones may still be adequate for your needs.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Once upon a time I used a product called "ReadIRIS". It worked to my satisfaction, but that was 5 or more years ago... couldn't tell you if they have kept it up-to-date.

You're looking for OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software. There will be dozens of options available ranging from free to several hundred USD. It's a rather complex process from a software point of view, so you will probably end up getting what you pay for... but the free or cheap ones may still be adequate for your needs.

Maybe soon scanner's will come equipped with the feature.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sky84fire View Post

What is a good program that will let me get text from an scanned document?

Try FREE PDF OCR X.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sky84fire View Post

Maybe soon scanner's will come equipped with the feature.

I've never bought one that didn't include OCR software in some form. Though the included freebie software is generally of the "less capable" variety, or Windows-only.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

I agree, there are many free ocr software and tool online, you can select one to use, many of them have a high accurate recognition.

• Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

I agree, there are many free ocr software and tool online, you can select one to use, many of them have a high accurate recognition.