Disney Infinity 3.0 coming to Apple TV bundled with SteelSeries controller

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited November 2015
Popular Disney-themed sandbox game Disney Infinity -- which melds physical toys with a virtual universe -- is set to debut on the Apple TV, one of the first console games to make the jump to Apple's new set-top box.

A $99 Star Wars starter kit is now available in Apple Stores throughout the U.S., Disney announced on Wednesday. The pack includes a Bluetooth-enabled Disney Infinity base, as well as a Star Wars: Twilight of the Republic play set piece and Anakin Skywalker and Ahsoka Tano figures.

"Apple TV represents an incredible opportunity for us to bring Disney Infinity to a new audience of players who may not have a game console in their household," Disney Infinity chief John Blackburn said in a release. "We're offering the complete Disney Infinity 3.0 experience on this device, optimized for Apple TV, and we're already planning new Disney Infinity experiences for the App Store."

The starter pack also includes a SteelSeries Nimbus controller, one of the first third-party game controllers made available for the new Apple TV. AppleInsider looked at the Nimbus in October and found it to be a solidly-built accessory.

Disney Infinity starter packs usually retail for $59, meaning buyers of the Apple TV version will receive the Nimbus for $40. That's an effective discount of $10 from the Nimbus's $50 price tag.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Unless thats something different, it's already on the Apple TV app store.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Yep. And err, anything past the first level? Or is that it? I beat it and nothing else shows up.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    slurpy wrote: »
    Yep. And err, anything past the first level? Or is that it? I beat it and nothing else shows up.
    You beat it already? Cool. How's are the graphics? Smooth game play? Do you feel it's worth it?
  • Reply 4 of 12

Hopefully they sell the same version with The Force Awakens game set. I have Twilight of the Republic and Rise of the Empire already. Would love the bluetooth base on it's own, actually. Wonder if the web codes from the playlets will translate to the Apple TV Version

• Reply 5 of 12

If LEGO Dimensions gets an aTV version, I'm getting one. I don't play "hard core" games anymore and don't really want to shell out the $350 for a current generation console. But I _really_ want to play Disney Infinity & LEGO Dimensions.

The only sticking point will be that the current generation consoles have a lot more graphics power than the aTV. Spend $$$ for prettier graphics or save a few $$$ and get a simpler box? First world problems.

• Reply 6 of 12
    jasenj1 wrote: »
    If LEGO Dimensions gets an aTV version, I'm getting one. I don't play "hard core" games anymore and don't really want to shell out the $350 for a current generation console. But I _really_ want to play Disney Infinity & LEGO Dimensions.

The only sticking point will be that the current generation consoles have a lot more graphics power than the aTV. Spend $$$ for prettier graphics or save a few $$$ and get a simpler box? First world problems.

Given the convoluted UI on the ATV, I'm not sure it's that much "simpler". And Lego Dimensions is available for PS3/360 if you want a cheaper option.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Given the convoluted UI on the ATV, I'm not sure it's that much "simpler". And Lego Dimensions is available for PS3/360 if you want a cheaper option.

Yes, that is also an option. However, the PS3/XB360s are nearing end of life, while the aTV is at the beginning of its life - even if the boxes have similar power.

Looking a couple years down the road, games will stop being made for the PS3/XB360, the aTV will likely have a hardware refresh (hopefully with an A9 or higher CPU), and the PS4/XB1 will be chugging along with a few more years of life left. So that raises interesting issues such as how powerful will the next aTV box be? Will it surpass the current consoles? Will publishers target the aTV with top-tier games?

Options:

• Pay $350-$400 now for a current gen console and have a really good console for the next five years. Software costs are high.

• Pay $200 now for a last gen console and in a few years get a next-gen aTV for $200. Lots of high-quality, if older, games available. Software costs are lower for older games. Then aTV software is even cheaper.

• Pay $200 now for an aTV and in a few years get a next-gen aTV for $200. Low software costs. But aTV does not have same product level as the consoles. But that far out, the big game publishers might start targeting the aTV more.

I think software costs and software options is a big differentiator. iOS software tends to be much cheaper than console games, and the games get updated to support the latest OS & hardware. But you're never going to get Halo or other AAA console games on the aTV, but you'll get comparable and "good enough" games. And, as I said, I don't have the time to really play AAA games to get full value out of them.

The other big differentiator is graphics quality. Pay more now for very good quality, or pay less now for a lower experience -and buy better quality in the future (either aTV gets better than current gen consoles, or current gen consoles get cheaper).

I really hate things like this where all the options have pluses & minuses and they balance each other out depending on what you pick as most important (among several similarly important criteria).

First world problems.

• Reply 8 of 12
    So Skylanders could be released on ATV next. Just a matter of licensing?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AlmondRoca View Post

So Skylanders could be released on ATV next. Just a matter of licensing?

I would be surprised if we don't see Skylanders on aTV. They did a Bluetooth portal for the previous Skylanders games, and had several mobile games to use with it.

• Reply 10 of 12
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    slurpy wrote: »

Is it just a demo version? I download it and it seems to be pretty large but I couldn't even understand how it worked! Then I have zero experience in that type of game, I prefer the GTA V type games.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    jasenj1 wrote: »

Partial Quote

I really hate things like this where all the options have pluses & minuses and they balance each other out depending on what you pick as most important (among several similarly important criteria).

First world problems.

You just described my exact feelings when looking at Canon's line up of DSLR lenses they make! :D
  • Reply 12 of 12
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor

Playing Disney Infinity on AppleTV was easier using the Siri remote than using the controller. Swiping on the touch surface to do the barrel rolls to avoid being targeted was easier than .. I'm still not sure what the controller action is for that move.