Apple hit with second class action lawsuit over Wi-Fi Assist data overages

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    Another "Apple has deep pockets and I want money" lawsuit. Good luck proving that you suffered $5 Million in damages while you were too clueless to know what your phone was doing or how to undo it.

How much data do you have to download to incur $5 million in damages?
  • Reply 22 of 59
    I think any easy fix is to allow a visible way to know Wifi-assist is being used at any given time.

Cellular: 3G, 4G indicators as normal
    Wifi: same wifi indicators as normal
    Wifi assist: normal wifi indicator but maybe color coated to your carrier's color to show you are using cellular data as well. (Sprint yellow, T-Mo Pink, ATT Blue, Verizn Red)

While this still won't tell you exactly how much cellular data is being used you'll at least know when it "assisting"
  • Reply 23 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I don't think the agreement no one reads is enough to indemnify any company. If Apple put in there that by clicking 'agree' you will allow your mouth to be sewn to the butthole of another person and allow yet another person's lips to be sewn to your butthole so that you can share once gastrointestinal tract, I don't think that would be legally binding.

I agree completely. Nor should the fine print be allowed to take away your right to trial by jury, as so many do. We have standards in society, and the fine print is almost always a weasely way of avoiding justice.

• Reply 24 of 59
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SupaDav03 View Post

I think any easy fix is to allow a visible way to know Wifi-assist is being used at any given time.

Wifi assist: normal wifi indicator but maybe color coated to your carrier's color to show you are using cellular data as well. (Sprint yellow, T-Mo Pink, ATT Blue, Verizn Red)

While this still won't tell you exactly how much cellular data is being used you'll at least know when it "assisting"

I completely agree with this. I think this is a great feature and should be on by default, but it would be more helpful for notify the user even in a subtle way like a little "+" symbol or something next to the WiFi logo, to indicate assist kicking in.

This feature will never ever ever be used by me, because I know how to properly setup a WiFi network. For most people that don't have a clue, and will sit 2 rooms away from a shitty router with 1 bar of service, it might be beneficial to tell them, "Hey, you're at home and using data. Do something about your network."

• Reply 25 of 59
    pmz wrote: »

I completely agree with this. I think this is a great feature and should be on by default, but it would be more helpful for notify the user even in a subtle way like a little "+" symbol or something next to the WiFi logo, to indicate assist kicking in.

This feature will never ever ever be used by me, because I know how to properly setup a WiFi network. For most people that don't have a clue, and will sit 2 rooms away from a shitty router with 1 bar of service, it might be beneficial to tell them, "Hey, you're at home and using data. Do something about your network."

Why all those symbols? A WiFi symbol means WiFi is in use, and no WiFi symbol means it's no longer being used. Keep it simple.
  • Reply 26 of 59
    I'm stupid, please courts save me from myself. PATHETIC, stupid people should just return their phones and go buy Androids.

GOD!!!! People are dumb
  • Reply 27 of 59
    The bigger problem is how to turn the damn thing off. It is buried at the bottom of the Cellular settings after all the on/off buttons for every app on your phone. It should be at the top of the list, right under Data Roaming.
    This is part of an overall disenchantment I have with Apple's settings...there is absolutely nothing intuitive about where they are located, they are random, obtuse, and poorly explained. But that's another story.

I think it will be difficult to prove willful intent to defraud. Apple gains nothing by your using cellular instead of wifi. It's all about the user experience and the expectation users have of a seamless experience. I do agree with the comment that a color bar across the top of the screen to indicate when your wifi connection has switched to cellular is a minimum expectation.
  • Reply 28 of 59
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 321member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by launfall View Post

The bigger problem is how to turn the damn thing off. It is buried at the bottom of the Cellular settings after all the on/off buttons for every app on your phone. It should be at the top of the list, right under Data Roaming.

This is part of an overall disenchantment I have with Apple's settings...there is absolutely nothing intuitive about where they are located, they are random, obtuse, and poorly explained. But that's another story.

I think it will be difficult to prove willful intent to defraud. Apple gains nothing by your using cellular instead of wifi. It's all about the user experience and the expectation users have of a seamless experience. I do agree with the comment that a color bar across the top of the screen to indicate when your wifi connection has switched to cellular is a minimum expectation.

It does seem like it should be at the top of cellular settings with cell data on/off LTE on/off and roaming, rather than below the cell data applications settings

However, that said;  if you could sue a company for less than stellar interface choices Google and MS would be long gone ;-) ;-)

That was (of course) humor, but the truth of the matter is if this were google (android) or ms (windows anything) this wouldn't be an issue because people expect settings access to be bewildering and obtuse. With apple however we hold them up to a mirror of perfection and sue them if they drop an inkling short of that perfection.

• Reply 29 of 59
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    This was a poorly implemented feature. No question about it. The default should be off and there should be better indications as to when this feature is being used...but at the end of the day, it is a feature that the user has control over. All the indemnity Apple needs is the fact that the user has the ability to turn it off! Apple is under no obligation to configure the default settings a certain way - or to notify you with a pop-up, or repeated warnings that a feature is enabled or that it is active. As long as they have documentation available to you that describes the feature - it's not their fault that you chose not to read it, or that you expected multiple warnings. As a customer service oriented company - it would be nice if they had done some of this - but it's completely ridiculous to think that people should be able to sue them because they didn't!

The feature needs work - but you can say that about almost any feature! Disable it if you don't like it - but if you use it without understanding the implications - that's on you. Disable it until you understand it - or buy a different brand smartphone - but don't expect Apple to reimburse you for your misuse of a feature designed to provide you with a better experience (which I'm sure it did!).

This would be akin to suing Apple for allowing you to consume data while outside of your coverage area (roaming in another country). The cellphone companies are the ones that are screwing you over every possible way they can. Don't expect your phone manufacturer to subsidize that!

Ugh. Ridiculous law suits like this make me sick to my stomach.

People - take responsibility for your actions and your decisions and learn from them. You're too old for a babysitter.

Apple - how could you not see this coming? You're not financially liable - but c'mon, put a little more thought into how you implement things and make them user friendly like we've come to expect. Turn this into an on-demand feature instead of automatic. If I'm on a poor wireless network - tell me! And then ask me if I want to use cell data to improve my experience. Time out after an hour or two and then ask me again. This would let me manage my cell data much better AND let me know that maybe my Wi-Fi set up needs fixing! If I get tired of being prompted and I'm going to be in that location for a while - I can choose to turn off wi-fi completely! You (Apple) should have designed this feature better AND you should have been able to predict the implications and the class-action lawsuit.
  • Reply 30 of 59
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    gofaster wrote: »
    No matter who's to blame you don't see AT&T, VZW, Sprint and T-Mobile demanding Apple fix the issue do we?
    They won't complain because that feature creates more money for them.
    Apple also knows they can fix this by turning it off by Default when they update iOS 9 again.

We all know this is a scam to make more money.

It doesn't make more money for T-Mobile!. He'll they just doubled their data plans at no cost. So the 3 I had is now 6 gigs. Plus the new free video streaming at a number of places, but still if you use up all your data, you're just slowed down, there is no extra charge if you use more, which in effect means it's unlimited. So no, they at least aren't making more money off of you if you go over.

I haven't given this feature a second thought.
  • Reply 31 of 59
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I don't think the agreement no one reads is enough to indemnify any company. If Apple put in there that by clicking 'agree' you will allow your mouth to be sewn to the butthole of another person and allow yet another person's lips to be sewn to your butthole so that you can share once gastrointestinal tract, I don't think that would be legally binding.

[VIDEO] [VIDEO]

No clue about America but in Europe the agreement is binding within reason. Since you cannot negotiate (it is yes or no, but not "ok for this, not for that"), the company is considered to have a position of power compared to the buyer, and therefore if it abuses it in its EULA, that provision is automatically void.

Automatically meaning "lawyers will argue forever, drain you dry, and be super rich".
  • Reply 32 of 59
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I'm up to four routers, over time as I update them I hook the old ones into my network, result strong signal everywhere.

• Reply 33 of 59
    supadav03 wrote: »

I think what you are suggesting makes a lot of sense.
  • Reply 34 of 59
    Wi-Fi Assist is a stupid function in every possible way. First off, there isn't any way of telling how much data it has used, second, the user doesn't know it's enable! Apple would solve a lot of problems by just removing this.
  • Reply 35 of 59
    This is a case of operator failure. If you don't like iOS because you get overages because of a feature then don't use iOS. If you have a potential to go over on your data, shut of wifi assist. People are ridiculous.
  • Reply 36 of 59
    Still many months in and still no direct effect on my data usage with the wifi assist and I use my phone all the time and even have shabby wifi at work. Guess i must be an anomaly…
  • Reply 37 of 59

Are you trying to say you 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordon Schultz View Post

To understand the issues this could cause you might consider restoring from a back up, on a new device for example. This actually happened to me yesterday and chewed through half of my 7gb allotment. The same thing happened two months ago when I was troubleshooting what I thought was a problematic iOS 9 beta.

Neither time was I prompted with the option to turn this off during set up.

Are you really trying to say in one day you unknowingly ate up 3.5 GB of data and it was the fault of Apple/WiFi Assist? That is complete and total BS.

• Reply 38 of 59
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    tommikele wrote: »

Are you really trying to say in one day you unknowingly ate up 3.5 GB of data and it was the fault of Apple/WiFi Assist? That is complete and total BS.
    What makes you so sure that is BS? Some games are over 1GB. Between updating apps, backing up to iCloud and watching NetFlix, it's very possible to use that much data in a single day.... Just because it might not be possible to do the way YOU use your phone - doesn't mean it's not possible at all. You can't be so narrow minded when determining what is and is not possible...
  • Reply 39 of 59
    tommikele wrote: »

Well I do know I wasn't rude in my post. Think you would have responded that way in person, without the benefit of being behind your computer/phone screen?

Do you have any other suggestions of what may have happened to cause so much data usage during a restore?
  • Reply 40 of 59
    tenly wrote: »
    What makes you so sure that is BS? Some games are over 1GB. Between updating apps, backing up to iCloud and watching NetFlix, it's very possible to use that much data in a single day.... Just because it might not be possible to do the way YOU use your phone - doesn't mean it's not possible at all. You can't be so narrow minded when determining what is and is not possible...

You're absolutely right. Another consideration would be photo, messaging, email restoration. But it's all BS so we must be full of it.

Thank you for the support btw, some people can't see beyond their own point of view. Thanks internet.