Review: Apple's iPad Pro with A9X CPU and 12.9-inch Retina display

Comments

• Reply 61 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

Smalltalk was invented at PARC and if it had been priced and marketed properly, we'd be using Smalltalk instead of Java -- I'd would have considered that an improvement. 

Maybe not, I (and a company I worked for) developed applications starting in Smalltalk.... but it was extremely slow.  We eventually transitioned to Java which was faster even before it was made bearable in later versions....

• Reply 62 of 158
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,341member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It would be nice to be able to plug in your phone or iPad to your main computer and get a desktop icon you could double click on to open and immediately see representations of files accessible to you in some kind of intelligent organization, probably by app.

Since this is all available inconveniently within iTunes under OS X, I'm not sure why Apple hasn't created an App for that, separate from iTunes, and called it iOS Finder or something.

It would be helpful to have a Finder App in iOS as well, that would give a systemwide view of App files.

I'm guess that it is a security issue.

• Reply 63 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tmay View Post

Since this is all available inconveniently within iTunes under OS X, I'm not sure why Apple hasn't created an App for that, separate from iTunes, and called it iOS Finder or something.

It would be better if it were just integrated into Finder so that the phone would show as a drive and a each of the apps that allowed uploading/downloading of documents under it were a folder....  You could still do app based validation to make sure that the file format was supported or something.  

• Reply 64 of 158
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    wisely wrote: »
    I can understand new iPad user complaining about lack of file system but for seasoned user, you can easily replicate a file system with many of the file manager app.  I have been using Goodreader since ipad 1. 

From ios 8 onwards, many apps can open files from an app like Goodreader and also save files to Goodreader.  I synced the files from my PC to Goodreader via wifi on a daily basis and my ipad always has the latest files identical to my PC. Maybe Apple should have just purchased a company with a file management app.

Granted user still cannot access ipad system files but I think that is the whole point about simplifying the computing experience and keeping security in check.

I have been using ipad pro for the past 2 days and have never felt that the Touch ID is not fast enough.  I get a feeling the reviewer just has to point out things so as to give the feeling that the review is comprehensive?

Personally I prefer the Touch ID on my ipad Pro.  It has been very accurate and not too sensitive compare to my iphone 6s plus.

Based on past 2 days experience, I feel that the iPad Pro Touch ID recognised the fingerprint as fast as the iphone 6s.  But one has to take into account turning on a 12.9" screen system versus a 5.5" screen.  All things being equate, I would expect the 5.5" screen to be lighted up a split second faster.

I have regularly felt that the Touch ID button was too fast or too sensitive on my iphone 6s plus.  Whenever I left my finger on the Touch ID button for a split second more, the Touch ID button would activate Siri.  This irritates me a bit and makes me want to turn off Siri.

My guess is that the design for ipad pro was done many months ago and was designed with touch ID version 2.  Coupled with the fact that touch ID version 2 is good enough and possible supply constraint on the new Touch ID, Apple could have decide to leave it as it is.

The talk about leaving some minor features out so as to induce future purchases is so trollish.  Come on...all Apple needs to do is to fit in an A10X and with better softwares/app, people would upgrade.

The key issue and main hindrance to ipad replacing the laptop is really....the capability of the available apps.

The problem is that if it isn't an official Apple feature, then it isn't going to be widely used. I also use Goodreader, and it's great. But as a substitute for an accessible file system? No.

Apple has been moving in this way though. First with iCloud, in a rather closed, and primitive way, and now with the much better, but still too limited iCloud Drive. I believe that Apple will continue exposing it more as time goes on.

As far as the Touch ID speed goes, I believe that Apple deliberately didn't move to the almost instant on feature of the phones. When we hold our phones the side button to turn it on, or off, is easily under our thumb, for those of us who hold it in our right hand, or forefinger, or middle, for those who hold it in our left hand. If the sensor is too fast for when we need the lock screen to just go to notifications or control center, we just click the button to bypass Touch. Easy peasy.

But for an iPad, it's different. The button isn't directly by our finger. So bypassing Touch is more involved, and is more of a hassle. We need the second hand for that, and it's clumsy. So I think Apple tried this out, and found it to be a bad idea. Maybe that will change, but I find the Touch sensor to be fast on my Pro, but not so fast that I can not get to the lock screen, as on the phone.
  • Reply 65 of 158
    wurm5150 wrote: »
    iOS created lots of wasted space for the iPad, most especially the Pro.

Untrue. All of the apps that have been updated look good. Perfect yet? Maybe not, but it will take some time for all developers to work it all out. We had the same problem on pcs for years as monitors and resolutions went up. It was, at least on Windows machines, as it worked a bit better on the Mac, a hit or miss process. It's easier on iOS, as long as developers go by Apple's guidelines. You are probably thinking of Android tablets, where most apps are just phone apps, which stretch across the screen. That's a common complaint there.
  • Reply 66 of 158
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Supplies of the iPhone 5s were initially constrained by limits on the number of TouchID sensors that could be made.

Yet people are somehow positive that "cheapness" is the reason to not use the new component in every iOS device? You're certain of these supply chain details are you?
  • Reply 67 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wisely View Post

The key issue and main hindrance to ipad replacing the laptop is really....the capability of the available apps.

Isn't the 'hindrance' also perhaps a function of Apple's hesitancy to allow developers get too deeply into the system?

They had to rethink that hesitancy for the AppleWatch. 

• Reply 68 of 158
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Apple should be the one to do this. Also, I don't see why some version of Airdop or Bluetooth couldn't be used by such an app to create greater interoperability between the Mac and the iPad. I find it silly that I still have to use iTunes -- which, many of us here agree is now a clunky, bloated piece of software -- as the primary interface if I wish to connect the iPad to my Macs. Why isn't there, for instance, an iPad app on OS X and a similar (obviously simple, and able to hand some basic tasks such as file transfers) OS X app on my iPad? It could work very similarly to how my AppleWatch interacts with my iPhone, for starters.

It would be nice to be able to plug in your phone or iPad to your main computer and get a desktop icon you could double click on to open and immediately see representations of files accessible to you in some kind of intelligent organization, probably by app.

If you recall, we were able to use the older iPods as an external HD, and see the data files in it (and were able to easily move files into and out of it).

Why ever did Apple get rid of that incredible functionality as iOS progressed? It was amazing to be able to carry my music, videos, photos, and all my files on my 160GB iPod Classic (the important files were also regularly backed up to it).

Bring back some version of it, Apple!

• Reply 69 of 158
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    iPad pro can be used best when lying on a table with a slight tilt (don't lay it flat!).
    This is the best way to do work.

A9X is remarkable it is faster than an i5 with lower clock frequency and uses only 1/7 of the power.
    (Note that the i5 uses hyperhreading and can be viewed as a 4 core processor, so you have to look at single thread performance.)
    Intel will be out of business soon.
  • Reply 70 of 158
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

There's no reason an app couldn't implement a unique file management scheme that would make more sense for the Pro.

iCloud Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive....

There are no shortage of fantastic file management apps that allow you to both OPEN and SAVE TO from the Apps you use. And they are backed up to the cloud. This isn't 2010 anymore. iOS has full file management.

On my Mac, I don't save important files to my e'ffing downloads folder. I use Dropbox, iCloud, or OneDrive. Coincidentally the same Apps that arte ubiquitous and functional on iOS.

Sorry if I sound huffy, I just can't stand this "file management" bs anymore. Its all there. 

• Reply 71 of 158
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Finally, the iPad Pro also includes a Touch ID home button, but our tests suggest this is the same home button found in the iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2 before it. Frankly it does not identify our fingerprint as fast as the improved Touch ID sensor on the iPhone 6s -- another strange, short-sighted decision by Apple, we feel.

If this is true, then it is a bit troubling.  After using the newer and faster Touch ID sensor on the iPhone 6s, why would anyone want to go back to the previous version?  The iPad Pro was announced on the same day as the iPhone 6s and shipped after the iPhone 6s.  I thought the purpose of having a single person in charge of the hardware teams was so they would be better coordinated.  Or maybe the iPad Pro is using the latest Touch ID sensor but the reviewer is just "touching it wrong"?

• Reply 72 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by derekson View Post

The complaint about a file system is silly. It's so widespread but it's just so backward looking. You wouldn't expect a file system if you weren't used to it; it's something we are used to from how computers have been organized, but in designing a system from the ground up it really doesn't add anything over the way that sharing files currently works on iOS.

More than 12 years ago, before any iPhone or iPad was available, I thought I would be clever and organize files on my hard drive according to which application was used to create it.  I had folders for Word Files, Powerpoint Files, PDF Files, etc.  This eventually came falling apart when I started using multiple applications to work on the same file type or when I had to create different types of files for the same project.

• Reply 73 of 158
    appexappex Posts: 687member

I rather get a full computer instead of the iOS toy: MacBook Air.

• Reply 74 of 158
    appex wrote: »
    I rather get a full computer instead of the iOS toy: MacBook Air.

Don't be so full of yourself.
  • Reply 75 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Like I said, I'm not Phil Schiller's biggest fan by any means but I think more often than not missing hardware is a function of engineering and supply chain not marketing. If we want to talk about Apple cheapening out, let's talk about the pathetic 32GB base storage which only exists to get people to spend the extra $150 and get 4x the storage. Or the new Smart Case which has been redesigned to be two separate pieces/purchases. The two piece Smart Case for iPad mini 4 is $19 more than the one piece Smart Case for iPad Air 2! There is nothing about it that really looks different or better other than now you can mix-and-match front cover and back case. But I think it's pretty obvious that nobody is going to buy this Smart Case without a Smart Cover. So why separate the two other than its a way to charge more with people maybe not noticing. Also the price of this for the iPP is $139. Clearly it was priced that way to make the $169 Smart Keyboard not look that expensive and to get you to spend the extra $30 and get the keyboard. This is where I think our ire should be directed.

Apple calls their back cover the iPad Pro Silicone Case since it has no Smart functions.  Then they have the iPad Pro Smart Cover which only covers the front.  Total price for both pieces is $138 compared to the $79 iPad Air Smart Case which covers front and back.  The $169 Smart Keyboard, like similar item for MS Surface, only covers the front when closed.  Logitech keyboard case for iPad Pro covers front and back.

• Reply 76 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Don't be so full of yourself.

I think it is reasonable to say that iPad Pro is still more a large iPad/iPhone than a tiny Mac.

• Reply 77 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

I think it is reasonable to say that iPad Pro is still more a large iPad/iPhone than a tiny Mac.

Key word being STILL. 

• Reply 78 of 158
    flaneur wrote: »
    Seems to me you guys are too much into the Scrumpy Jack over there. Bad mood, bad vibes, bad hangovers, grousing with no engineering perspective whatever.

The camera "issue" is bogus and you know it. And who are you to say that the internals were not locked in over a year ago, before production and integration of the faster Touch ID was at volume scale, while Apple was waiting for Sharp to get its oxide TFT display lines running well enough to announce this product?

Or do you imagine they are re-engineering the small stuff, tinkering with the finished production design in all its complexity, to the very last, just to pass the time while they're waiting for screens?

I agree you guys need an Apple store or three, however. That's worth complaing about.

I agree with your view regarding components for the iPad pro. This design was locked in a while ago and they had to make due with the supply of components on hand that it was designed around. People just need to believe that Apple is greedy for some reason so they can complain. They don't want to learn new ways of doing things so they bitch about the file system etc. There will be specialized apps in the future that will take advantage of the pro's capabilities but who is going to write apps for the pro of it did not yet exist? And they act like the iPad was the their main picture taking device to bitch about the cameras. These are the same people on their high horse proclaiming how nothing compares to their precious dslrs when others remark on how good the iPhone cameras have become. Bunch of whiners how can't see the potential of this device that has been out less than a week. They should migrate to MacRumors where they would fit right in. Can complain about greedy Apple who deliberately hamstrung the device to get people to buy the next version.
  • Reply 79 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Sorry if I sound huffy, I just can't stand this "file management" bs anymore. Its all there. 

Equally sorry, I just can't stand this "it's all in the cloud" bs anymore. It's not "all there" from all places at all times.

?If you disagree, why do you even need a device with any form of storage in it? Why don't you just buy a Chromebook, and get on with life? More importantly, exactly why does Apple sell, say, a 128GB iPod or iPhone or iPad?

• Reply 80 of 158
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Equally sorry, I just can't stand this "it's all in the cloud" bs anymore. It's not "all there" from all places at all times.

?If you disagree, why do you even need a device with any form of storage in it? Why don't you just buy a Chromebook, and get on with life? More importantly, exactly why does Apple sell, say, a 128GB iPod or iPhone or iPad?

Well, even if it's not "in the cloud", it could be on a local server. That's what I do and why I have tens of terabytes hanging around my house ;-). 128GB or even 256GB is a bit measly for my need