Tim Cook responds to 'unacceptable' Apple Store racism incident, says it 'does not represent our val

Comments

• Reply 41 of 107
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

Actually, yes they are.

When was the last time you heard of a group of white men, targeting a black man and beating him, for being black and in the wrong neighborhood?  Or a gang of white people going into a convenience store and "flash mob rob" the place?  Or how about a gang of white men raping a black woman?  Statistically speaking - it NEVER happens.  However, it's so common to see a gang of blacks going "Polar Bear Hunting" or playing the "Knock out game", robbing, muggings, rapings, thefts are so common that they are an everyday occurrence.  They happen everywhere.

And if you point out that blacks make up only ~12% of the population, yet contribute greater than 50% of the violent crime - you are labelled a racist.  If you point out that blacks make up only ~12% of the population, yet overwhelmingly are over-represented on welfare recipients, you are also a racist.  Yet, these are measurable, quantifiable and verifiable facts.  Name the vice, whether it's gangs, drugs, teenage pregnancy, alcoholism, rape, burglary, identity theft, robbery or gun related criminal activity - blacks are way over-represented.  To say anything else is simply a racist lie - because these facts are very easy to verify.

Why do Asians, whites and people from India feel comfortable congregating together?  Because, statistically they are safe in each other company.

Instead of pointing the fingers at the victims of the crimes, how about we actually ask the black community to join the rest of civilization?  Blacks have a cultural problem - no matter where you go in the world, no matter what time period in human history you pick - these problems are persistent, and the same tired excuse it trotted out over and over again.  Everyone else is racist.

posts like this make me despair.

• Reply 42 of 107
    Originally Posted by singularity View Post

posts like this make me despair.

Whyzzat?

• Reply 43 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

But white guys are the biggest victims of racism, don't you know¡

Let's just hope that more of them don't lose their lives in the War on Christmas.

• Reply 44 of 107
    On another Tim Cook statement, here's what he tweeted about the dreadful, despicable attacks in Paris: "@tim_cook: Prayers for Paris, the victims and their loved ones. Nous sommes tous Parisiens."

Surprised AI hasn't blogged about this.
  • Reply 45 of 107
    Look guys, I usually use a bicycle to get around the city, and in order to bring stuff with me I pretty much always have a backpack. In the colder months, I have a jacket with large pockets that I can stuff a hat, gloves, bike headlights (can't leave 'em on the bike or they'll get stolen), etc. in. I've never been kicked out of any store because someone was "worried I might steal something," and yes, I've often gone to Apple stores just to play with the new demo units, because I'm a geek, and sometimes I get curious about things like that new force touch trackpad and want to see one in person. That's not considered "threatening" when I do it, and let's get real guys, we all know why that is—my skin is not a "threatening" color.

Tim Cook is absolutely correct on this one.
  • Reply 46 of 107
    Quote:

Originally Posted by designr View Post

That seems like a fairly extreme characterization.

Not extreme -- accurate. Though most may not have stepped over the line, their toes have crossed over. 

• Reply 47 of 107
    People need to understand how racist the Australians are. Australians seen and experience these kinds of incidents daily. They're not even happy about white Americans being there. Go to a regional city like Cairns or Brisbane and the hostility is apparent.

A little statement of regret by Tim Cook isn't going to undo hundreds of years of pseudo-British racial attitudes.
  • Reply 48 of 107
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertMorein View Post

People need to understand how racist the Australians are. Australians seen and experience these kinds of incidents daily. They're not even happy about white Americans being there. Go to a regional city like Cairns or Brisbane and the hostility is apparent.

A little statement of regret by Tim Cook isn't going to undo hundreds of years of pseudo-British racial attitudes.

Did you mean racist or xenophobic? Or both?

• Reply 49 of 107

Both.

• Reply 50 of 107
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Both.

How unpleasant.

• Reply 51 of 107
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

the guy must be fired for his stupidity. What's he fucking thinking, judging people's le based on skin color? Black people don't have money? Totally bs! This employee needs to get fired and never should get a retail job again...maybe warehouse stocking should be his job so he doesn't have to deal with people. Fucking disgrace!

There is no proof this was skin colour related.  People/media have made it about that.

Years ago in retail, I stopped a dark skin person from stealing.  It wasn't her skin colour, it was her behaviour that stood out.  With your screwed up logic, because she was a different skin colour I was racist?? 

But then I could be wrong, because it sounds like you were in the store at the time, with the facts and all. 

• Reply 52 of 107
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    designr wrote: »
    To whom are you referring?

A couple of the posters in this thread. Easy to pick out.
  • Reply 53 of 107
    toddzrx wrote: »
    This is PC stupidity, as usual.  We see 18 seconds of video, the only part of which is the Apple employee asking these guys to leave because the security dudes are afraid they might steal something.  We have zero context as to what caused the confrontation, but something led to this.  I'm not saying the Apple employee is or isn't racist, or that his handling of the situation was good or bad.  I am saying that, as usual, the PC crowd sees varying skin color and rushes to judgement.  What if the black individuals in this video had been white?

They likely would not have been asked to leave. Perceived threat is black kids do not have money to purchase anything here.
  • Reply 54 of 107
    leighr wrote: »
    The real racist people are those who automatically think that these people were asked to leave because of the colour of their skin. There's absolutely no reason to indicate that this was the reason they were asked to leave. They were carrying bags, they may have been acting suspiciously or mucking around. If it had been a group of suspicious looking white kids with bags that were asked to leave, would it have been racist? It's a shame that people who are just doing their job by monitoring suspicious activity are branded racist, simply because the other person has different coloured skin.

Watch the video. They're told that their presence is worrisome, their mere simple presence, nothing is said about an action, or actions that raised suspicion.
  • Reply 55 of 107

N

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Watch the video. They're told that their presence is worrisome, their mere simple presence, nothing is said about an action, or actions that raised suspicion.

Nothing is said about the colour of their skin being an issue either. That's just a conclusion that someone has jumped to.

• Reply 56 of 107
    Quote:

LOL - that's the most ridiculous comment I've read. Get any random 12 people together in Australia an you'll likely have 12 different countries represented. Australians are certainly not racist by any stretch of the imagination.

• Reply 57 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by leighr View Post

Nothing is said about the colour of their skin being an issue either.

Nor is anything said about a black person's race when they are turned down for a an apartment rental, country club membership, or private prep school admission.  They aren't told that they are being followed around a store by a security guard because they are black.  They aren't told that their race is an issue when they are arrested for marijuana use in the U.S. (the arrest rate for blacks is more than 3.5x as high as for whites despite very similar marijuana usage rates).  The police don't tell them that they were ticketed for a burned out tail light because they are black and that, if they had been white, they would have just received a verbal warning. 

You don't combat racism by pretending it's only real when someone says "I am doing this because you are black."

• Reply 58 of 107
    leighrleighr Posts: 253member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred Maxwell View Post

Nor is anything said about a black person's race when they are turned down for a an apartment rental, country club membership, or private prep school admission.  They aren't told that they are being followed around a store by a security guard because they are black.  They aren't told that their race is an issue when they are arrested for marijuana use in the U.S. (the arrest rate for blacks is more than 3.5x as high as for whites despite very similar marijuana usage rates).  The police don't tell them that they were ticketed for a burned out tail light because they are black and that, if they had been white, they would have just received a verbal warning. 

You don't combat racism by pretending it's only real when someone says "I am doing this because you are black."

Like wise, you shouldn't assume it's racism, without knowing the facts. That's just as bad.

• Reply 59 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by leighr View Post

Like wise, you shouldn't assume it's racism, without knowing the facts. That's just as bad.

No, it is not "just as bad," because, as I wrote, most racists don't say "I am doing this because you are black." You can't let racism, or even what appears to be racism, to go unaddressed just because the person didn't explicitly say 'because you are black.'

Tim Cook handled this correctly.

• Reply 60 of 107
    I experienced a similar incident at Apple Store in Sheffield Uk back in 2010. I went to buy an iPhone, the manager came to me and asked me to wait at one corner of the store . I was asked not to touch anything. The manager wanted to verify if I was thief registered on there cameras. He was very rude not at all professional. He did not find anything and did not bother to come to me and explain the situation. Started to ignore me completely and sent another sales rep to deal with my purchase.
    I was an Apple fanboy. The service killed it all. There are muppets in every company and Apple is not an exception . Every single time I walk into an Apple Store I know I will come across someone like this.
    Good that these guys had a video evidence .