Apple predicted to launch A9-powered 4-inch iPhone in mid-2016

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2015
Yet another report claims that Apple is planning to refresh its 4-inch iPhone model with revamped hardware next year, and with an earlier than usual timeframe.

IHS analyst Kevin Wang posted to his Weibo account to share the details, referring to the rumored handset as an "iPhone 6c." Apple currently sells a 4-inch iPhone 5s for $449, or free with a new two-year service contract.

According to Wang, Apple is apparently planning to debut its improved 4-inch iPhone in mid-2016 powered by an A9 processor. If accurate, that would be a change for the company, which has launched new iPhones in the fall in recent years.

AppleInsider's own sources indicated this month that Apple is considering an earlier-than-usual launch for the anticipated "iPhone 7" as well. The rumors would seem to suggest that Apple could debut both a next-generation iPhone model, as well as a faster 4-inch model, at the same time. Monday's report was first spotted by G for Games.

Wang's claims corroborate details shared by KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who also expects that Apple will launch a new 4-inch iPhone with A9 system-on-a-chip next year. Kuo expects that Apple will stick with a metal casing for the new, smaller iPhone, rather than using the plastic back it adopted for the iPhone 5c.

Kuo also suggested that Apple would withhold its force sending 3D Touch capabilities from the new model, leaving that exclusive to higher end offerings.

As for Wang, he correctly predicted earlier this year that the iPhone 6s would boast a 12-megapixel rear camera with smaller pixels. Pixel sizes on the iPhone 6 lineup were 1.5 microns, but that shrunk to 1.22 microns with the launch of the iPhone 6s.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I say it all the time:

Apple launching a "c" phone mid cycle would throw a wrench into competitors gears and disrupt their plans without any chances to breathe.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    Wang also claimed it would launch this year and was wrong.

Please tell me why we should take anything these charlatins say at face value or put any stock into their "claims"?
  • Reply 3 of 41
    cali wrote: »
    I say it all the time:

Apple launching a "c" phone mid cycle would throw a wrench into competitors gears and disrupt their plans without any chances to breathe.

It should be called iPhone 7s. The "s" is for "compact".
  • Reply 4 of 41
    I have held off upgrading my iPhone 5 for getting on to 3 years. Whilst there is no denying the success of the larger 6 models, from what l have read their is still far more people who have 4 Inch iPhones. There must be many who simply don't want a larger phone but will only purchase a new one if it came with improvements to the processor, camera and with Apple Pay. The 5S went some way but did not feel far enough. A 4 inch with A9 and a better camera and Touch ID sounds like a great move by Apple. I can't wait.
  • Reply 5 of 41

I tend to believe Apple will do this at some point. The 5S is getting a bit dated, they will give it either an internal spec bump with the same casing, or update both. I don't think the 4" model will ever be high-end again, though.

• Reply 6 of 41
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    dachar wrote: »
    I have held off upgrading my iPhone 5 for getting on to 3 years. Whilst there is no denying the success of the larger 6 models, from what l have read their is still far more people who have 4 Inch iPhones. There must be many who simply don't want a larger phone but will only purchase a new one if it came with improvements to the processor, camera and with Apple Pay. The 5S went some way but did not feel far enough. A 4 inch with A9 and a better camera and Touch ID sounds like a great move by Apple. I can't wait.

They'll probably wait until they can increase screen size with the same phone dimensions or even thinner.

The 5s is a great jump from the 5 and includes TouchID.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    cwscws Posts: 59member
    I will happily pay the same price for a 4 inch phone as I would for a 4.7 inch model. Please, Apple, include all the latest features, including 3D Touch.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Expanding the size range of offerings isn't a bad idea. For my use-case I wouldn't go smaller than my 6s Plus, but my use is for a very mobile minicomputer, essentially never used as a voice communications device.

• Reply 9 of 41

I'm conflicted. I like my iPhone 6, but I can't operate it with one hand. Sometimes I use my wife's iPhone 5s, it felt so nice. 

• Reply 10 of 41
    I miss my 4" screen. The 4.7" phone is too big. I'd buy the 4" phone for the same price as the 4.7" phone if it had the same features as it's larger siblings.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Not going to happen. I think Apple is sending out these rumors just to watch the competition scrabble and waste time and money.
  • Reply 12 of 41

I hope this isn't just a rumor. This would help to explain the supposed drop in orders from their suppliers if they're releasing it in mid-2016. I'd guess that 10-25% of people are happy with this size and would choose it over a 4.7 or 5.5 inch model. For people like me who prefer to use an ipad at home, it's a perfect size.

• Reply 13 of 41
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

The 4" version shouldn't be a second class citizen, but rather a slightly thicker version of the iPhone 6 with a 4" display and a parody of features and battery life at the same price. If this was the case even if at price parody I'd consider switching back to a 4" phone. I find the 4.7" too big for my pockets and I never much use my iPhone to watch videos and certainly not long videos.

• Reply 14 of 41
    The 4 inch size was an easy to handle phone but I couldn't go back to a smaller screen. If Apple could put the 4.7 in screen in a smaller casing I think that would be the perfect size for me. However, I think it would serve Apple well if they had small medium and large sizes covered as long as they could achieve feature parity across the line up. Just my opinion though.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Of course with equal performance as a 6s I'd expect battery performance to take a hit, a big hit just from the available case  volume for batteries being so reduced.

• Reply 16 of 41
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    cws wrote: »
    I will happily pay the same price for a 4 inch phone as I would for a 4.7 inch model. Please, Apple, include all the latest features, including 3D Touch.
    your OK doesn't mean anything. Have you ever seen Apple releasing different sizes with the same price for any of their devices?
  • Reply 17 of 41
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    ireland wrote: »
    The 4" version shouldn't be a second class citizen, but simple a slightly thicker version of the iPhone 6 with a 4" display and a parody of features and battery life at the same price. If this was the case even if the price was the same as the 6s I'd consider switching back to a 4" phone. I find the 4.7" too big for my pockets and never much use my iPhone to watch videos and certainly not long videos.
    Price? Different sizes, same price. Never happens.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    This will happen as Apple phases out iphone 5s and replace with similar but iphone 6s internals with or without force touch. In my opinion and also own family requirement, 4 out of 5 people currently using iphone 5x and would like to stick around the same form factor for portability as well handling aspect. For them for a reason, bigger is not better.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It should be called iPhone 7s. The "s" is for "compact".

7c?

• Reply 20 of 41
    Man, I can't wait till the iPhone Pro comes out. That way I can do all the things an iPhone was really meant to do! Then I want to get an iPad "C" model, because I like iPad, but I want an intentionally inferior model so I can pay less - maybe replace the metal with plastic - not because plastic is better in place of metal, just cheaper. Also, just to be clear, I don't want last years "top" model for less, I want this years "bottom" level model that's even less capable than last years "top" model and built cheaper - so don't give me the option to buy last years "top" model! I want a completely differe model to choose from.

Wait, I've changed my mind. I want an iPhone Plus Pro Mini Air. That way, it has a huge screen, does everything an iPhone was really meant to do, fits everywhere because it's a Mini, and is as light as possible. Oh, and I want it to be a cross between magenta and cyan with red stripes going from top to bottom.

Ahh, forget it. I'm tired of constantly asking Apple to make a new product, that's slightly different than what they already have, but that fits my very specific wants. I'll just get an Android where I have a sea of options. I like Android, they tell me upfront that they don't really know what's best and are happy to sacrifice features and building materials to give me a cheaper model (if that's what I decide I really want). It's nice to have that kind of choice/variety/fragmentation! Think of all the different devices a programmer could choose to make an app for too!