iPhone 6s owners report losing messages, recent calls when restoring from iCloud

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29

This just affected me. I had a faulty 6S Plus that I just bought. I was updated to 9.1, all apps up to date, and had just made a fresh iCloud backup. Silly me, I didn't think to do an iTunes backup. They swapped out my phone, I got the iCloud restore going, and I headed out because they were closing (and the restore takes like 3 hours). I've always had issues with iCloud restores, every time I upgrade the phone, and I keep thinking "ok maybe this time it will work better" and I hope for the best. Nope, this was the worst one yet. Of course all passwords for emails and facebook and all that missing, most apps didn't keep their data, most apps would crash on launch so I'd have to delete and reinstall the app, I'm missing all my messages and phone history, missing all my Health data, I'm just wondering.. what the heck DID back up? why bother?

• Reply 22 of 29
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

Ever since the last minor updates, about 20% of my mail comes into my iPhone6 (not an "s") with the message "Message not downloaded from server".   The same email comes in fine to my Mac.   This never used to happen.   

I don't know why the phone would only download the headers and not the body of an email, but it's starting to be very inconvenient.

• Reply 23 of 29
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tenly View Post

Bullsh**t! That's not at all general knowledge - nor is it an actual requirement. If it *were* a requirement, the restore process itself would warn the users or even insist upon an upgrade before allowing the restore to happen.

People that call other people stupid when they're really not - are the stupidest people in the world!

How is it bullshit? You have 9.1 and used it for a few days, then go to Apple store to purchase a new phone which has 9.01 when you activate it. Don't you see the RED notification for software update in Settings? Apple can never make an OS foolproof. There's always an idiot complaining things.

• Reply 24 of 29
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SergioZ View Post

People don't back up correctly, that's all!

Also you can't use back up from iOS 9.1 to older version iOS, they are not compatible!

Some idiots like the one a few posts above want a warning message like in Mac OS that when you restore, the current version must match or newer than the one you backed up. 

• Reply 25 of 29
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    zoetmb wrote: »
    Ever since the last minor updates, about 20% of my mail comes into my iPhone6 (not an "s") with the message "Message not downloaded from server".   The same email comes in fine to my Mac.   This never used to happen.   

I don't know why the phone would only download the headers and not the body of an email, but it's starting to be very inconvenient.
    That's been happening to me for about 3 years - but not 20% - just the odd message here and there. It seems to happen whenever an email arrives while I'm using the phone and I click on the notification right away. I get the message "Message not downloaded from server" and no matter how long I wait after that, the message will never download/correct itself. I have found that sometimes if I forward one of those messages, it will ask me if I want to download it first - and sometimes if I say yes - the message will magically appear. Other times, the only thing I can do is go check it from another device.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    fallenjt wrote: »
    How is it bullshit? You have 9.1 and used it for a few days, then go to Apple store to purchase a new phone which has 9.01 when you activate it. Don't you see the RED notification for software update in Settings? Apple can never make an OS foolproof. There's always an idiot complaining things.
    Software updates are not mandatory. It is *recommended* that users update to the latest OS - but I have not read anything which says that it is *required*. If it were actually required, it would be really easy for Apple to refuse to allow the restore based on version mismatches. Do you know why they don't do that? Because it's supposed to work!!! And it usually does work...! So... because a user is doing something that is supposed to work; something that has always worked for them in the past, they are now suddenly "stupid" ? Because *you* say so? In any case - I didn't see anything in the article that stated that this data loss only happens in a version mismatch situation. You're just assuming that was the problem! But it could very well be affecting people who are "not stupid" and have the correct versions too.

In any case, since you're obviously a person who prides themselves on doing what they're supposed to do - or what you're recommended to do - I recommend that you try to be nicer and to be helpful to people you don't know and who may not know as much as you.

Tell me - is your grandma stupid because she doesn't know she has to update her iPhone before she can restore her cloud backup? Is my grandma stupid if she doesn't know? How many people here have a parent or grandparent that doesn't know this? Bad news people - your relatives are apparently all stupid!!! Or is it possible she feels that she doesn't (and shouldn't) *need* to know that level of detail to own and enjoy an Apple product? Does she think you're stupid because you don't know how to make chocolate chip cookies from scratch?

People who don't know how to communicate with others in a polite and friendly manner are stupid. Those people who make up rules that aren't true, and then tell people they're stupid for not knowing the false rule - well those people may or may not be stupid - but they're definitely jerks.
  • Reply 27 of 29

After I get my messages back I'm leaving Apple for good. 2 months and they still haven't figured it out. Most of the tech support don't even know this problem exist.

• Reply 28 of 29
    duck1098 wrote: »
    After I get my messages back I'm leaving Apple for good. 2 months and they still haven't figured it out. Most of the tech support don't even know this problem exist.

Good idea! After you switch, EVERYBODY will have copies of your messages so if you ever lose them again, you can just ask Google for their copy!!!

The grass is not greener. You"ll be back... (if you ever really leave!)
  • Reply 29 of 29
    iTunes backup seems a long time ago, may be last year. iCloud consistently asks me for backup but it never succeeded. The progress bar never be 100%.

There are 4 ways you can try:
    1. Just extract recent messages from your iTunes backup if you've synced to iTunes.
    2. Restore your iPhone from iCloud backup if you have
    3. Try some business software to recover messages from your iPhone, but you have budget. such softwares costs bout $39 - $60
    4. Take your software to maintenance shop, but it also costs money.
    http://www.iphonetransferrecovery.com/tutorials/recover-deleted-text-messages-iphone-mac.html