Who is buying AAPL?

jbljbl
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
<a href="http://www.thinksecret.com/news/stockpurchases.html"; target="_blank">This</a> article on Think Secret is reporting that some company is buying up AAPL shares. Any ideas who it might be? Fuel for old Disney/IBM/Sun buys out Apple rumors? I can't really think of a good reason for any company to be buying up Apple shares.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    The bank balance is a very good reason, but only if you can actually buy up enough shares for a takeover and such a move would drive up the price. Of course there is a profitable business model and lots of cool tech to sell off, so depending on the price, Apple could be a very good company to take over. There's good money to be made in accelerating current trends to their logical conclusion. Buy Apple. Get high powered high-end solutions. Liquidate the consumer business, pocket the cash, and sell exclusively high-end solutions for as long as people buy them. Even if you destroy the company you can pocket a lot of cash in the meantime. You think Micheal Dell is secretly buying up shares? hahaha

[ 08-30-2002: Message edited by: Matsu ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 7
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    ups!

i think that was me.

i ordered one apple share over at <a href="http://www.oneshare.com"; target="_blank">"oneshare"</a>.

if i had money to spend i would buy loads of apple-stock.

imho: apple is prepared for the future and will be doing very good.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Apple is in a position that it could either do very well in the future or turn a nice profit for someone who decided to cut it up into little tiny pieces (or a few big ones and a few little ones). It won't get cut up, unless Dell got a hold of it.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Well, like you say, you couldn't really take it over just for its cash, since the takeover would drive the price up substantially. The rest of the business is actually losing money as far as I can tell (if you subtract the interest on 4G from their balance sheet it looks like it would be pretty far in the red, but I am not an accountant and I don't know how these things are accounted). If you bought the company you would probably lose Steve which is one of its most valuable assets.

Does anybody know the disclosure rules that determine under what conditions they have to tell us who is buying the shares?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Let's just say such a thing could ever happen.

You buy a controlling interest in Apple and stack all the plum executive positions. You take the money to offset the cost, and you shop the desktop business around to a third party. You could exclusively license OSX to one vendor and get out of the hardware business altogether. This vendor has only to meet predefined hardware criteria, they make models and set prices as they see fit. Apple provides a strictly regulate reference platform. Apple keeps Xserve and high-end application business (more along the lines of AVID, Combustion, and other high-end video/3-d workstations. The desktop (pro and consumer) vendor pays licensing to Apple and Apple provides the software solution, support, and backbone technologies.

If market-share grows, Apple reserves the option to add another licensee, but only under carefully pre-determined conditions. If it goes well, the mac platform grows, if it fvcks up (highly possible) you take the money and run to the high-end, which is where Apple will end up anyway if can't make competitive sub 1K machines.

edit:

I forgot to mention, you must hire all the right people to whip up investor interest in the company and sell off stock as a successful marketing of the new business model drives up the share price to guarantee you make enough cash (in case/before) it all tanks.

[ 08-30-2002: Message edited by: Matsu ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 7
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    I got inside info (an email) that it's Martha Stewart who's buying em all up.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    ...my guess, either Sony or Matsushita.