Apple nixes iOS version of popular brightness management tool f.lux

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25

Never heard of it and cannot understand the appeal, tbh.

• Reply 22 of 25
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

The effect of light on the circadian rhythm is a real phenomenon studied by real scientists.

OTOH, dismissing an idea about which you know nothing is about as unscientific as you can get.

Effect light well know, effect of this app, not demonstrated; that's it.

that is if purport to really care about science.

• Reply 23 of 25
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Never heard of it and cannot understand the appeal, tbh.

one of those things where you shouldn't knock it till you try it. It doesn't just dim the display - in fact on the mac it doesn't dim the display at all. It changes the color temp of the screen at night to 'compensate' for the time of day. It reduces the "bluishness" of the display and anecodotally reduces eye strain when using the display at night.

I would turn it off to do photo editing, and where colour accuracy is required but for things like browsing, mail, and anything else where color accuracy is not that important I've found it to be really useful. 

• Reply 24 of 25
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member

Great Mac app, great (former) iOS app, even if apple have their reasons it's really sad to see it go. I am one of the group who jailbreaked just for that app. Helps immensely us nightbirds get to bed, and even in afternoon use it's really a great asset on the mac to tone done the blueish whiteness and get a screen tint that doesn't strain the eyes that much.

• Reply 25 of 25
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

Effect light well know, effect of this app, not demonstrated; that's it.

that is if purport to really care about science.

Agreed, not demonstrated, but clearly easily hypothesised that in view of the scientific data on circadian disorders it most probably helps.