Jony Ive: Apple Pencil is made for marking, not a 'stylus' finger replacement

Comments

• Reply 21 of 154
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I'm a programmer, try copying code from a site and than embedding it into your own using your fingers on an iPad, now try doing the same with a mouse while using your PC or laptop, you have just divided your time by a 3rd. Use multiple apps to compile data into a single source, the mouse is a God send. The reasons are actually vast and honestly if you can't see them, than your using your iPad for entertainment purposes. Which is fine but my needs are valid.

Apple agrees with you, which is why they are not merging OS X and iOS (yet).

• Reply 22 of 154
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

This explains why the Pencil can't be used to scroll or open an app.

Wait. What?

You must be joking.

You can't scroll with the Pencil? Like say on a web page in Safari?

Or tap on an app icon with the Pencil to open an app?

I find that hard to believe.

• Reply 23 of 154
    fallenjt wrote: »
    relic wrote: »

Yeah, okay, without mouse support I have no doubt that this will become the de-facto navigation method for those who bought the Pencil, when sitting at a desk working. Sorry but for the same reason why touchscreens on none convertible laptops don't work well apply to the iPad Pro as well, at least with the Pencil it kind of alleviates the awkwardness of having to reach across the keyboard. It's time Apple, you've already released the most hated stylus, now give us mouse support without having to resort to Jail-breaking our iPads. In reality and not Apple fanboy world were everything Apple does is golden, if the iPad ever stands a chance at being a true laptop replacement, archaic as it might be, a step back, whatever, mouse support is definitely needed.  Just using my iPad Air with MS Word and a keyboard, without a mouse, once, was enough for me to never do it again, especially now with these loooooooooooooooooong over due multitasking capabilities.
    Why would you need a touch screen if you already have a mouse with a keyboard there?

Because. When you are lost in the '80s and nostalgic for the olden days and the sound of a dot-matrix printer, nothing says retro like another wired-in device cluttering up the workspace. Disco music blaring out of your individual boom box is just too much fun since an iPad lacks "multitasking capabilities" and can't play music while composing a MS Word document...

Better to complain about what's missing instead about what's there...

• Reply 24 of 154
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    Quote:

I'm a programmer, try copying code from a site and than embedding it into your own using your fingers on an iPad, now try doing the same with a mouse while using your PC or laptop, you have just divided your time by a 3rd. Use multiple apps to compile data into a single source, the mouse is a God send. The reasons are actually vast and honestly if you can't see them, than your using your iPad for entertainment purposes. Which is fine but my needs are valid.

I am a full time programmer as well. The iOS devices are designed to be content consumer devices, not code creators. It may work fine with some content creation but I cannot see how it would work with programmers at this point. That's why I use my laptop for coding, not iPad. I cannot imagine doing it on iPad as it would NOT be productive. 

• Reply 25 of 154
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    I tried the pencil at the Apple Store this weekend. Indeed it is top notch when it comes to speed and accuracy. But I found it distracting that there was "space" between the tip of the pencil and where the "ink" showed up - i.e. the thickness of the glass made the act of drawing somehow disconnected - and I'm not even an artist; I can't imagine how a painter would deal with this.maybe if Apple went to a different display tech, that may alleviate the issue. Nobody else seems to have a problem with this - I guess I'm just too sensitive :-}
  • Reply 26 of 154
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by netrox View Post

I am a full time programmer as well. The iOS devices are designed to be content consumer devices, not code creators. It may work fine with some content creation but I cannot see how it would work with programmers at this point. That's why I use my laptop for coding, not iPad. I cannot imagine doing it on iPad as it would NOT be productive. 

I agree, though the iPad Pro blurred those lines, did you not see the Office and other productivity apps demoed. The iPad Pro is most certainly being marketed as laptop replacement, it really should have mouse support. I'm sure it will to, just need to give it a little more time.  Until than though, the external keyboard is useless, it's more comfortable typing on the screen itself so you can navigate the UI faster and more efficiently than having to reach over.

• Reply 27 of 154
    techlover wrote: »
    kpom wrote: »

This explains why the Pencil can't be used to scroll or open an app.
    Wait. What?

You must be joking.

Why use the pencil when you have a who;e handful of fingers right there too?
  • Reply 28 of 154
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Because. When you are lost in the '80s and nostalgic for the olden days and the sound of a dot-matrix printer, nothing says retro like another wired-in device cluttering up the workspace. Disco music blaring out of your individual boom box is just too much fun since an iPad lacks "multitasking capabilities" and can't play music while composing a MS Word document...

Better to complain about what's missing instead about what's there...

Give me a break, there are Bluetooth mice. Also the stylus was invented in the 50's where as the mouse was invented in the 60's so by your logic the iPad Pro is also still stuck in the Tandy era of computing. Do you have a MacBook, iMac or any other computer, using a trackpad or mouse, yes, why aren't you using a touchscreen, doesn't have one, what kind of archaic crap are you using. So a mouse is okay for every other Apple computer, just not the iPad because it's so advanced.

• Reply 29 of 154
    He forgot to mention another very important function besides drawing.

Precision input. A finger is not precise... Try tracing a shape with a finger ( let say for drawing masks) .
    Or pin pointing a location on cad.. 3d ... Etc.
  • Reply 30 of 154
    dabedabe Posts: 99member
    Quote:

The iPad Pro is most certainly being marketed as laptop replacement, it really should have mouse support. 

My pajamas are being marketed as a jeans replacement, so they really should have pockets. Seriously, though, the iPad Pro is not being marketed as a laptop replacement for everyone, only for some.

More apropos: My drinking glass is being marketed as a mug replacement, so it really should have a handle!

• Reply 31 of 154
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    relic wrote: »

Partial quote

I'm a programmer, try copying code from a site and than embedding it into your own using your fingers on an iPad

Well said. Hence Apple insisting a Mac and an iPad are different tools for different jobs.
  • Reply 32 of 154
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    The Pencil is a marking device, NOT a navigation method.

I assume when using the Apple Pencil the user will cradle the iPad like they would a tablet to write on, or to draw on—NOT like using a MS Surface; sitting on a desk top, wired in place with its multiple ports and a keyboard front and center—like a vintage early IBM PC. The MS Surface is so retro in design I'm surprised MS didn't bring back command line interface and cassette tape mass storage.

LOL, the imagery was superb. But yes, I think MS are so out of touch they don't see that.
  • Reply 33 of 154
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

Wait. What?

You must be joking.

No, it's true. I tried it out at the Apple Store yesterday. The Pencil is exclusively for "marking." It works really well, though. Serenity Caldwell of iMore posted some pictures on Twitter of some drawings and handwriting samples (paper vs. iPad Pro). Joanna Stern of the WSJ had one of the Journal's illustrators try it out, too. The results were impressive.

• Reply 34 of 154
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Because it's big, and heavy. People will lay it down on a table and then realize their necks hurt from looking down, so they'll prop it up, and then their arms will hurt from reaching up to touch it, and will then think "I wish it had a mouse"

No, they'll think they got the wrong device and maybe the Macbook would have been the better option.

• Reply 35 of 154
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Who's going to be Coding on the iPad?    Get a Macbook, problem solved and far better off.  it's called gettin gthe right tools for the job.   The iPad is a touch device.  To me it sounds like you're a Surface user.  Maybe that's the device for you.  Trying to be everything to everyone.  iOS is designed for Finger interface.  Not a stylus.  You want a mouse/keyboard, again get a Macbook of sometime or a Windows Laptop, or a crap trying to be everything for everyone Surface.

• Reply 36 of 154
    kpom wrote: »

No, it's true. I tried it out at the Apple Store yesterday. The Pencil is exclusively for "marking." It works really well, though. Serenity Caldwell of iMore posted some pictures on Twitter of some drawings and handwriting samples (paper vs. iPad Pro). Joanna Stern of the WSJ had one of the Journal's illustrators try it out, too. The results were impressive.

I'm glad that Apple finally caught up so that we can create art properly. Artists have been using the NotePRO which a tattoo artist friend uses. He's created some amazing pieces of art on that tablet. Can wait to let him use my iPad Pro and see what he thinks.
  • Reply 37 of 154

Try using the right tool for the job. If you find it difficult to do programming on an iPad, a purpose for which it was not necessarily intended, don't use an iPad. You might also find it difficult to tow a 48' trailer with a VW, a purpose for which it was not intended. Your needs are not valid; they are misplaced.  You don't need an iPad; you need a computer.

• Reply 38 of 154
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jbdragon wrote: »
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Because it's big, and heavy. People will lay it down on a table and then realize their necks hurt from looking down, so they'll prop it up, and then their arms will hurt from reaching up to touch it, and will then think "I wish it had a mouse"

No, they'll think they got the wrong device and maybe the Macbook would have been the better option.

It'll be down on a table more than it'll be held free hand.
  • Reply 39 of 154
    Quote:

I always copy and paste SQL code from Filemaker Go into phpMyAdmin's SQL query box on the iPad with my fingers, and I do it faster than I can on Macbook Pro. So your case is unique to you, do not generalize your personal taste. Compiling several source files is not a matter of mouse but may be a matter of windows, for which a mouse is a must. iOS doesn't have windows so it doesn't need the mouse... Remember what WIMP means... ?

• Reply 40 of 154
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I must have strong arms because I'm laying on my couch right now holding the iPad Pro in my hands and it doesn't feel heavy at all. It makes the iPad Air feel like an iPad mini.