Jony Ive: Apple Pencil is made for marking, not a 'stylus' finger replacement

Comments

• Reply 41 of 154
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I must have strong arms because I'm laying on my couch right now holding the iPad Pro in my hands and it doesn't feel heavy at all. It makes the iPad Air feel like an iPad mini.

And are you using the Pencil to draw?
  • Reply 42 of 154
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    And are you using the Pencil to draw?

Don't have one yet. :( Honestly I'm not an artist but I want to learn how to draw using the Pencil.

Serenity Caldwell, who writes for iMore just tweeted this:

Serenity Caldwell ?@settern 1h1 hour ago
    It’s a good thing when technology makes you smile.

The iPad Pro and Pencil make me grin uncontrollably

CUDjH7XUcAEgbtl.png
  • Reply 43 of 154
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    relic wrote: »
    Yeah, okay, without mouse support I have no doubt that this will become the de-facto navigation method for those who bought the Pencil, when sitting at a desk working. Sorry but for the same reason why touchscreens on none convertible laptops don't work well apply to the iPad Pro as well, at least with the Pencil it kind of alleviates the awkwardness of having to reach across the keyboard. It's time Apple, you've already released the most hated stylus, now give us mouse support without having to resort to Jail-breaking our iPads. In reality and not Apple fanboy world were everything Apple does is golden, if the iPad ever stands a chance at being a true laptop replacement, archaic as it might be, a step back, whatever, mouse support is definitely needed.  Just using my iPad Air with MS Word and a keyboard, without a mouse, once, was enough for me to never do it again, especially now with these loooooooooooooooooong over due multitasking capabilities.

I think you're missing the point here. While mouse and trackpad support would be nice, we really don't need it. With iOS 9 support for the two finger keypad cursor control, we've pretty much got that. Before, I had a heck of a time moving that cursor around sometimes. Some web sites simply don't handle it well. And for when type is small. But now, it works under all conditions.

I'm typing this on my Pro, as I do almost all of my posting everywhere on my iPads, and have for years now. The cursor control is far better using the keyboard as a trackpad. Love the new keyboard layout, with a couple of exceptions. I simply can't see using the Pencil (whenever it gets here, hopefully this week) to poke at the screen, even if using a keyboard.

Well, especially when using a keyboard.
  • Reply 44 of 154
    It's not supposed to replace ur laptop. Never ever will iOS use a mouse. I mean ... That's the whole flipping point. But rock on power user.
  • Reply 45 of 154
    coolfactor wrote: »
    Wish List:
    • Female connector on pen, with a male-to-male adapter for those that prefer the male connector. I suppose a female-to-female adapter will work, too.
    • If a male connector remains, then a non-detaching cap where the connector emerges with a graceful spring-loaded "click".
    • A place to store the Pencil on the iPad itself. Magnetically?
    • An eraser tip.
    • Engraving/embossing option during ordering so that I can have my name on it.

The male to male connector adapter comes with it. Don't want a female connector on the Pencil because then you always need to have your cable with you to charge from your Pro, or a charger. Just another thing to carry around, break, or lose. Yes, you need to keep that adapter for when you need it, but you shouldn't need it most of the time.

Don't know about a spring loaded click. I'd rather have the connector covered.

Magnetic storage hasn't worked out so well for the Surface. The stylus always falls off, particularly when putting the Surface into a case. I would rather they put a clip on it. I'm going to possibly put one on mine. But I made an adapter for my iPhone 6+ case where I can carry a stylus/pen for my iPad, and this Pencil will fit in there too.
  • Reply 46 of 154
    Maybe your just injured and bitch too much
  • Reply 47 of 154
    Dbag. It was designed for that fat finger you've got shoved up your ass. Not your yellow white ms modern right clicker
  • Reply 48 of 154
    tjwolf wrote: »
    I tried the pencil at the Apple Store this weekend. Indeed it is top notch when it comes to speed and accuracy. But I found it distracting that there was "space" between the tip of the pencil and where the "ink" showed up - i.e. the thickness of the glass made the act of drawing somehow disconnected - and I'm not even an artist; I can't imagine how a painter would deal with this.maybe if Apple went to a different display tech, that may alleviate the issue. Nobody else seems to have a problem with this - I guess I'm just too sensitive :-}

Oh, jeez. Now we're going to hear this for a while. Look, there is almost no space. The tiny amount is negligible. It's not much thicker than the gels and other layers we often need to use when drawing. This is not an issue. If you draw, then you'll draw. If you spend your time looking at the tip, then you're not drawing. The fact that numerous professionals have already said that the experience with this is great, is all we need to know. The graphics department editor at one of the major stations, I don't remember which right now, during a quick review of the Pro and the Pencil said that she wouldn't give it up.

That's enough to know. If you draw with a Wacom Cinq, you'll have more of a problem, but many professionals use them without a problem. I didn't buy one because I couldn't find a use case, and I can't stand the Companion models. But this combo should be much better.
  • Reply 49 of 154
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    I'm entitled to my opinion. Sure it's good - and, as you said, graphic artists think it's better than the [electronic] alternatives for their *work*. I was simply musing as to whether a *painter* would consider it good enough to make it his primary medium. I can't imagine it, given the disconnectedness I felt.
  • Reply 50 of 154
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SHSF View Post

Does anyone get the feeling that the pencil tech will trickle down to at least the air if not the iPad mini too in the near future.

I think it will have to, if only to drive upgrades for those who have the (otherwise perfect) iPad Air 2.

• Reply 51 of 154
    The pencil will never scroll and no 1st party mouse will ever articulate iOS. Touch idiot. It's called Touch. Not yourself... The big black screen. The marketing is targeted expensive and isn't trolling Best Buys coupon circular or well... Hardly anywhere actually. This device was designed for two reasons

1) Artistic innovation on iOS is booming and marking artistic or not is terrible pre pencil...
    2) iPhone 6 Plus has cannibalized iPad sales on the low end if not erased and while little growth will be made up in this solution in this context by Apple on the PPs sales what will happen is that the niche business they gain cultivate and build out will replenish that missing cash 'lost' on much higher margins with lots less units. The tech press sucks at its job. Tim Cook interviews and Surface comments aside whose laptop is asking be replaced ?

You super power excel user on your Lenovo Chinese plastic top? Or was it it you Addonit Jot Wacom super illustrator wrapped in usb cords ?

Yes perhaps some pcs will be discarded - by no one civilized has ever replaced a Mac with an iPhone pad pro or pencil ... They compliment.

PCs are legacy, plastic and ubiquitous and really actually are going away...no no no not yours Salesforce Slave... Everyone else with an 'awesome' job

Grand Theft Auto is the only thing cultural happening on a PC. And it's 2 years old... And it runs in safe on my MacBook Air. It actually crashes less frequently in boot camp than natively on an Alienware I recently returned.

You know what's the best though- those bumps writers get when they overuse a pencil... The calloused finger hump will be difficult to emulate in white modern world but some asshole will get one
  • Reply 52 of 154
    tjwolf wrote: »
    I'm entitled to my opinion. Sure it's good - and, as you said, graphic artists think it's better than the [electronic] alternatives for their *work*. I was simply musing as to whether a *painter* would consider it good enough to make it his primary medium. I can't imagine it, given the disconnectedness I felt.

But you're admittedly NOT an artist. It's amazing that you find a problem that professionals didn't find.
  • Reply 53 of 154
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member
    Yeah, okay, without mouse support I have no doubt that this will become the de-facto navigation method for those who bought the Pencil, when sitting at a desk working. Sorry but for the same reason why touchscreens on none convertible laptops don't work well apply to the iPad Pro as well, at least with the Pencil it kind of alleviates the awkwardness of having to reach across the keyboard. It's time Apple, you've already released the most hated stylus, now give us mouse support without having to resort to Jail-breaking our iPads. In reality and not Apple fanboy world were everything Apple does is golden, if the iPad ever stands a chance at being a true laptop replacement, archaic as it might be, a step back, whatever, mouse support is definitely needed.  Just using my iPad Air with MS Word and a keyboard, without a mouse, once, was enough for me to never do it again, especially now with these loooooooooooooooooong over due multitasking capabilities.

The whole point is that tablet operating sytems aren't designed for mouse navigation. If you want to use a mouse, use a Macbook. Text input aside, you're meant to operate a tablet with touch. If Apple added mouse support to iPads, they'd turn into the Apple Surface and would please virtually no one.
  • Reply 54 of 154
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

This explains why the Pencil can't be used to scroll or open an app.

Microsoft has been offering stylus control for the past 25 years!!!

It even runs full Windows 3.1 desktop apps!

It has full 386 processor!

It's a tablet that converts into a laptop when you need a keyboard!

Didn't work out so well for them.

This vision of "pen computing" has expired like the Sony Walkman and Apple Newton.

(Sorry about the Flash video, but you know, Google swore an oath to Flash, back when Steve took his unpopular stand against it. Here's a link to the non-embeddable HTML version)

• Reply 55 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's enough to know. If you draw with a Wacom Cinq, you'll have more of a problem, but many professionals use them without a problem. I didn't buy one because I couldn't find a use case, and I can't stand the Companion models. But this combo should be much better.

Anyone considering a Cintiq at this point should look at Astropad (which works with other iPads as well BTW, but presumably best with the Pro/Pencil combo). Check this out: 

• Reply 56 of 154
    launfall wrote: »

Try using the right tool for the job. If you find it difficult to do programming on an iPad, a purpose for which it was not necessarily intended, don't use an iPad. You might also find it difficult to tow a 48' trailer with a VW, a purpose for which it was not intended. Your needs are not valid; they are misplaced.  You don't need an iPad; you need a computer.

He is talking about editing text friend.. Not rendering a complex 3d scene

Have you heard of codea? Its written for ipad.
    And why would ipad be the wrong tool for programing ? ..
  • Reply 57 of 154
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tjwolf View Post

I tried the pencil at the Apple Store this weekend. Indeed it is top notch when it comes to speed and accuracy. But I found it distracting that there was "space" between the tip of the pencil and where the "ink" showed up - i.e. the thickness of the glass made the act of drawing somehow disconnected - and I'm not even an artist; I can't imagine how a painter would deal with this.maybe if Apple went to a different display tech, that may alleviate the issue. Nobody else seems to have a problem with this - I guess I'm just too sensitive :-}

I tried today and I find that it's WAY much better than iPad Air which shows enough "space" - but there was a draw lag on third party apps but not on Notes app.  

Considering my experience with Wacom tablets, the iPad Pro as the smallest "space" I ever seen and it's extremely responsive. I cannot see how much "closer" the space should be. It's as close as possible. I don't know of any other tablets capable of that. 

The iPad Pro doesn't have the friction I expected so I will shop for a plastic screen protector which should give "friction" and with that, I should be happy with it. 

• Reply 58 of 154
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

I absolutely how purposeful, thoughtful, and intentioned Ive always is with his words, and the obvious passion and clarity of thought that leads to the end result. From my short time using the pencil, it definitely fulfills these goals, and is the first time in my life that drawing on a screen actually felt natural to me. 

• Reply 59 of 154

Hi Relic, a mouse is designed for a bitmap screen that doesn't support touch. The technology of the time made the mouse one way for the user to interact with a bitmap screen.

When you fast forward to today, you quite don't need a mouse coz your finger/pencil becomes the mouse pointer that can freely move anywhere. And for the one advantage a traditional mouse has over fingers being you can see were the pointer is on screen when going from point A-B. But this advantage has been replicated with iOS9 and 3D Touch, whereby when you push down on the virtual keyboard it turns into a trackpad allowing you to move your finger on it. While you move your finger iOS9 draws a mouse like pointer on screen following your fingers movement pattern.
  • Reply 60 of 154
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    One thing Apple needs to fix with the keyboard: on the iPad mini and Air the order from the left is number switcher. emoji, dictation. On the iPad Pro the number switcher and emoji are reversed. So I'm constantly hitting the emoji key when I really wanted the number/symbol key. I'm not sure why Apple would have reversed them.