Apple's iPad Pro to sell 2.6M units in Q4 despite significant display, Apple Pencil production issue

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

And how many surface pro and surfaces has MS sold to date? Lets not include the ones they wrote off and gave to some poor school district who have a worthless device.

• Reply 22 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

And how many surface pro and surfaces has MS sold to date? Lets not include the ones they wrote off and gave to some poor school district who have a worthless device.

Guessing what the numbers are - I can only guess.  Microsoft (in July) reported full year sales of the entire surface line to be around $3.6 billion....  Estimates for Surface line (before surface book) were to be maybe 4 million units over 3 quarters in 2015 (probably optimistic side).  So using maybe grand total of between 3.6 million units up to 5.0 million units over the entire Surface / Surface Pro line.... 

Apple is expected to sell (according to guesstimates) maybe 2.6 million in the last quarter and then slightly less in the next quarter.... based on those numbers (which may or may not be correct).... Apple will probably sell at least as many iPad Pro in the first 2 quarters as Microsoft has in all sales (Surface / Surface Pro) for the entire year (not apples to apples comparison since it does not include iPad Air).  Which would be funny given that the press has been spinning it as can Apple iPad Pro catch up to Microsoft Surface Pro 4 ....

By that measure - the iPad Pro (which I thought early on would have no market - until I saw what they had come out with) "niche" market will be a resounding success.  I expect it will pick up overall later next year (after the ecosystem starts coming with iPad Pro targetted apps) the market will actually rise......  And if they make the iPad Air 3 with the same technology - my guess is there will finally be enough of reason to upgrade ... and the soft iPad numbers will also firm.

All of that though is very very speculative.

• Reply 23 of 36
    I played with the ipad pro at best buy the other day. Hated it!
    So light it felt flimsy and cheap. And I was not wowed by the screen. I'll get the iPad mini 4 instead.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    Just a short note...

Well, that didn't take long. This time. iPad pro went from underdog to "must have" device faster than the first iPhone did!

Remember, Ballmer thought iphone wouldn't sell. Then, it was paradigm!

Just about all of Apples new efforts get kicked at upon release.
    Then the recanting....
    ....same old story...Apple bashing...then copiy.....y'all read it before..haha
  • Reply 25 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

So light it felt flimsy and cheap. And I was not wowed by the screen. I'll get the iPad mini 4 instead.

If you are going for a mini, you were likely the farthest away from interested target audience to begin with.  

The display while good, is not the best of the breed for colour -- probably because the technology was balanced by the needs to have variable refresh (30 - 240) and there being no gap between the pencil and the displayed drawing (using a normal ipad with a pen there is a very big noticeable gap between the pen and the line being drawn - which is really annoying) -- etc.  Again a balance of compromises.  

• Reply 26 of 36

I watched the "Macbreak Weekly" (video) podcast and they seem to be generally really impressed with theirs.

• Reply 27 of 36
    maccherry wrote: »

You must've been using a Surface without realizing it. I tried one last weekend and was blown away with the increased size and the responsiveness of the Pencil. Placed my order already.

Consider changing your screen name to "Rotten Egg".
  • Reply 28 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You must've been using a Surface without realizing it. I tried one last weekend and was blown away with the increased size and the responsiveness of the Pencil. Placed my order already.

Consider changing your screen name to "Rotten Egg".

The display doesn't always look as good as it could because scaling of apps isn't great right now. Things often look too large on the Pro and the virtual keyboard scaling isn't great. I'm on the fence when it comes to returning mine until Apple gets the optimization right for the Pro. It's one of main complains I have seen when the Pro is reviewed. 

• Reply 29 of 36
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    Yes the proverbial analyst "dip forecast" comment is included. The analyst community once again predicts we are entering peak iOS/APPL.

We will see...we will see...
  • Reply 30 of 36
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Pencil production issues are exactly what I've been saying. Otherwise, there is no reason why this should be taking so long to arrive. But the problems will get fixed before too long. They always do.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    rogifan wrote: »
    I said I don't think Cook's Apple is very good at the "why" and I still think that.

Sales went from $65 billion to $231 billion since he took over. I guess he can't convince people to buy Apple's products.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    bkkcanuck wrote: »
    Guessing what the numbers are - I can only guess.  Microsoft (in July) reported full year sales of the entire surface line to be around $3.6 billion....  Estimates for Surface line (before surface book) were to be maybe 4 million units over 3 quarters in 2015 (probably optimistic side).  So using maybe grand total of between 3.6 million units up to 5.0 million units over the entire Surface / Surface Pro line.... 

Apple is expected to sell (according to guesstimates) maybe 2.6 million in the last quarter and then slightly less in the next quarter.... based on those numbers (which may or may not be correct).... Apple will probably sell at least as many iPad Pro in the first 2 quarters as Microsoft has in all sales (Surface / Surface Pro) for the entire year (not apples to apples comparison since it does not include iPad Air).  Which would be funny given that the press has been spinning it as can Apple iPad Pro catch up to Microsoft Surface Pro 4 ....

By that measure - the iPad Pro (which I thought early on would have no market - until I saw what they had come out with) "niche" market will be a resounding success.  I expect it will pick up overall later next year (after the ecosystem starts coming with iPad Pro targetted apps) the market will actually rise......  And if they make the iPad Air 3 with the same technology - my guess is there will finally be enough of reason to upgrade ... and the soft iPad numbers will also firm.

All of that though is very very speculative.

About 3 million in the past 12 months, going by the sales dollars.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    maccherry wrote: »

I hope you're being sarcastic, because, otherwise, that's a very strange post.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    bkkcanuck wrote: »
    If you are going for a mini, you were likely the farthest away from interested target audience to begin with.  

The display while good, is not the best of the breed for colour -- probably because the technology was balanced by the needs to have variable refresh (30 - 240) and there being no gap between the pencil and the displayed drawing (using a normal ipad with a pen there is a very big noticeable gap between the pen and the line being drawn - which is really annoying) -- etc.  Again a balance of compromises.  

Actually, the screen is very good. The differences that are being reported are very small, and won't be seen by anyone. Color was my business for many years. The differences I'm reading about are minuscule. Of no practical importance, other than ultimate brightness, which only matters in direct sunlight, which is not a place where I would ever work on anything critical.

As far as the distance between the tip and the screen goes, it's tiny. We've already been over this. This is one of the smallest distances of any product I've seen. The Wacom Cinq distances are very noticeably greater, and yet, it doesn't matter at all. Once Apple bonded the glass to the screen, most of the gap went away, along with all of those internal reflections.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    atlapple wrote: »

The display doesn't always look as good as it could because scaling of apps isn't great right now. Things often look too large on the Pro and the virtual keyboard scaling isn't great. I'm on the fence when it comes to returning mine until Apple gets the optimization right for the Pro. It's one of main complains I have seen when the Pro is reviewed. 

So you're saying that two months from now, when most all apps will take advantage of the higher resolution screen, you will be buying this back? I don't get some people, just how impatient are you?